X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    At least JW and LDS are polite when you say "no thank you just the same"! I don't even mind when they say they will pray for me...might as well hedge my bets.
    Pascal's Parimutuel.

Zelazny is typically wonderful. Ivy theater arts FTW!
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
      Some "irony-plus" possibilities:

1) God does not exist, and all this fuss was for naught,

2) God exists but has issues of his/her/its own and needs to see the suffering and misery for reasons he/she/it does not even understand,

3) God exists and wants to sort it out, but the present situation is the best he/she/it can do under difficult circumstances.

Thousands of years of evidence suggests #2 is most likely.
      I respectfully submit that a few hundred years of science makes #1 the only viable option.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
        Hamas is a terrorist organization dedicated to destroying (by any means possible) a sovereign nation. And those means include getting as many of their own "innocent civilians" as possible killed. That's why their weapons are protected in tunnels while their people are encouraged (and in many cases) forced to stay where the Israelis have announced their intentions to strike. They have stated their goals repeatedly. Similarly, Israel has stated over the years that it wants only to live in peace with its neighbors. You may see some moral equivalence between the unprovoked lobbing of thousands of rockets into a country. And that country's efforts to neutralize the people and places from which those rocket attacks originate, but I don't.

I referred to several, specific, well documented episodes where images of "grieving mothers," "dead children" and shot up "red cross ambulances" have been shamelessly manipulated for consumption by the moral equivalence crowd. To my knowledge, Israel has not done this. "Spin" is engaged in by both sides in any conflict, whereas trade in fraudulent images may not be. BTW, delivering newspapers doesn't make you an expert on what a journalist's responsibilities are.
        Nah, it just makes me a "libstain", right? Which would be hilarious, since I'm about as much of a "libstain" as Pat Buchanan. Which is not to say that I agree with his racism or his theocratic designs (far to the contrary), but I do find heart in his "stay home and defend the US" shtick. Hell, perhaps our military would be better utilized by shoring up the Mexican border for the near future, while intelligence, Team 6/Delta, and tactical air strikes deal with the Muslim crazies as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          perhaps our military would be better utilized by shoring up the Mexican border for the near future, while intelligence, Team 6/Delta, and tactical air strikes deal with the Muslim crazies as needed.
          For some reason, this idea reminded me of the concept from the movie Escape from New York, absent the plane crash: just lock all of them together in a confined space where they can fight amongst themselves as much as they want while leaving the rest of us alone.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            I respectfully submit that a few hundred years of science makes #1 the only viable option.
            Probably, but without God, how do you explain all the bad things in the world?

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
              Human beings being both the best and worst that nature has to offer?

Besides, when was the last time the Super Bowl losers blamed God for losing?

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                Besides, when was the last time the Super Bowl losers blamed God for losing?
                "We would have won if Jesus didn't make me fumble!"

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                  What does "bad" mean? All the things that happen in a plane crash are physics, from the engine failing to the little girl in seat 12D's heart stopping.

Nature knows no morals. For "bad" things to happen you need something to evolve and create "bad" as a concept. As far as the wind and the rain are concerned, nothing is objectively good or bad, it just is.

We are "why" "bad" things happen, because we are why things are conceivably "bad." Likewise for good.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 08-01-2014, 04:28 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    What does "bad" mean? All the things that happen in a plane crash are physics, from the engine failing to the little girl in seat 12D's heart stopping.

Nature knows no morals. For "bad" things to happen you need something to evolve and create "bad" as a concept. As far as the wind and the rain are concerned, nothing is objectively good or bad, it just is.

We are "why" "bad" things happen, because we are why things are conceivably "bad." Likewise for good.
                    "'Tis none to you, for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

But Shakespeare did not know Gopher hockey.
                    Last edited by burd; 08-01-2014, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      Thats right! You were the inspiration for the "Rambo" character. I keep forgetting that.
                      But I'm considerably taller than 5'7" which should help you differentiate
                      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

The Facts Of Life

Life is not fair.
                        No one is exempt from death.
                        Physics rules the universe and biology rules life.
                        The universe does not care.
                        The only constant in life is change.
                        There is always a choice.
                        Wishing never makes it so.
                        A person can't exceed their limits.
                        A person is responsible for their own happiness.
                        It is impossible to change the character of another.

Copyright© 2007 by Lazlo Zalezac
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

You forgot:

To make an alteration in the evolvement of an organic life system is fatal. A coding sequence cannot be revised once it's been established.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            You forgot:

To make an alteration in the evolvement of an organic life system is fatal. A coding sequence cannot be revised once it's been established.
                            Though if through genetic change you could eliminate cancer most folks would agree with it (then see Law of Unintended Consequences).
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Though if through genetic change you could eliminate cancer most folks would agree with it (then see Law of Unintended Consequences).
                              Nothing the god of biomechanics wouldn't let you into heaven for.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Zalezac missed one: cats and dogs are different.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...president.html
                                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X