X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    This is a more realistic explanation, it seems to me. The evidence was ambivalent, and some of the evidence was over-emphasized while other parts of the evidence was de-emphasized.
    Except it wasn't. The evidence was overwhelmingly against the WH case, but everybody was told to ignore the 90% and forward the 10%.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      This is a more realistic explanation, it seems to me. The evidence was ambivalent, and some of the evidence was over-emphasized while other parts of the evidence was de-emphasized.
      No.

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Congressman/women refers to members of the House.
      Senator is the proper honorific for members of the Senate.
      I used Congressman to group everyone from both Houses together. If that's wrong, sue me.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        I used Congressman to group everyone from both Houses together. If that's wrong, sue me.
        Geez! Stop drinking the coffee!
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Would people be mad at Bush had he pushed for the war based upon Saddam firing SAMs at US fighter jets patrolling the do-not-fly zones in Iraq that were setup as the result of Desert Storm? During the late 90's and into early 2000, I recall news stories of just that happening, but the idea of re-invading Iraq on those grounds were never mentioned event though firing those SAMs were acts of war upon the US.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            That's how I do it, too. If I want to specify someone from the populist house, I say Representative. Senators are most definitely Congressmen, err...Congresspeople, Congresscritters, whatever.
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
              That's how I do it, too. If I want to specify someone from the populist house, I say Representative. Senators are most definitely Congressmen, err...Congresspeople, Congresscritters, whatever.
              The typical usage is this: you can call a Senator a "Member of Congress" but never a Congressman. I kid thee not, they care about the difference.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                Would people be mad at Bush had he pushed for the war based upon Saddam firing SAMs at US fighter jets patrolling the do-not-fly zones in Iraq that were setup as the result of Desert Storm? During the late 90's and into early 2000, I recall news stories of just that happening, but the idea of re-invading Iraq on those grounds were never mentioned event though firing those SAMs were acts of war upon the US.
                Pottery Barn Rule. Why don't we get that?
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  That's a different thing. PBR dictates that having killed 100k Iraqi civilians so William Kristol could compensate for his small package (he's no Tall Boy), we are now responsible for it. It says nothing about going in in the first place.

BTW, PBR dictates that we now take care of ISIS, though I think PBR was nullified the moment the proprietor said, "just get out of my store before you break something else, Baby Huey!"
                  Last edited by Kepler; 09-12-2014, 10:14 AM.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Senators aren't in Congress? I thought Congress included both Houses.

At least I don't think ISIS is coming over the Mexican border to kill me. That puts me one up on McCain.
                    At that rate, in about 150 years, you'll be fit to clean his privy.
                    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      That's a different thing. PBR dictates that having killed 100k Iraqi civilians so William Kristol could compensate for his small package (he's no Tall Boy), we are now responsible for it. It says nothing about going in in the first place.

BTW, PBR dictates that we now take care of ISIS, though I think PBR was nullified the moment the proprietor said, "just get out of my store before you break something else, Baby Huey!"
                      Double bonus for obsessing on neocons? Many of them are Juwes, right?
                      Last edited by Old Pio; 09-12-2014, 10:18 AM.

Comment

This is actually a great piece, even though it's -- gasp -- Kos.

Could we at least have a bipartisan demand that Obama must ask Congress for the explicit right to fight ISIS and Congress must explicitly debate and vote on a resolution? Can we use this moment, where everybody gets their hands dirty and so nobody gets exclusive use of political advantage, to both put limits back on the executive and force the legislature to take up its responsibilities?

That is what the Framers had in mind, after all.
                        Cornell University

Comment

What are you talking about? I know the Pottery Barn Rule, but how does that apply to the question I asked?
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            It's amazing that even after the worst presidency in the last hundred years, which was the epitome of the Dirty Harry School Of Overcompensating Men, there is still anybody who believes that school yard bully crap is relevant to real life problems. Probably it's because those same people are trapped forever in their love for an actor and his John Wayne School Of Sepia Toned Nostalgic Delusions.

Politics now is a battle between people who can handle reality and people who are desperately hanging on to the movies of their youth 50 years ago. Movies which were even at the time produced deliberately to feed a completely fictional account of the world back to people who wanted to escape from reality. Who knew that entertainment would mold the entire life philosophy of millions of suckers?
                            You talkin' 'bout Jimmy Carter again? You ladies love to talk about "faux." As in faux Grecian columns? Faux presidential seal? Faux foreign policy? Faux leadership? Faux promises ("if you like your plan/doctor you can keep your plan/doctor")? Faux European speeches? Your boy is pretty close to a total failure. So you turn up the volume on your anti-Bush cutsey poo rhetoric, hoping nobody will notice. Problem is the only ones not noticing reside in the bunker or one of the various Fergusons.
                            Last edited by Old Pio; 09-12-2014, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              What are you talking about? I know the Pottery Barn Rule, but how does that apply to the question I asked?
                              It applies. It applies to your question. Neither the justification you proposed in your question nor the justification that was used pass the PBR test.

GWB can't hold Jimmy's jockstrap.

Comment

It applies because as soon as you apply it you don't try to justify war against Iraq.
                                Who's justifying the war? I'm genuinely curious if the grounds laid out for the war had been entirely different, would people still have been so vehemently against it. It was a bad war, a needless war.

Comment

Working...
                                X