This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Lindsey Graham went all in this morning on Fox News Sunday. Never seen any Senator so angry and so anxious for war in my life.
    Henry Clay reincarnated.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

Please tell me this is from the Onion. What, its not? We are so FUBAR!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/wo...core-ipad&_r=0

If he had been “an adviser to ISIS,” Mr. Obama added, he would not have killed the hostages but released them and pinned notes on their chests saying, “Stay out of here; this is none of your business.” Such a move, he speculated, might have undercut support for military intervention.
      Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        Well of course he wants war...it isnt like he will be the one dying over there. These guys got no skin in the game its all a big game of Risk to them.

We need to not go to war period. Havent enough Americans died trying to fix an unfixable problem? This bloodlust some have to prove they are still young and verile by sending young men and women to die is disgusting.

But hey, if we are off killing all the dirty sand people, we dont have to pay attention to the fact that Rome is burning right? Its like none of these people took a history class..world or US.

No more War...I dont care who is president. Enough Americans have died and nothing we do will change any of this.
        Jeanette Rankin lives
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

As a public service to peaceniks who may need some inspiration (or reminding), a medley of your greatest hit.

http://www.zombietime.com/zomblog/?p=621#photos

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
            Jeanette Rankin lives
            I don't think we should be involved. Not in our interests.
            But, if the Congress votes to go in, we go in with the gloves off. No "rules" other than to win.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              I don't think we should be involved. Not in our interests.
              But, if the Congress votes to go in, we go in with the gloves off. No "rules" other than to win.
              That's a defensible position. I was responding to that uber-childish peacenik crapola about having "skin in the game." Who should make these decisions? Some PFCs over a pitcher of beer at an enlisted club? As to the notion of "no more war," even a peacenik should be aware that decision isn't always up to us. Hence my reference to Jeanette Rankin. Kepler has recommended reinstating the draft just to make certain the dreaded Neocons' kids are in the front lines, or something. So in the customary lefty embracing of the First Amendment, those who have a different opinion from his should have their sons killed. Biblical. Stupid. But Biblical.
              Last edited by Old Pio; 09-14-2014, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Kepler has recommended reinstating the draft just to make certain the dreaded Neocons' kids are in the front lines, or something.
                If that is Kepler's intent, he's not so sharp after all. Politicians would make sure their kids got high numbers, or a safe spot at home in the National Guard, just like the old days.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  If that is Kepler's intent, he's not so sharp after all. Politicians would make sure their kids got high numbers, or a safe spot at home in the National Guard, just like the old days.
                  Peacenik cynicism is more contagious than Ebola.

"If that's his intent?"

"The best way to stop the Neocons is to bring back the draft. When it's your precious unique snowflake who will be missile fodder, all of a sudden patriotic appeals to abstract principles of nationalism somehow sound a little... hollow."

"Put every signator of the PNAC, AEI, and AIPAC charters in the infantry along with every one of their descendants and then maybe we can talk. Robert Kagan and Victor Davis Hanson are always going on about the glory that was the Greek hoplite. Time to put up or shut up."

Another full throated lefty endorsement of the First Amendment.
                  Last edited by Old Pio; 09-14-2014, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Peacenik cynicism is more contagious than Ebola.

"If that's his intent?"

"The best way to stop the Neocons is to bring back the draft. When it's your precious unique snowflake who will be missile fodder, all of a sudden patriotic appeals to abstract principles of nationalism somehow sound a little... hollow."

"Put every signator of the PNAC, AEI, and AIPAC charters in the infantry along with every one of their descendants and then maybe we can talk. Robert Kagan and Victor Davis Hanson are always going on about the glory that was the Greek hoplite. Time to put up or shut up."

Another full throated lefty endorsement of the First Amendment.
                    Thankfully, dementia is not contagious.

So in the customary lefty embracing of the First Amendment, those who have a different opinion from his should have their sons killed. Biblical. Stupid. But Biblical.
                    Looks like we need a "Jump to Conclusions!" board, stat. No one is saying that anyone's kids should be killed on the front lines, what is being said is that people tend to think twice about voicing approval for being Team America: World Police, when it's your kid who's going over there and putting their life on the line.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      Thankfully, dementia is not contagious.

Looks like we need a "Jump to Conclusions!" board, stat. No one is saying that anyone's kids should be killed on the front lines, what is being said is that people tend to think twice about voicing approval for being Team America: World Police, when it's your kid who's going over there and putting their life on the line.
                      Dressing your bull sh*t up in the reassuring balm of lefty equivocation doesn't change what it is: advocating death (or at least the risk of death) for the sons of people who disagree with you.
                      Last edited by Old Pio; 09-15-2014, 12:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                        Dressing your bull sh*t up in the reassuring balm of lefty equivocation doesn't change what it is: advocating death (or at least the risk of death) for the sons of people who disagree with you.
                        No, it's a simple statement. If you want this country to go to war then line your * up to fight like the rest. In almost all cases they're not voting to send their families to fight and that effects their stances.

