This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

Yeah the episode I posted was from the first season too IIRC.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by unofun View Post
      It must suck to go thru life constantly scared of what's around the next corner. I feel pity for you.
      For some reason, I am not sure how much sincerety there is behind your comment. A sad state of affairs, eh?

Taking your comment at face value, yes, it is indeed unsettling to be walking through Rockefeller Center on one's way to work, to come across two or three policemen wearing helmets and body armor, carrying semi-automatic weapons, who are just hanging out and shooting the breeze (figuratively of course). You wonder what kind of intelligence they had to be deployed there.

It is indeed unsettling to have multiple attempts made on your life: the car bomb in Times Square that did not explode, the two teenagers arrested on their way into the city with a van full of pipe bombs, and of course the planes that hit the Twin Towers. That was a frightful day to live through, wondering if I'd ever see my wife and children again. The ruins were smoking for weeks, every day crossing 5th Avenue and looking south, seeing that plume of smoke rising from the rubble day after day.

To top it off, my daughter was a volunteer at the Boston Marathon last year as well, and my brother lives not far from the site of the explosion there. Another wonderful three days of memories, eh?

No, I cannot afford to be glib and complacent and condescending. So far, ISIS has done everything they said they were going to do. When they say they plan to carry out terrorist attacks within the US, there are very good reasons to believe they mean it. They have certainly graduated from "junior varsity" to major threat # 1.

None of this of course means we need to unilaterally send in massive numbers of troops. I've never once suggested we should. But to ignore this threat entirely is naive and foolish. it is exactly like gangrene: either you stop it early on, or you stop it later, but it is inexorable: if you do not stop it eventually you are a dead man. i assume you are not okay with them killing you and your friends; i assume you also are not okay with them killing people you don't know.

It would be interesting to hear a serious and thoughtful response from you about what you think we should do to stop them. it appears that you are proud of your ability to tear down others, i don't see you offering much on how to build constructively. Here's a chance for you to dispel this impression.
      Last edited by FreshFish; 08-22-2014, 01:06 PM.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Except no one has suggested or even intimated they believe that we should ignore it entirely. Most importantly the President. He's already sent in spec ops, missiles, planes (?), and drones.
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          None of this of course means we need to unilaterally send in massive numbers of troops. I've never once suggested we should.
          Then clear things up with us. Spell out EXACTLY what you would do.
          Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Except no one has suggested or even intimated they believe that we should ignore it entirely. Most importantly the President. He's already sent in spec ops, missiles, planes (?), and drones.
            Exactly and that's where Fishy is falling down, much like Opie did with Ukraine. Every knuck' wants a show of force, but then inevitably comes down to doing exactly what Obama is already doing. Fighting terrorists not with an invasion of ground troops, but with drones and special forces. Right now two AQ members can't get together to take a p! ss together without getting blown to bits. ISIS is going to experience the same fate, not because of blowhard conservatives bleating on message boards or Sunday talk shows, but because of actions the US is currently engaged in.
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Yep. Let the ground troops be provided by the locals.

You can't give someone freedom, they need to fight for it themselves.

Our job - as I see it - is to tip the scales in their favor.

That way, when it's all over, while they may not have forgotten their hatred of us altogether, maybe they'll at least be grudgingly neutral towards us.

Oh who am I kidding? At least ISIS will be gone or at least neutered.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                Exactly and that's where Fishy is falling down, much like Opie did with Ukraine. Every knuck' wants a show of force, but then inevitably comes down to doing exactly what Obama is already doing. Fighting terrorists not with an invasion of ground troops, but with drones and special forces. Right now two AQ members can't get together to take a p! ss together without getting blown to bits. ISIS is going to experience the same fate, not because of blowhard conservatives bleating on message boards or Sunday talk shows, but because of actions the US is currently engaged in.
                Nailed it. Al Qaeda is effectively dead. I didn't say completely, but it has been transformed from a very wealthy, sophisticated, lethal, well-organized, hierarchical organization to something that resembles a couple of very small fragmented tribes that every-so-often take shots at the Afghan military, blow up a bus station, or something else that has almost no direct effect on the United States. If the daily intelligence briefing were a newspaper, they'd have been relegated to the front page of the local section.
                Code:

Comment

For some reason, I am not sure how much sincerety there is behind your comment. A sad state of affairs, eh?

Taking your comment at face value, yes, it is indeed unsettling to be walking through Rockefeller Center on one's way to work, to come across two or three policemen wearing helmets and body armor, carrying semi-automatic weapons, who are just hanging out and shooting the breeze (figuratively of course). You wonder what kind of intelligence they had to be deployed there.

