X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Russia should pay a price economically for this, as we don't want more powerful countries swallowing up the territory of weaker nations just because they have some citizens there. Crimea is a somewhat unique situation as it was Russian before given away by the leader of a defunct empire 50 years ago. Beyond putting the squeeze on Putin and his buddies however, there's little more the US should be doing. I would boot them out of the G-8 however and he can kiss off hosting any more splashy international events ever again to boost the image of his kleptocracy.
    He's already got the 2018 World Cup in his back pocket.

Certainly there's an argument for a majority of people in an area having a say in what country they want to be a part of. But the way this was gone about was wrong in so many ways that it's hard to have a lot of sympathy for the slight ethnic Russian majority doing what they're doing. And then of course you have all sorts of legal messes with Ukranian assets in Crimea, the fact that Crimea gets most of their electricity and water from Ukraine, etc.
    Originally posted by Priceless
    Good to see you're so reasonable.
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
    Very well, said.
    Originally posted by Rover
    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
      Regardless of the presence of the Russian military or whether you believe the first digit of the vote tally, it seems pretty clear to me that joining Russia is the will of the majority of people in Crimea....
      By that logic, then, Lincoln was wrong to stop the Confederacy from seceding in 1861, no??
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
        By that logic, then, Lincoln was wrong to stop the Confederacy from seceding in 1861, no??
        Yes, I think he was. There were a great many more options available than the route chosen by Lincoln, but that would go down a path that's highly off topic.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

...or allowing Miami joining Cuba, if it decided to do so.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

I still say Reagan would have sent Rambo, Aaaanold, and Chuck Norris over there to mop the Crimea with Russia's troops. Its a sign of weakness that Obama won't send fictional characters and aging action movie stars from 30 years ago to do what needs to be done.
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Yes. He was. For that and a myriad of other reasons including how awful it is to have the South weighing us down with political BS all the time.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

How does that follow? I'm not speculating on what the *Ukraine* should or shouldn't (try to) do about it. It's a little different when a piece of your own country tries to break away than someone else's does, yes?
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Interestingly enough, Lincoln's reasoning for preserving the union were simple enough, but not brought up yet out here. He felt that if you allowed the country to split over one issue, those pieces would keep dividing up until there were a dozen bickering countries sharing the territory that used to make up the united states, and that would be the death of democratic govt.

The stakes aren't quite as high in Ukraine, and besides, Lincoln didn't ask any other country to bear the brunt of the fighting. His military did that themselves (and suffered horrific losses in the process. More American soldiers died in the Civil War, counting both sides, than WWI and WWII combined).

So as many of us have been saying, its up to these countries (Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Ukraine) to solve their own fvcking problems, much like we've been doing here in the USA for the last 200+ years.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    Interestingly enough, Lincoln's reasoning for preserving the union were simple enough, but not brought up yet out here. He felt that if you allowed the country to split over one issue, those pieces would keep dividing up until there were a dozen bickering countries sharing the territory that used to make up the united states, and that would be the death of democratic govt.

The stakes aren't quite as high in Ukraine, and besides, Lincoln didn't ask any other country to bear the brunt of the fighting. His military did that themselves (and suffered horrific losses in the process. More American soldiers died in the Civil War, counting both sides, than WWI and WWII combined).

So as many of us have been saying, its up to these countries (Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Ukraine) to solve their own fvcking problems, much like we've been doing here in the USA for the last 200+ years.
                    Hear! Hear!
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Hear! Hear!
                      What are you, some kind of freakin libral?

Comment

Interesting take on Russia - the more things change, the more things stay the same?

http://www.aawsat.net/2014/03/article55329733
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Wait a minute. You're the donkey who's always criticizing my examples of ******* misdemeanors as being "too far in the past to be relevant." Yet now you offer up the response to a 19th century domestic political matter (with no troops massed on our borders) as being on point for how we should proceed in Europe today. That's presumably the same "thought" process by which you declared certain responses to Russia suggested by me as "stupid" but remained mute when HIM did more or less what I suggested. Just out of curiosity, do you actually ever read the shiza you post? Or are you just some sort of ******* mynah bird, pecking away randomly at a key board? All reflex and no brains.
                          Last edited by Old Pio; 03-20-2014, 08:45 PM.
                          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Hear! Hear!
                            Naturally, the more confused he is, the more you agree.
                            Last edited by Old Pio; 03-20-2014, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I still say Reagan would have sent Rambo, Aaaanold, and Chuck Norris over there to mop the Crimea with Russia's troops. Its a sign of weakness that Obama won't send fictional characters and aging action movie stars from 30 years ago to do what needs to be done.
                              We could always send a delegation of *******s headed by Barbra Streisand (and other members of F.A.G.) to bore them to death.
                              Last edited by Old Pio; 03-21-2014, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                                Wait a minute. You're the donkey who's always criticizing my examples of ******* misdemeanors as being "too far in the past to be relevant." Yet now you offer up the response to a 19th century domestic political matter (with no troops massed on our borders) as being on point for how we should proceed in Europe today. That's presumably the same "thought" process by which you declared certain responses to Russia suggested by me as "stupid" but remained mute when HIM did more or less what I suggested. Just out of curiosity, do you actually ever read the shiza you post? Or are you just some sort of ******* mynah bird, pecking away randomly at a key board? All reflex and no brains.
                                He was responding to a question raised by Fishy. You should criticize him.

Comment

Working...
                                X