X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    Naw. There's some liberal wack jobs around here on social issues, but you're a bit more reasonable than them. I just consider you to be significantly misguided.
    I appreciate that.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      "Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute!" sounds manly but historically it's dumb. Bribery is entirely reasonable in situations where it's impractical to project force.

and how do these sentiments apply when your implacable opponent says to you, "convert to Islam and submit to our rule, or we will kill you?" It doesn't seem like "bribery" in the conventional term will suffice. It's sort of like Lenin's sentiment: "capitalists will sell us the rope we use to hang them." ISIS will take the bribes we pay to purchase the weapons they will use to kill us.

Sooner or later, unless they are stopped, they definitely will try to kill us, somehow. How can any thoughtful person believe otherwise?
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
        and how do these sentiments apply when your implacable opponent says to you, "convert to Islam and submit to our rule, or we will kill you?" It doesn't seem like "bribery" in the conventional term will suffice. It's sort of like Lenin's sentiment: "capitalists will sell us the rope we use to hang them." ISIS will take the bribes we pay to purchase the weapons they will use to kill us.

Sooner or later, unless they are stopped, they definitely will try to kill us, somehow. How can any thoughtful person believe otherwise?

100% pure knuckledragger logic right here. How about "other countries need to solve their own problems".
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          Must spread rep...
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

This has zero to do with what I was talking about.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
              100% pure knuckledragger logic right here. How about "other countries need to solve their own problems".
              Bingo. I'm a pseudo-non-interventionalist.
              1. Stay out of wars unless we're talking self-defense.
              2. Where I depart is the use of missile/air strikes and spec ops. I think they can be used very effectively to help with #1.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Bingo. I'm a pseudo-non-interventionalist.
                1. Stay out of wars unless we're talking self-defense.
                2. Where I depart is the use of missile/air strikes and spec ops. I think they can be used very effectively to help with #1.
                I'm with you with one proviso -- if you use drones, missiles, and air strikes anywhere near a civilian population, assume they will hate you forever. "I was aiming for the bad man" means squat to the guy whose daughter you just killed.

There are going to be times when this might be the best thing to do, but you have to include in the calculations the worst case analysis that the general population of the country will never forgive you. When the British went after the colonial protesters they made up maybe about 10% of the colonial population. That quickly spun it up from a guerrilla movement to a popular insurrection.

The ISIS case doesn't seem to have that problem. We're able to strike their forces pretty far away from their civilian victims -- troops laying siege to a castle are usually highly vulnerable. We have total air superiority and there seems to be very little risk of effective anti-aircraft defense. And the civies near ISIS hate them so much they aren't collaborating, something that isn't true in Gaza and wasn't true in Fallujah. This is kind of a textbook example of where air harassment is most effective. There will have to be ground forces to mop up, but the Peshmerga and the Iraqi army are available and might even be effective (as long as they don't get within firing range of each other).
                Last edited by Kepler; 08-21-2014, 10:55 AM.
                Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  and how do these sentiments apply when your implacable opponent says to you, "convert to Islam and submit to our rule, or we will kill you?"
                  That sounds familiar.

"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity."

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    That sounds familiar.

"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity."
                    "A religion is a cult with a navy."

Given that we're backing the aborigines in this case, that seems all the more reason to stop Cortez in his tracks.
                    Cornell University

Comment

I can't keep these righties straight. First Opie was supposed to be Rambo. Now Fishy is? Has anybody checked to see if they're the same poster?
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

*whack*
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                          That sounds familiar.

You should realize that your inanity equals his. His proposed solution is off the charts irresponsible, but who is this "we" in current affairs of which you speak?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            "A religion is a cult with a navy."
                            See: Battle of Lepanto
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Who convened the ostrich convention??
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Who convened the ostrich convention??
                                *whack*
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X