X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    The exchange.
    We've done prisoner exchanges in the past, but those were for officially recognized POWs. They've been rare, involving high-level officers. This is the first I know of that involves 1) an NCO, and 2) a non-POW, let alone six (five and one).
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      The exchange.
      Oh, I thought you meant invading a country based on fake intelligence. I think we've been working out prisoner exchanges since the Revolution, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        Oh, I thought you meant invading a country based on fake intelligence. I think we've been working out prisoner exchanges since the Revolution, but I could be wrong.
        You're being willfully obtuse. I know that you see the difference between prisoner exchanges with the Soviet Union and negotiating with non-governmental terrorist organizations like the Taliban, but a Democrat did it so heaven forbid you should admit that in public - and while you're at it, why not take a shot at a Republican, too?
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          You're being willfully obtuse. I know that you see the difference between prisoner exchanges with the Soviet Union and negotiating with non-governmental terrorist organizations like the Taliban, but a Democrat did it so heaven forbid you should admit that in public - and while you're at it, why not take a shot at a Republican, too?
          We fought the Soviet Union in the Revolution?? Do you work for the History channel?

Criticism of Obama is purely political. If a Tory president had done this, his party would be celebrating it and Democrats would be lamenting it - if they said anything at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            We fought the Soviet Union in the Revolution?? Do you work for the History channel?
            Your point seemed to be that prisoner exchanges "since the Revolution" have all been roughly the same, so nothing to see here with this one. I just picked a random country that we've had exchanges with during the time span you mentioned (1775 to present).

Do you, or do you not see why people might think this one is different than an exchange with the Soviet Union was?

Comment

Not only was I wholly against the 2nd invasion of Iraq, but your response is a dodge of the point.

Oh and Obama has sucked ballz and that's not political.

Comment

Your point seemed to be that prisoner exchanges "since the Revolution" have all been roughly the same, so nothing to see here with this one. I just picked a random country that we've had exchanges with during the time span you mentioned (1775 to present).

Do you, or do you not see why people might think this one is different than an exchange with the Soviet Union was?
                No, I don't see why it would be different. We gave the Iranians a bunch of weapons for a few civilians and there wasn't a rash of kidnapping of Americans overseas as a result.

Comment

May I point out that back in the day, kidnapping civilians for ransom was big business in Lebanon. Good business too, until they kidnapped a Soviet. Then business got bad.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

No, I don't see why it would be different. We gave the Iranians a bunch of weapons for a few civilians and there wasn't a rash of kidnapping of Americans overseas as a result.
                    Since when are the Iranians a non-governmental terrorist organization?

Comment

Since when are the Iranians a non-governmental terrorist organization?

Comment

I didn't know, but I just did some research online and see the maximum penalty for desertion since 9/11 is two years in prison with most defendants receiving less than 12 months. It seems unlikely this guy is going to be tried for desertion since most public opinion of him is that he was a POW.
                        So because public opinion is based upon a naive lie about this gentleman and despite the overt evidence that this guy is at minimum a deserter, this means he shouldn't be tried?

You do realize we tried and convicted a man not too long ago for desertion to North Korea after his release some 40 years later.

----

Your spin on this is cute. 5 top Taliban commanders, of which 2 are wanted for trial at The Hague for one guy for which all evidence suggests he deserted to join the afghan Boy Scouts after he realized he wasn't in the peace corps.

All of this done without even consulting congress in a secure manner as has been done almost always since World War II.

And all this is ok because at the heart we're all meanie head haterz who supposedly looked the other way if it were Bush.

"Tough decisions" are no excuse for bad decisions and you don't get credit for them. This wasn't threading a needle... This was foot shooting 101.
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

You do realize the same people howling about him being a deserter now would seriously !@#$% if it were discovered we had a chance to bring him home and chose not too.

Step one get him home. Now if anyone in the military wants to put him on trial, feel free to do so.

Comment

Oh, I'm sorry - didn't realize that I needed to specify that we were talking about the *real* world.

Comment

• Originally posted by sagard View Post
                              You do realize the same people howling about him being a deserter now would seriously !@#$% if it were discovered we had a chance to bring him home and chose not too.

Step one get him home. Now if anyone in the military wants to put him on trial, feel free to do so.
                              5 Taliban commanders, i don't even think a POW has that value
                              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                              Skating Friar Jersey
                              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by Patman View Post
                                So because public opinion is based upon a naive lie about this gentleman and despite the overt evidence that this guy is at minimum a deserter, this means he shouldn't be tried?
                                I didn't say he shouldn't be tried, I said it was unlikely that he would be tried. Popular opinion cloud an issue on prosecution? In America? No!

You do realize we tried and convicted a man not too long ago for desertion to North Korea after his release some 40 years later.
                                No. You know why I didn't know that? Because no one mentioned it. It wasn't a story.

Your spin on this is cute. 5 top Taliban commanders, of which 2 are wanted for trial at The Hague for one guy for which all evidence suggests he deserted to join the afghan Boy Scouts after he realized he wasn't in the peace corps.
                                Speaking of spin....

But Sarah Palin has declared the guy guilty in a Facebook post, so I guess that settles it!

Comment

Working...
                                X