It is indeed unsettling to have multiple attempts made on your life: the car bomb in Times Square that did not explode, the two teenagers arrested on their way into the city with a van full of pipe bombs, and of course the planes that hit the Twin Towers. That was a frightful day to live through, wondering if I'd ever see my wife and children again. The ruins were smoking for weeks, every day crossing 5th Avenue and looking south, seeing that plume of smoke rising from the rubble day after day.

To top it off, my daughter was a volunteer at the Boston Marathon last year as well, and my brother lives not far from the site of the explosion there. Another wonderful three days of memories, eh?

No, I cannot afford to be glib and complacent and condescending. So far, ISIS has done everything they said they were going to do. When they say they plan to carry out terrorist attacks within the US, there are very good reasons to believe they mean it. They have certainly graduated from "junior varsity" to major threat # 1.

None of this of course means we need to unilaterally send in massive numbers of troops. I've never once suggested we should. But to ignore this threat entirely is naive and foolish. it is exactly like gangrene: either you stop it early on, or you stop it later, but it is inexorable: if you do not stop it eventually you are a dead man. i assume you are not okay with them killing you and your friends; i assume you also are not okay with them killing people you don't know.

It would be interesting to hear a serious and thoughtful response from you about what you think we should do to stop them. it appears that you are proud of your ability to tear down others, i don't see you offering much on how to build constructively. Here's a chance for you to dispel this impression.
                  We occupied Iraq and it's now a cesspool.
                  Afghanistan will follow suit.

What the **** don't you get about that?
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                    Yep. Let the ground troops be provided by the locals.

You can't give someone freedom, they need to fight for it themselves.

Our job - as I see it - is to tip the scales in their favor.

That way, when it's all over, while they may not have forgotten their hatred of us altogether, maybe they'll at least be grudgingly neutral towards us.

Oh who am I kidding? At least ISIS will be gone or at least neutered.
                    This is largely the popular approach and a good one. I would asterisk this by saying our goal is not to win.

Our goal is to end this in a permanent workable and decent form for the locals (with the US being a force for good). Too many see this as a sprint...its not, its a marathon. Problem one with Iraq last decade. The 200 yards of getting rid of Saddam was great...but the actual race that matters is thus far not shaping up to be much (or maybe even any) better than it was before we began.

And understanding the end game is critical when determining the tactics to achieve it.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

The trick is not to create more terrorists than you kill. When we were busting down the door of every house in Baghdad and treating every Iraqi and Afghan male older than 9, and every Pakistani wedding party of more than 6 people, as guilty of terrorism unless proven innocent, we were a terrorist recruitment program.

Let's not do that again. That was dumb.

One and only one good thing came out of the Iraq war. I can now spell Baghdad without looking it up.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        We occupied Iraq and it's now a cesspool.
                        Afghanistan will follow suit.
                        Afghanistan we only share the gold, with the Soviets and Ronnie's mujahideen "moral equivalent of our Founding Fathers." We didn't fix it, but we didn't break it alone, either.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The O has actually done some good in Iraq on several fronts. 1) He got US troops out of there thus forcing the Iraqi's to accept responsibility for their own country. 2) When they wouldn't do so, he forced the departure of the odious and incompetent Malaki before we helped out on a limited basis. 3) We saved about the only reliable allies over there, the Kurds, who are willing and able to fight as long as they weren't outgunned by US supplied equipment that Iraqi army left behind while running away.

Folks, that's about as good as its going to get over there. Another Malaki comes in and we disengage again until he's gone. Anti-terrorism for much better than worse is far less splashy now (no "shock and awe" ) Its drones and special forces offing people we the general public has never heard of. ISIS may want to cause a US invasion, but we need not do so to deal with them. With air superiority in a desert country, there's nowhere for them to hide. Now neo-cons might not be able to pleasure themselves with the sight of US troops fighting and dying in a foreign land where we're not wanted, but that's their problem.
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

US Defense Secretary Hagel:

ISIL is as sophisticated and well-funded as any group that we have seen. They're beyond just a terrorist group. They marry ideology, a sophistication of strategic and tactical military prowess. They are tremendously well-funded. Oh, this is beyond anything that we've seen. So we must prepare for everything. And the only way you do that is that you take a cold, steely, hard look at it and--and--and get ready.
                            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

*whack*
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Don't tell us what other people think, what do YOU want the government to do about ISIS? You said you didn't want an invasion force but didn't say what you wanted to do.

Or are you going to continue to dodge the question?
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X