I'm sorry but I'm tired of seeing my generation fight and die or be physically destroyed or mentally destroyed AGAIN for people that, by and large, do not want us there. Is this some kind of baby boomer revenge for Vietnam? Like, you guys got *ed up, couldn't stick it to Gen X so let's stick it to Gen Y?
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                          No, it's a simple statement. If you want this country to go to war then line your * up to fight like the rest. In almost all cases they're not voting to send their families to fight and that effects their stances.

I'm sorry but I'm tired of seeing my generation fight and die or be physically destroyed or mentally destroyed AGAIN for people that, by and large, do not want us there. Is this some kind of baby boomer revenge for Vietnam? Like, you guys got *ed up, couldn't stick it to Gen X so let's stick it to Gen Y?
                          Exactly right. Never liked Michael Moore as he's a conspiracy theorist, but he made two great points in Fahrenheit 9/11, which was out of all the members of Congress only one had a kid fighting in Iraq, and that whenever recruiters go out trying to sign people up, they go to the poorest neighborhoods and not the wealthy ones, since the people who are most willing to answer the call to arms are the ones who get the least back from society.

To their credit, a good amount of USCHO conservatives are against boots on the ground in Iraq/Syria based on their posts out here. Its really just the usual old dead enders, who most likely were never around when the shooting started in their own war ala Dick Cheney, advocating another ground war. Funniest moment yet own the talk show circuit was when some lady called out Bill Kristol to his face, telling him if he wanted to go to war so bad why doesn't he sign up for the Iraqi Army. As you could expect, he didn't have an answer.
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post

There are about 42 million people in their 20's in the U.S. right now. I think the casualty figures for Iraq/Afghanistan are probably somewhere in the 5000-6000 range. If the wounded figures follow historical averages, they're probably 3x or 4x the number of dead. Obviously tragic for those involved, but I'm pretty sure your "generation" is going to survive the carnage.

Offspring of the wealthy and privileged have been playing the role of "fortunate son" since medieval times, and probably before. But the nice thing is, and as the media reminds us, the wealthy and privileged make up such a tiny percentage of the population in this country, their kids won't hardly be missed.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              There are about 42 million people in their 20's in the U.S. right now. I think the casualty figures for Iraq/Afghanistan are probably somewhere in the 5000-6000 range. If the wounded figures follow historical averages, they're probably 3x or 4x the number of dead. Obviously tragic for those involved, but I'm pretty sure your "generation" is going to survive the carnage.

Offspring of the wealthy and privileged have been playing the role of "fortunate son" since medieval times, and probably before. But the nice thing is, and as the media reminds us, the wealthy and privileged make up such a tiny percentage of the population in this country, their kids won't hardly be missed.
                              During the Middle Ages, the nobility's kids weren't exempt from fighting, they were there right with the commoners. The difference between them at the time was that the upperclass had the latest armor and weaons while the commoners had a leather jerkin, if they were lucky, and a pike, pitchfork, low quality sword or something similar, and the commoners were part of the first wave of the attack while the nobility would either be further back in the pack or part of the cavalry.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                To their credit, a good amount of USCHO conservatives are against boots on the ground in Iraq/Syria based on their posts out here. Its really just the usual old dead enders, who most likely were never around when the shooting started in their own war ala Dick Cheney, advocating another ground war. Funniest moment yet own the talk show circuit was when some lady called out Bill Kristol to his face, telling him if he wanted to go to war so bad why doesn't he sign up for the Iraqi Army. As you could expect, he didn't have an answer.
                                Indeed. In fact it has been remarkable that the people in the right wing think tanks that have been the most bellicose are the very ones who worked the system to obtain every deferment so their own precious hide was never at risk. The chicken hawk wing of the GOP is far less powerful now than it was in 2000, and that reflects well on American conservatives who have had enough of the Cheneys and Kristols and Kagans. The Neocons were always a weird cross-breeding of Ivory tower intellectuals with zero real life experience who spun delicate webs of justification on highly questionable philosophical assumptions -- Leo Strauss and all his apostles -- grafted onto a hardcore cynical group who saw their opportunity to use an available tool to drive through their agenda and make a killing, both at the bank and at the morgue -- the Cheneys and their ilk. It sounds like the typical Republican no longer listens to either group, and the only reason they get any oxygen at all is they blanket talk shows 24/7 shilling their books and bankrupt ideas.

What the right needs, however, is a credible set of foreign policy objectives to rally around. They've sucked out some of the poison, which is great, but for pure political reasons they must also always find fault with whatever any Democrat suggests. The obvious solution -- to come up with their own plan -- they have so far failed to do. It's as if they're so exhausted from their civil war that they don't have time to actually build anything new.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X