X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Or are you going to continue to dodge the question?
    He wants to *whack* them.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      The trick is not to create more terrorists than you kill. When we were busting down the door of every house in Baghdad and treating every Iraqi and Afghan male older than 9, and every Pakistani wedding party of more than 6 people, as guilty of terrorism unless proven innocent, we were a terrorist recruitment program.

Let's not do that again. That was dumb.

One and only one good thing came out of the Iraq war. I can now spell Baghdad without looking it up.
      But if you kill them all (Carthage) do you still have the problem? Drastic for sure. But it is effective.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        But if you kill them all (Carthage) do you still have the problem? Drastic for sure. But it is effective.
        That is the historically preferred solution. Two groups enter, one group leaves. We don't do genocide anymore, so it's off the table, but that is most certainly how, say, Israel-Palestine would have gone down any time prior to about 1700*. IINM the Bible includes the Jews' first successful knockout round in the same area, against the Canaanites, and that's how it went down. Kill everybody but the Homecoming Queen and a few toddlers to serve as cup holders.

(* Or 1900, in North America.)
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          Never said anything about troops.

Support the people on the ground who are on our side with weapon sales and air power.

I'm not in favor of troops.

I have no qualms about vaporizing theses clowns from the safety of a computer screen thousands of miles away.

The only troops that I'd like to see are special forces acting on intelligence with a high probability of success and low probability of casualties either rescuing our hostage(s) or taking out their leadership.
          You realize you will kill millions of civilians right?

Funny, I could have sworn you ripped Israel for doing what you are advocating here. And the best part is ISIS poses no threat to America whereas Hamas does to Israel.

What's good for the goose aint always good for the gander eh
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Funny, I could have sworn you ripped Israel for doing what you are advocating here. And the best part is ISIS poses no threat to America whereas Hamas does to Israel.

Change it to current threat.

Sometime after 9/11 I thought we'd have to fight a cave by cave, village by village campaign vs. the Taliban that would be as ugly as the Pacific campaign in WW-II. We didn't but I still wonder if we should have.

I wonder now if MacArthur was more right than Truman.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Millions? Really? Can't tell if serious...

And to be honest, I don't like it any more when we destroy a wedding party trying to get a bad guy than when Israel does. My point on Israel was that I'd like to see them try harder to avoid civilian casualties - which is the same point I'd make for the gander. Go back and find it and I don't think it's as anti-Israel as you wish it was.

And no threat? You believe that? They will destabilize the region - even more than that hellhole already is. And while I don't subscribe to the hysterics that some on the far right are espousing that they are coming for us all, it'd be pretty naive to think that at some future point they won't want to hit us somewhere.

To be clear - I'd like us to do just what we're doing. Arm the good guys on the ground and support them with tactical airstrikes. Maybe carry out special forces operations when a target worthy of such things can be identified.

Comment

I dont deny they will destabalize the region...we arent a member of that region we just have interests there. Sorry but we do nothing but make things worse and instead of learning from that we just keep doing it. Time to break the cycle we cant fix it we broke it too badly.

Short of nuking it or occupying we cant do anything to stop it. We have to let it work itself out or we will never get out.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  The trick is not to create more terrorists than you kill.
                  The problem with the whole 'let's just nuke em crowd' (whether fully serious or only partially). It scratches the itch to get back at somebody...only to cause more chaos locally, in addition to both long term cost and damage to us.

Necessary end game: a stable solution that works best for the locals even if the outcome is not best for us...otherwise we need to stand clear.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    The problem with the whole 'let's just nuke em crowd' (whether fully serious or only partially). It scratches the itch to get back at somebody...only to cause more chaos locally, in addition to both long term cost and damage to us.

Necessary end game: a stable solution that works best for the locals even if the outcome is not best for us...otherwise we need to stand clear.
                    Without endangering the safety of this country is a ticklish matter. They said they do not like us. They have seduced American citizens to their cause. Their supporters have purportedly taken pictures in front of government buildings.

What makes them happy? Power. Unfettered unobstructed power. And probably greed. If you can get a settlement and expect them to behave rationally I think the President will send you his Peace Prize.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      What makes them happy? Power. Unfettered unobstructed power. And probably greed.
                      Who is "them?"

Comment

Well here's my issue with this whole thing, and sorry to butt in. But why can't all those people in western Europe, who will be really much more affected than us, once these isis guys start exporting terror, do more.
                        The French do nothing. the Dutch do nothing, in fact they even let the soviets fly over their country un opposed. The Spanish, Swedish, Norweigans, etc etc. Everyone looks to the US to do something and then get's mad when it doesn't suit them. They need to be part of the solution, Whatever that is and quit speaking out of both sides of their mouth by buying isis oil etc.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Soviets?
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

To be fair, has Russia ever been as close to the SU as it is today since it broke up?

Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              Well here's my issue with this whole thing, and sorry to butt in. But why can't all those people in western Europe, who will be really much more affected than us, once these isis guys start exporting terror, do more.
                              The French do nothing. the Dutch do nothing, in fact they even let the soviets fly over their country un opposed. The Spanish, Swedish, Norweigans, etc etc. Everyone looks to the US to do something and then get's mad when it doesn't suit them. They need to be part of the solution, Whatever that is and quit speaking out of both sides of their mouth by buying isis oil etc.
                              I don't mind you providing your thoughts...but I think you're stretching it on a number of points. France is doing quite a bit. Other countries don't get 'mad' when the US doesn't do anything.

Frankly I don't know why they should. They did everything in their power to stop us from creating the emerging disaster. But rather than listen, compromise or try alternatives...we called them names and invaded. We either clean it up or we don't...no blame to place here because our guilt. This is strictly our mess.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Carthago delenda est

The one sure solution to any international problem.
                                I win. You lose - totally.

Is this what you want?

Add-on: 200 years ago today/tonight the British burned Washington.

There was also a tornado, but that's not germain to the story.
                                Last edited by joecct; 08-24-2014, 09:57 AM.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X