This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

Maybe now that Russia won the Mickey Mouse World Championships in hockey, Vlad will be less cranky. It all started when TJ Oshie made Bobrovsky his bee-yotch.
    Twitter: DanMountSports
    2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Is it just me, or does this Bergdahl - Taliban trade stink of politics and read like the plot of Homeland?

A reportedly nutbar deserter for five high level terrorists who'll be back in action after a year's vacay in Qatar? And now, it'll be open season on capturing US troops to use as trade bait.

From all that I've read, his parents are as wackadoodle as he supposedly is.

Ray Shero would be embarrassed by this deal.
      Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

I rarely frequent threads like this and am not coming at this with any political slant. I'm simply seeking info. What am I missing about Bergdahl? Is he someone of utmost importance to us so that giving up 5 bad guys turns out to be an equal "transaction". I don't want to come across as insensitive, I just don't understand why we were so willing to make this deal.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          I rarely frequent threads like this and am not coming at this with any political slant. I'm simply seeking info. What am I missing about Bergdahl? Is he someone of utmost importance to us so that giving up 5 bad guys turns out to be an equal "transaction". I don't want to come across as insensitive, I just don't understand why we were so willing to make this deal.
          Good analyses from author Brad Thor and from Lt. Col Alan West

Thor:

U.S. Army Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl has been released from captivity. That’s the good news. Every American and every freedom-loving person in the world should rejoice. The reunion with his family will be a major media moment and a major moment for the president. The bad news is that President Obama has now placed a target on the back of every single American – civilian and military alike.

For more than 200 years, the United States has had a policy of not trading prisoners for American hostages. That policy has been shredded and international travel to even cities like London, Paris, and Amsterdam will now pose an exceptional danger for Americans.

And as Americans, we must all ask: at what price was Sgt. Bergdahl’s freedom purchased?
          West:

So, we must have a discussion of the truth here. Army SGT Bergdahl was not “captured” by the enemy in 2009. He abandoned his assigned post on his Forward Operating Base (FOB), leaving his weapon. Several U.S. Army Soldiers lost their lives in search for Bergdahl. His disappearance can only be classified as desertion and the media must not be so giddy about a good news story that they don’t tell the truth — which is apparent to many. The allegation of desertion is serious. It is grave because it occurred during a war, during combat operations.

The U.S. Army must uphold proper order and discipline and this allegation must be investigated — but the truth is already known. I believe the liberal media will attempt to elevate him to some type of status that will cause the Army not to pursue the right direction under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). We who have served in Iraq, Afghanistan, and other combat areas of operation against radical Islamists know they don’t hold our troops — they are savagely and brutally murdered. They exist to kill Americans.

Are we glad that Bergdahl is home? After five years, yes, but there are many unanswered questions that cannot be dismissed because of emotions.
          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveP View Post

Thor:

West:
            Not to be too picky, but we haven't been at war since Japan surrendered in 1945. People are quick to point that out to me when I raise the treason question. So, legally, if what West says is true, is it still desertion since war was never declared? Since the maximum penalty for desertion in a time of war is death it's kind of an important technicality.

And here begins OP claiming I'm a terrorist sympathizer or have a bleeding heart or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              Not to be too picky, but we haven't been at war since Japan surrendered in 1945. People are quick to point that out to me when I raise the treason question. So, legally, if what West says is true, is it still desertion since war was never declared? Since the maximum penalty for desertion in a time of war is death it's kind of an important technicality.

And here begins OP claiming I'm a terrorist sympathizer or have a bleeding heart or whatever.
              A war declaration does not need to be made in order to have a state of war, for such rules and penalties to apply to our troops.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                A war declaration does not need to be made in order to have a state of war, for such rules and penalties to apply to our troops.
                I didn't know, but I just did some research online and see the maximum penalty for desertion since 9/11 is two years in prison with most defendants receiving less than 12 months. It seems unlikely this guy is going to be tried for desertion since most public opinion of him is that he was a POW.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post

Was he receiving combat pay at the time? If so, then *he* was at war, regardless of whether or not there was a formal declaration of war.
                  If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveP View Post

Thor:

West:
                    I don't know about the other guy, but Allen West has as much credibility as Al Sharpton.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      I don't know about the other guy, but Allen West has as much credibility as Al Sharpton.
                      His name is Thor! You dare challenge a Viking God???

Comment

while i will never know all the details, i just can't make sense of why this was done

Comment

I won't label you, but war or not if you refuse to recognize that this sets a dangerous precedent....

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            I won't label you, but war or not if you refuse to recognize that this sets a dangerous precedent....
                            http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...-make-deals-t/

It's debatable whether this is really a new precedent or simply a continuation of how things have always gone.

Edit: presuming you were taking about the overall issue. I don't know military law or anything about the definition of desertion if that's what you were referring to.
                            Last edited by unofan; 06-02-2014, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              What sets a dangerous precedent?

Comment

What sets a dangerous precedent?
                                The exchange.

Comment

Working...
                                X