X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    What part of "there are plenty of ways to stand up to Putin that don't involve loan guarantees and don't involve military force" is so hard for you to understand?

You do have room for that under your umbrella, don't you Neville?

Are you and Opie dating? You're starting to use some of his moldy expressions that were popular 70 years ago so I was just wondering....

But I'll play along! What, aside from military action and loans, would you have the US do? Beyond sanctions which are already being worked on, we're all ears.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

First of all, I wasn't aware Putin was a terrorist. But since he's apparently the next Hitler, I guess he is.

Second of all, I want to see every Congress critter who just voted to give the Ukraine a billion dollars try to demagogue on the national debt come election time. I hope their constituents throw this vote in their face.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        First of all, I wasn't aware Putin was a terrorist. But since he's apparently the next Hitler, I guess he is.

Second of all, I want to see every Congress critter who just voted to give the Ukraine a billion dollars try to demagogue on the national debt come election time. I hope their constituents throw this vote in their face.
        Did Congre$$ authorize or appropriate $1B? In Fed Gov Speak, there is a difference. Authorize means you can spend it - when you get the money. Appropriate means actually giving the money.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

What part of "there are plenty of ways to stand up to Putin that don't involve loan guarantees and don't involve military force" is so hard for you to understand?
          ROTFLMAO. That's funny.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

First of all, I wasn't aware Putin was a terrorist.

Oh, really?

Just ask a Russian journalist for his/her opinion.

Oh, wait. You can't!

The list of journalists killed under Putin is too long to fit here; it exceeds the limit of 10,000 characters.

19 in 2000
            12 in 2001
            23 in 2002
            12 in 2003
            13 in 2004
            6 in 2005
            14 in 2006
            5 in 2007
            3 in 2008

22 during the Medved Presidency

One more under Putin in 2012

Several of the ones in the first set were killed in Chechnya or were "incident not confirmed" but I didn't go through to cull them out.

I guess you are right and I am wrong, Putin is just a genial, gentle soul who does nothing wrong and is woefully misunderstood by people like me, eh?

I mean, who would ever expect the former head of the KGB to engage in targeted assassination. After all, didn't George Bush assure us he "looked into Putin's soul" and liked what he saw there? and you have so much respect for GWB's good judgment, right?

"I looked the man in the eye. I found him to be very straightforward and trustworthy. We had a very good dialogue. I was able to get a sense of his soul, a man deeply committed to his country and the best interests of his country," Bush said, adding a few sentence later, "I wouldn't have invited him to my ranch if I didn't trust him."

How far does your sycophancy extend, anyway?
            Last edited by FreshFish; 03-06-2014, 03:31 PM.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Terrorist is a relative term. If your side loses, you're a terrorist. If you're side wins, you're a freedom fighter.

One thing you can say about V. V. Putin - he does not speak in shades of grey. If he draws a red line, he will make sure it's your blood that does the drawing -- unless you got a bigger schwangsticker than he does. Then he'll cave.
              Last edited by joecct; 03-06-2014, 03:25 PM.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Everytime I think about what Putin is doing, I'm reminded of the old quote by Stalin, "F the pope. How many divisions does he have?"

Substitute Moldova, Georgia, and now Ukraine and you pretty much has Vlad's attitude.
                Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Did Congre$$ authorize or appropriate $1B? In Fed Gov Speak, there is a difference. Authorize means you can spend it - when you get the money. Appropriate means actually giving the money.
                  You think voters are going to parse words like authorize and appropriate? They voted to give a billion dollars to the Ukraine. Period.

Oh, really?

Just ask a Russian journalist for his/her opinion.

Oh, wait. You can't!

The list of journalists killed under Putin is too long to fit here; it exceeds the limit of 10,000 characters.

19 in 2000
                  12 in 2001
                  23 in 2002
                  12 in 2003
                  13 in 2004
                  6 in 2005
                  14 in 2006
                  5 in 2007
                  3 in 2008

22 during the Medved Presidency

One more under Putin in 2012

Several of the ones in the first set were killed in Chechnya or were "incident not confirmed" but I didn't go through to cull them out.

I guess you are right and I am wrong, Putin is just a genial, gentle soul who does nothing wrong and is woefully misunderstood by people like me, eh?

How far does your sycophancy extend, anyway?
                  Are the Chinese terrorists? We still do plenty of business with them. I thought we didn't do business with terrorists. For that matter, we're still doing business with Russia. I'm pretty sure we have been doing business with both countries since the Berlin Wall crumbled. Yet we're still doing business with them. Tourists still go there. I guess we just have different definitions of "terrorists".

For the record, I have made no secret about the fact that I'm a liberal. I do not consider it a dirty word. *I* do not to pretend to be something I'm not. I don't say I'm a liberal and then make arguments counter to everything a liberal typically believes. I do not parrot the talking points of the RNC or post the latest from the Wall Street Journal op-ed page. I think we know how far your sycophancy extends.

Comment

Foreign aid is an inconsequential part of the federal budget deficit and IMHO is generally money better spent than many other things in the federal budget.
                    Originally posted by Priceless
                    Good to see you're so reasonable.
                    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                    Very well, said.
                    Originally posted by Rover
                    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Key questions: Are people who speak of their admiration for Putin terrorist sympathizers? If they are elected officials, is it treason?

Comment

Here's the perspective of our Secretary of State emeritus:

Hillary Rodham Clinton [condemned] Russian President Vladimir Putin for using the excuse of protecting people with Russian ties to mask expansionist motives.....Clinton said she was "urging people to have a little historic perspective."

The ex-secretary of state and likely 2016 presidential candidate specifically lashed out at Russia’s plan to issue passports to ethnic Russians in Crimea.

“Now, if this sounds familiar, it’s what Hitler did back in the ‘30s,” Clinton said during a California fundraiser on Tuesday.

“All the Germans that were … the ethnic Germans, the Germans by ancestry who were in places like Czechoslovakia and Romania and other places, Hitler kept saying they’re not being treated right. I must go and protect my people, and that’s what’s gotten everybody so nervous,” she said, according to The Long Beach Press-Telegram.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Key questions: Are people who speak of their admiration for Putin terrorist sympathizers? If they are elected officials, is it treason?

Hmm...that sounds familiar.

Now of course these people can't openly cheer for [Vladimir] Putin, because that would constitute outright treason...
                          Gee, what a coincidence!

Comment

Hmm...that sounds familiar.

Gee, what a coincidence!
                            Hey, they had the same thought I did! So, what's the answer? Is it treason?

Comment

I have to agree that there's been some downright treasonous comments out of the conservative knuckledragger crowd. Its pretty sad when collectively the opposition party is cheering on Putin instead of the President. Not too surprising though. One has to wonder if the Fishies and Opies of this board feel the same way and are sporting their "Rootin' for Putin" T-shirts that they're giving away at the CPAC conference.
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

MOSCOW—Russia's upper house of parliament will support Crimea in its bid to join Russia and award the Black Sea peninsula the full powers of any other Russian region, the speaker of Russia's upper house said Friday, the highest-level confirmation yet that Crimea could soon become part of Russia.
                                Well, that didn't take long. Fait accompli as they say. Oh, well, who cares, right?

By the way, who better to understand long-term strategy than a chess grandmaster and world champion? Great article today by Garry Kasparov in the Wall St. Journal on how to stop Putin from annexing any more territory without using military force.

Comment

Working...
                                X