X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    The problem many of the Kurds have had with those proposals in the past is that the oil is in the southern half of the country. While they want to be left alone, they also want a bite at the apple.
    Back when our corporations were about to steal their oil, er, I mean normalize market distribution, here was a map of reserves. Not sure how that actually maps onto a tri-state solution. Looks like whoever gets the west gets the shaft.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      The problem many of the Kurds have had with those proposals in the past is that the oil is in the southern half of the country. While they want to be left alone, they also want a bite at the apple.
      Send the Texas and Maryland legislatures over to Iraq to gerrymander a solution.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        There is some oil in the north. The Kurds' recent move into Kirkuk was at least to some extent for the purpose of strengthening their claims over oil in the north. The Kurds are in a tiff with Baghdad right now over oil the Kurds shipped through Turkey and Baghdad has been pressuring countries to not buy the oil the Kurds sent directly through Turkey.
        Originally posted by Priceless
        Good to see you're so reasonable.
        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
        Very well, said.
        Originally posted by Rover
        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          Split Iraq into 3 countries. 1 Shia, 1 Kurd, and 1 Sunni. Thus eliminating the holy war fighting and giving each religion\group their own nation.
          Hatred runs deeper than your logic
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            Hatred runs deeper than your logic
            Hatred might work to their advantage, just this once. This doesn't seem to be one side wanting to dominate the other, it seems to be everybody saying "get your hands off my desert." If this was political gamesmanship the aggressor would have the incentive to keep the country together so they could lord it over the whole thing, but since it's sectarian and local, everybody might be willing to go to neutral corners.

The longer the violence lasts, the more it becomes a vendetta cycle and that's no longer a solution. Like the Israelis and Palestinians, once enough people are thinking "you killed my sister," peace becomes impossible.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Meanwhile El Presidente is sending Kerry and (eventually) advisors to Iraq.

Is there a Gulf of Tonkin nearby?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Hatred might work to their advantage, just this once. This doesn't seem to be one side wanting to dominate the other, it seems to be everybody saying "get your hands off my desert." If this was political gamesmanship the aggressor would have the incentive to keep the country together so they could lord it over the whole thing, but since it's sectarian and local, everybody might be willing to go to neutral corners.

The longer the violence lasts, the more it becomes a vendetta cycle and that's no longer a solution. Like the Israelis and Palestinians, once enough people are thinking "you killed my sister," peace becomes impossible.
                Who would broker this deal? I can't believe you think John Kerry could do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  Jimmy Carter. Bill Clinton. George Mitchell. Bush 41 would be an option but he is too old. How is James Baker these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    Jimmy Carter. Bill Clinton. George Mitchell. Bush 41 would be an option but he is too old. How is James Baker these days?
                    84. He was old in 2000 when he was running the Bush recount thing.
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                      Clinton, Mitchell, maybe.

Comment

No American can broker that deal, we're poison in that region. Diplomatically we are compromised by our connections to Israel and the Saudis and all the regional blood on our hands (for good or ill). Gotta be somebody else -- preferably not somebody with colonialist baggage.

Beijing should give it a shot. Our first baby step to world police was TR brokering the Russo-Japanese Treaty of Portsmouth in 1905. Also we can totally screw China over by handing off the fossil fuel wars right before the water wars start.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 06-19-2014, 05:40 PM.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          No American can broker that deal, we're poison in that region. Diplomatically we are compromised by our connections to Israel and the Saudis and all the regional blood on our hands (for good or ill). Gotta be somebody else -- preferably not somebody with colonialist baggage.

Beijing should give it a shot. Our first baby step to world police was TR brokering the Russo-Japanese Treaty of Portsmouth in 1905. Also we can totally screw China over by handing off the fossil fuel wars right before the water wars start.
                          Let England do it. They created the mess in the first place.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I suppose sending Drew Rosenhaus would send the wrong message.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Apparently ISIS has seized an Iraqi chemical weapons plant.

Do we / anyone vaporize the place to make sure that ISIS does not produce/have/use WMD's?
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Apparently ISIS has seized an Iraqi chemical weapons plant.

Do we / anyone vaporize the place to make sure that ISIS does not produce/have/use WMD's?
                                Chemical weapons plant? Where'd that come from?

Maybe a leftover from Sadaam?
                                Originally posted by Priceless
                                Good to see you're so reasonable.
                                Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                                Very well, said.
                                Originally posted by Rover
                                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                                X