X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    He was responding to a question raised by Fishy. You should criticize him.
    Put away your whistle and MYOFB.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
      Put away your whistle and MYOFB.

Up a little late tonight Old Man?

As Priceless deftly pointed out, I was correcting a Fishbreath analogy about the Civil War, a war I believe you served in (for the Confederacy, of course ).

However, I still challenge you to point out what you would do differently than what Obama is already doing, aside from your asinine suggestion that we send the Navy into the Black Sea, even though you want no US military involvement which either makes them sitting ducks or is a useless show of force that Putin will ignore. Oh, I did like your Rambo suggestion however....
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Putin is baiting America. He wants us to send ships and put boots on the ground. In fact, he needs us to do exactly that, so he can paint it as a "War of Western Aggression" and further justify Russia's actions to "protect" their ethnic population in Crimea.

Much like these boards, we shouldn't feed the troll. Instead, isolate them - kick them out of the G8, convince as many countries as possible not to buy their oil, and freeze their assets abroad. Then, Putin can print as many volumes of "Super Putin" with American villains as he wants, and it won't matter as long as the czars and their pawns in Moscow are feeling the pinch financially.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Putin is baiting America. He wants us to send ships and put boots on the ground.
          You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to FadeToBlack&Gold again.

One idea we had was to send a trivial, token number of troops to Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Ukraine, merely for "training" purposes to work with the locals. Way too few to be serious, just enough to be symbolic, put them there just in case they might need to be "rescued" down the line. Use Putin's own logic against him.

We also need to reopen dialog with Poland and Hungary about placing missile defenses back. In retrospect it obviously was an error in judgment to unilaterally agree not to follow through on what he had promised them earlier.

More than anything else, I wish 0bama would just STOP TALKING! It's almost like, no matter what he says, Putin will do the opposite, merely for spite.
          Last edited by FreshFish; 03-21-2014, 10:18 AM.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Putin is baiting America. He wants us to send ships and put boots on the ground. In fact, he needs us to do exactly that, so he can paint it as a "War of Western Aggression" and further justify Russia's actions to "protect" their ethnic population in Crimea.

Much like these boards, we shouldn't feed the troll. Instead, isolate them - kick them out of the G8, convince as many countries as possible not to buy their oil, and freeze their assets abroad. Then, Putin can print as many volumes of "Super Putin" with American villains as he wants, and it won't matter as long as the czars and their pawns in Moscow are feeling the pinch financially.
            There's a larger point here to make that I somewhat side with the righties on instead of my fellow lefties, and its the question of energy independence. Everyone would like the US to be energy independent from the greens to the coal industry. It looks like we're well on our way. My philosophy takes it to the next level: energy dominance, baby!

While this does no good in the short term, and its been stated in a recent article that Ukraine has no capacity to accept natural gas shipments even if the US was in the exporting business, longer term I want this country to have a vice like grip on energy production, so much so that you can force the squishy Europeans to do the right thing on sanctions, and punish Putin's kleptocracy by shutting down the one thing of worth (aside from vodka) that his country produces. Cut his energy exports and Vlady will do whatever we please. The trick is to be able to do that without harming our allies who depend on Russian energy exports.

So I would approve Keystone, not because it will drop oil prices one iota, but because it ensures we control Canadian oil. I would frack the entire Rust Belt because that area can't get much worse anyway. I would go crazy on renewable energy as the US should be getting as much of its power generation, etc as possible from these sources, while simultaneously screwing our enemies and rewarding our friends with a robust export scheme for oil and natural gas and frankly coal. Do this and not only irrational nuts like Putin but more clever leaders like the Communist dictatorship in China will have to play ball with the United States as they produce little of their own energy needs.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
              Up a little late tonight Old Man?

As Priceless deftly pointed out, I was correcting a Fishbreath analogy about the Civil War, a war I believe you served in (for the Confederacy, of course ).

However, I still challenge you to point out what you would do differently than what Obama is already doing, aside from your asinine suggestion that we send the Navy into the Black Sea, even though you want no US military involvement which either makes them sitting ducks or is a useless show of force that Putin will ignore. Oh, I did like your Rambo suggestion however....
              If it's a "asinine" to send the Navy into the Black Sea, you better get on the blower to Neville.

Comment

If it's a "asinine" to send the Navy into the Black Sea, you better get on the blower to Neville.
                Opie I don't call Obama. He calls me.

Comment

Opie I don't call Obama. He calls me.
                  Are we allowed to guess what he calls you?

Comment

There's a larger point here to make that I somewhat side with the righties on instead of my fellow lefties, and its the question of energy independence. Everyone would like the US to be energy independent from the greens to the coal industry. It looks like we're well on our way. My philosophy takes it to the next level: energy dominance, baby!

While this does no good in the short term, and its been stated in a recent article that Ukraine has no capacity to accept natural gas shipments even if the US was in the exporting business, longer term I want this country to have a vice like grip on energy production, so much so that you can force the squishy Europeans to do the right thing on sanctions, and punish Putin's kleptocracy by shutting down the one thing of worth (aside from vodka) that his country produces. Cut his energy exports and Vlady will do whatever we please. The trick is to be able to do that without harming our allies who depend on Russian energy exports.

So I would approve Keystone, not because it will drop oil prices one iota, but because it ensures we control Canadian oil. I would frack the entire Rust Belt because that area can't get much worse anyway. I would go crazy on renewable energy as the US should be getting as much of its power generation, etc as possible from these sources, while simultaneously screwing our enemies and rewarding our friends with a robust export scheme for oil and natural gas and frankly coal. Do this and not only irrational nuts like Putin but more clever leaders like the Communist dictatorship in China will have to play ball with the United States as they produce little of their own energy needs.
                    First off, while Ukraine cannot accept NG shipments, our European allies can. And as long as there are no check valves in the pipeline, last time I checked the natural gas can flow in either direction in the pipeline. So...ship the LNG to Western Europe and flow it backwards to Ukraine.

As to whether we should frack the whole rust belt, I'm of a mixed mind on that. I live on the edge of the fracking zone in PA, and without proper environmental regulation, I can see a disaster happening. There are already problems. On the other hand, my company sells 80% of the specialized exchangers that are used to liquefy natural gas and are the only US manufacturer. If the US gets to export LNG like everyone is saying, my company will make a lot of money.
                    Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Are we allowed to guess what he calls you?

Sir, usually. Although once in awhile he refers to me as The Rovmeister.

Hey, you asked....

Comment

Sir, usually. Although once in awhile he refers to me as The Rovmeister.

Hey, you asked....
                        Do you slow jam with him too?
                        Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                          Do you slow jam with him too?
                          Nah, he blew me off for that little bahstid Jimmy Fallon.

Comment

Turkey intends to attack itself and blame Syria in order to provoke World War III. Discussion and associated transcript, translated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OodqnMj20wc

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              Turkey intends to attack itself and blame Syria in order to provoke World War III. Discussion and associated transcript, translated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OodqnMj20wc
                              July 2014 timetable?
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Subscribed because I can't miss this preview of WWIII
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X