X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that Turkey was OK with it either because the Kurds would carve out a section of Iraq, not Turkey, or because having the Kurds as neighbors is much more palatable than ISIS or some other terrorist organization. No, I don't have any sources, I think I read it somewhere - maybe here. I'm kinda preoccupied at the moment.
    If that's the case, then I'd be inclined to arming the Kurds in Iraq so that they could defend themselves from ISIS.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Just because McCain wants us to bomb somebody doesn't mean it's wrong. A broken clock and all that.

ISIS is one of those cases where even though the Usual Suspects are working overtime to demonize them, they actually do appear to be demons. If we can stop a genocide by bombing them, we should do it. It has to be us because nobody else can project that kind of power in that region (thanks to us). It doesn't have much blowback since everybody, probably even the Iraqi Sunnis, are terrified of them. And we can do it without being seen as favoring Maliki, whose own party is trying to get rid of him.

Neocon Fantasyland is entered both by reflexively approving or rejecting their reactionary bloodlust. The way to be truly free of them and the Bushies and put them in the country's rearvew mirror is to simply stop engaging with them. They aren't serious theoreticians, they're just trolls.
      Last edited by Kepler; 08-11-2014, 12:09 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Just because McCain wants us to bomb somebody doesn't mean it's wrong. A broken clock and all that.

ISIS is one of those cases where even though the Usual Suspects are working overtime to demonize them, they actually do appear to be demons. If we can stop a genocide by bombing them, we should do it. It has to be us because nobody else can project that kind of power in that region (thanks to us). It doesn't have much blowback since everybody, probably even the Iraqi Sunnis, are terrified of them. And we can do it without being seen as favoring Maliki, whose own party is trying to get rid of him.

The Neocons fantasyland is activated both by approving or rejecting their reactionary bloodlust. The way to be truly free of them and the Bushies and put them in the country's rearvew mirror, is to simply ignore them.
        The Liberally Biased Leftist Communist Red Star Media has epic failed on that. Lindsey, Peter King, and John McCain got all the air time they could ever want this weekend.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          The Liberally Biased Leftist Communist Red Star Media has epic failed on that. Lindsey, Peter King, and John McCain got all the air time they could ever want this weekend.
          They always will. The media love them, they provoke controversy. The Republicans are Jerry Springer. That's always going to be popular -- everybody rubber necks at the tire fire -- but the adults have work to do and can't be bothered with it.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            Apparently some people have never learned that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
            Where was that ounce when GWB decided to invade in '03? Just say "no?"

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              They always will. The media love them, they provoke controversy. The Republicans are Jerry Springer. That's always going to be popular -- everybody rubber necks at the tire fire -- but the adults have work to do and can't be bothered with it.
              They aren't popular at all which is what makes this so darn funny! Awhile back Republicans realized something ahead of everyone else, which was that the lamestream media could easily be intimidated into giving "both sides of the story equal weight" in the name of "fairness". So, various conservative flunkies could make the same brainless arguments but be given a free platform with no pushback from a usually aging host (think Bob Schieffer) who's probably personal friends with most of them on the DC cocktail circuit.

Works great, right? Those dastardly Republicans! Problem is, the viewing public started seeing stuff like John McCain and Lindsey Graham make the same "we should still be fighting the Iraq war for the Iraqis even though their own troops ran away from a fight" with zero questioning from the various hosts and decided these shows were too stupid to spend time watching. Now CNN and Meet the Press and all that are flabbergasted that their ratings are in the toilet. It might have something to do with the quality of their guests and inability to question even the most ludicrous statements out of fear of being labeled as "biased".
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
                They aren't popular at all which is what makes this so darn funny! Awhile back Republicans realized something ahead of everyone else, which was that the lamestream media could easily be intimidated into giving "both sides of the story equal weight" in the name of "fairness". So, various conservative flunkies could make the same brainless arguments but be given a free platform with no pushback from a usually aging host (think Bob Schieffer) who's probably personal friends with most of them on the DC cocktail circuit.

Works great, right? Those dastardly Republicans! Problem is, the viewing public started seeing stuff like John McCain and Lindsey Graham make the same "we should still be fighting the Iraq war for the Iraqis even though their own troops ran away from a fight" with zero questioning from the various hosts and decided these shows were too stupid to spend time watching. Now CNN and Meet the Press and all that are flabbergasted that their ratings are in the toilet. It might have something to do with the quality of their guests and inability to question even the most ludicrous statements out of fear of being labeled as "biased".
                I read this morning that NBC isn't pleased with David Gregory landing the jewel of its news division in the toilet and are replacing him with Chuck Todd.

Comment

I read this morning that NBC isn't pleased with David Gregory landing the jewel of its news division in the toilet and are replacing him with Chuck Todd.
                  They'll never be able to replace Russert.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Do they think Todd is going to actually improve things?
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

They'll never be able to replace Russert.
                      Yeah, it's a ****ty deal for whomever gets hired. They'll never be able to meet the standard he set. That's the "problem" when you have such success on a show like that.
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Yeah, it's a ****ty deal for whomever gets hired. They'll never be able to meet the standard he set. That's the "problem" when you have such success on a show like that.
                        I have hopes for Russert's kid someday but that's at least 10-20 years down the road.

Comment

I have hopes for Russert's kid someday but that's at least 10-20 years down the road.
                          I get a little hesitant when it comes to nepotism like that but if the guy has the chops, who am I to say no?

Personally, I watch Face the Nation. But I think that has more to do with the fact that I watch WCCO (CBS) about 95% of the time when it comes to news whether it's local or national.
                          Code:

Comment

I never liked Russert. While he may be an improvement over the current crop of nitwits, that's not saying much.

As I mentioned before, Bill Moyers did a devastating piece on journalism in the lead up to the Iraq War. Some lefties like Dan Rather owned up to the fact that they didn't do their jobs out of fear of being labeled anti-American. Others like the guy running CNN at the time openly admitted it like it was some sort of smart business decision. Russert completely wimped out and got all defensive when called on that. Some hard hitting journalist. That's a pretty big story to be wrong about, especially when there were some news outlets (Knight-Ridder for example not to be confused with Knight Rider) that were asking the right questions.
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                              Where was that ounce when GWB decided to invade in '03? Just say "no?"
                              The idea of replacing Saddam was probably a good one. The fact that they had no idea on who should replace Saddam was bad - very bad.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                I never liked Russert. While he may be an improvement over the current crop of nitwits, that's not saying much.
                                Agree completely. Russert was a triumph of tenure. He's the Peter Gammons of Sunday talk: stay on the job long enough and people think you shit marble.

The last interesting host was William F. Buckley. The next one may actually be John Oliver.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 08-11-2014, 01:56 PM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X