X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    You all are paranoid. All that was said in the quote was that this was opportune for Obama to switch attention from the border (and other of course) problems to Ukraine. Nothing there saying anyone says Obama is behind it.
    Its funny for people who don't listen to Rush they sure know what he says or maybe what someone wants them to think he said
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Its funny for people who don't listen to Rush they sure know what he says or maybe what someone wants them to think he said
      http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/07/17/malaysian_plane_shot_down_over_ukraine

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        that's inaccurate and technology available in 1959 could shoot it down anyway, just ask Francis Gary Powers.. There is no way the Ukrainians did it.
        Um, okay.... Do you think maybe it cost the Russians a bunch of money - significantly more than $1M - to hit Powers? But what would I know - I only design military aircraft for a living...
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          This absolutely has to be a parody.
          It had better be. On the other hand, it wasn't a parody when many people (including some who post here) within an hour or two began blaming Sarah Palin for the Gabby Giffords shooting.
          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            I was wrong. We didn't have to wait a week.

http://www.salon.com/2014/07/17/rush...s_flight_mh17/
            How long did it take you (or other lib deep thinkers) to begin blaming Sarah Palin for the Gabby Giffords shooting? A matter of an hour or two.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
              Um, okay.... Do you think maybe it cost the Russians a bunch of money - significantly more than $1M - to hit Powers? But what would I know - I only design military aircraft for a living...
              That being the case, please reassure me that the F35's problems are just growing pains associated with a complex new system (and multiple missions) and will eventually resolve themselves.* I recall the C5A Galaxy was hugely controversial in the beginning: congressional hearings, "whistle blowers," cost overruns, wheels falling off and the whole 9 yards. Yet it became the best, most reliable heavy lift airplane ever designed. My lay rule of thumb: the bigger the leap in technology, the greater likelihood of problems early on.

*We went through a similar situation years ago with the TFX (just coincidentally manufactured in Texas and approved by LBJ) which morphed into the F-111 which, apart from the bombing mission over Libya, was a huge turkey, never capable of meeting all of its initial mission requirements. Even so, the F-111 incorporated variable wing geometry and TFR among other innovations.
              Last edited by Old Pio; 07-17-2014, 08:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                That being the case, please reassure me that the F35's problems are just growing pains associated with a complex new system (and multiple missions) and will eventually resolve themselves. I recall the C5A Galaxy was hugely controversial in the beginning: congressional hearings, "whistle blowers," cost overruns and the whole 9 yards. It became the best, most reliable heavy lift airplane ever designed. My lay rule of thumb: the bigger the leap in technology, the greater likelihood of problems early on.
                Model 299 -> B-17. The B-29 was loaded with problems in the beginning. Both became workhorses.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                  That being the case, please reassure me that the F35's problems are just growing pains associated with a complex new system (and multiple missions) and will eventually resolve themselves. I recall the C5A Galaxy was hugely controversial in the beginning: congressional hearings, "whistle blowers," cost overruns, wheels falling off and the whole 9 yards. Yet it became the best, most reliable heavy lift airplane ever designed. My lay rule of thumb: the bigger the leap in technology, the greater likelihood of problems early on.
                  I worked on that program for the first 10 years of my career - 7 on X-35 and then 3 more on F-35, so I'm not completely unbiased. I've been off the program for 12 years, now, though, so I don't have any real insight on the developmental issues and why we (as a nation) can't seem to close them out. Some of it is definitely just growing pains. The part that is worrying to me is that it is supposed to be a workhorse aircraft for us, and to do that effectively, we need lots of them available. The longer the development goes on (and the higher the recurring cost climbs to build each one), the fewer we will be able to afford - we have to dot those last i's and cross those last t's so we can stop paying engineers and start paying machinists. The JSF has relatively modest payload and only moderate range, so you need a lot of them to effectively prosecute a war in an area the size of Iraq or Afghanistan - to say nothing of Iran or China. If we end up only being able to afford 1000 of them (instead of the initially planned 3000), that will pretty severely hamper our ability to project military power.
                  If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Model 299 -> B-17. The B-29 was loaded with problems in the beginning. Both became workhorses.

True enough. You could win many a bar bet by asking what was the most expensive weapons system developed during the war. Many would assume the Manhattan Project. Actually, it was the B-29.

Comment

I worked on that program for the first 10 years of my career - 7 on X-35 and then 3 more on F-35, so I'm not completely unbiased. I've been off the program for 12 years, now, though, so I don't have any real insight on the developmental issues and why we (as a nation) can't seem to close them out. Some of it is definitely just growing pains. The part that is worrying to me is that it is supposed to be a workhorse aircraft for us, and to do that effectively, we need lots of them available. The longer the development goes on (and the higher the recurring cost climbs to build each one), the fewer we will be able to afford - we have to dot those last i's and cross those last t's so we can stop paying engineers and start paying machinists. The JSF has relatively modest payload and only moderate range, so you need a lot of them to effectively prosecute a war in an area the size of Iraq or Afghanistan - to say nothing of Iran or China. If we end up only being able to afford 1000 of them (instead of the initially planned 3000), that will pretty severely hamper our ability to project military power.
                      Maybe we could split the difference: 2000?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        The squealing, whining, pewling ladies chorale is generally the most reliable source for what's said by Limbaugh and on Fox. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                          The squealing, whining, pewling ladies chorale is generally the most reliable source for what's said by Limbaugh and on Fox. Go figure.
                          The word "pewling" as the present participle of the archaic "to pule" (to whimper feebly), is spelled "puling."

Good word, though.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

If this is an O. Henry story, we know how it ends for Putin.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I seriously doubt it cost the russians a million 1958 dollars to develop the SA 2.
                              And I bet you could get one now for very cheap from the vietnamese.

Th head of the rebels posted on his twitter account that they had shot down a cargo plane within minutes of the airplane going down. then he deleted it.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Heard this morning that someone that lost a loved one in the first Malaysian crash supposedly over the ocean also lost a loved one on this flight. Can't imagine.

I also understand that 8 or ~9 top AIDS researchers on the planet were on the flight. That was a very costly crash.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X