• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

Just say "No?" No.
    http://m.townhall.com/tipsheet/Danie...-isis-n1887259

We fired our guns and ISIS kept a commin'
    There were a lot more there was a while ago.
    We fired once more and then they went a runnin'
    'Cross the Rio Grande from good ole Mexico.
    Last edited by joecct; 09-04-2014, 01:34 PM.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Humor requires humility.
      given as how you are such an expert on the subject of humility, right? You are never condescending.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Now I'm a bit confused. Are there people here who are saying that it isn't all that important to protect the US from another terrorist attack on US soil?

It seems to me that this is one area where "leading from behind" might well turn out to be a fatal mistake. They have declared war on us. To win such a war requires a holistic response, a long-term plan, and a cohesive strategy. Mockery is not much of a weapon against such a foe.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          Now I'm a bit confused. Are there people here who are saying that it isn't all that important to protect the US from another terrorist attack on US soil?

It seems to me that this is one area where "leading from behind" might well turn out to be a fatal mistake. They have declared war on us. To win such a war requires a holistic response, a long-term plan, and a cohesive strategy. Mockery is not much of a weapon against such a foe.
          Protect our borders - Yes
          Defend American interests abroad - Yes
          Send troops - No.
          Bomb - depends Though nobody has ever defeated an opponent purely by bombing

I will say this. If you're going to commit the full weight and measure of our arsenal then you go all out. No half measures or rules of engagement. We won't fight using the Marquis of Queensbury rules.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Find one.

Comment

If all the John Waynes would just join the army to defend us, we'd all be much better off.

Eventually.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Bomb - depends Though nobody has ever defeated an opponent purely by bombing
                Hiroshima and Nagasaki say, "Hi!"

Not that I'm advocating that option - just saying that I disagree with your historical assertion. Would we have eventually defeated Japan anyway? Absolutely. But the fact is that Japan surrendered when it did purely because of bombing.
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                  Hiroshima and Nagasaki say, "Hi!"

Not that I'm advocating that option - just saying that I disagree with your historical assertion. Would we have eventually defeated Japan anyway? Absolutely. But the fact is that Japan surrendered when it did purely because of bombing.
                  That's just not true. The island hopping strategy, which was quite intimate, destroyed their ability to continue fighting and gave us the air superiority so that we could then incinerate their civilians in firestorms.

Now nukes may have changed things, but up until now no war was ever won purely by bombing except maybe this one.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

No. There are people saying what you and other warhawks propose is not necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      No. There are people saying what you and other warhawks propose is not necessary.
                      Might be time to blow the dust off this. It's ironic that all the baboons who slap their chests the loudest and hurl their poo with the greatest righteous indignation happened to have "other priorities" when it came to them serving.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                        We can only react to intelligence reports. This is a battle we cannot permanently win without sacrificing a lot of personal liberty - increased surveillance, increased suspect profiling, curtailing religious speech (e.g. - smothering any Imams we don't like, which will only serve to inflame the Muslim community at-large), closing our borders, restricting the right of American citizens to freely travel abroad, etc. all of which is the short-term goal of Islamist terrorism (the ones with at least half a brain know that pan-Islamic world rule is not realistic in the near future).

I'm all for well-targeted airstrikes, Team 6/Delta Force special ops missions in conjunction with similar military organizations of allied nations, etc. But how far are you willing to go? Are you ready for military-police presence on every street corner, mandatory cavity searches of every air traveler, random/warrantless searches at roaming vehicle checkpoints without probable cause, etc.? I'm not.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Might be time to blow the dust off this. It's ironic that all the baboons who slap their chests the loudest and hurl their poo with the greatest righteous indignation happened to have "other priorities" when it came to them serving.
                          FF has already stated that he served back in the day, so to use that argument against him would be moot.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            FF has already stated that he served back in the day, so to use that argument against him would be moot.

FF says a lot of things....
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                              FF says a lot of things....
                              Well, if we're going to start casting aspersions and doubt upon all of our claimed backgrounds around here...
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                Simply put, other countries need to learn to solve their own problems ...
                                Then we all should be happy.
                                The pseudo-state of ISIS/ISIL is solving their own (too many infidels) problems ... one beheading at a time. I worry they'll make it a trans-oceanic road show.

What the left-leaners are missing here to torment the right* is the obvious issue: Who's buyin'? The US credit card is maxed out, right?

*No charge for that one, boys. It's on the house.
                                Last edited by The Sicatoka; 09-04-2014, 04:25 PM.
                                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X