Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

    Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    In all seriousness, the US Army has begun its investigation into Bergdahl.
    Yeah, they ought to just disregard any assertions or evidence of desertion from members of his unit. I'll say again: he's sounding every day more and more like an acutely confused young man. He's been held by savages for five years, which strikes me as sufficient punishment for anything we think we know he did. Nevertheless, we've got a UCMJ which requires certain standards of behavior from our service personnel. The Army has no choice but to investigate Bergdahl and his behavior. IMO, the worst he faces is a DD. But that's just my opinion. I wouldn't expect the Army to act on something so flimsy. Just as you shouldn't expect the Army to act on your opinion.
    Last edited by Old Pio; 06-17-2014, 03:30 AM.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

    Comment


    • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

      Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
      Yeah, they ought to just disregard any assertions or evidence of desertion from members of his unit. I'll say again: he's sounding every day more and more like an acutely confused young man. He's been held by savages for five years, which strikes me as sufficient punishment for anything we think we know he did. Nevertheless, we've got a UCMJ which requires certain standards of behavior from our service personnel. The Army has no choice but to investigate Bergdahl and his behavior. IMO, the worst he faces is a DD. But that's just my opinion. I wouldn't expect the Army to act on something so flimsy. Just as you shouldn't expect the Army to act on your opinion.
      Not sure who stole Opie's posting ID, but this is a lucid and reasonable take on the situation. My biggest problem with the Bergdahl situation is the rush to judgement before actually talking to the guy. If he wandered off to take a leak, 5 years in captivity with the Taliban ought to be sufficient punishment. It amazes me how many armchair analysts get air time nowadays including those saying that we should have either left him there, or done nothing and eventually he would have been released. What if the guy was actually captured at his post? Hell of a thing to not give him the benefit of the doubt given the situation he was in.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

      Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

      "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

      Comment


      • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

        Can't say I'm too worried about the Bergdahl thing, with the Middle East careening toward out and out Sunni-Shiite war. This thing gets uglier by the day, with Maliki, instead of looking for a way to diffuse things, rather stoking the fires by accusing Saudi Arabia of genocide, declaring a boycott of the main Sunni political bloc, etc. There seem to be very few rational, reasonable actors in the entire region.
        Originally posted by Priceless
        Good to see you're so reasonable.
        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
        Very well, said.
        Originally posted by Rover
        A fair assessment Bob.

        Comment


        • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

          Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
          Can't say I'm too worried about the Bergdahl thing, with the Middle East careening toward out and out Sunni-Shiite war. This thing gets uglier by the day, with Maliki, instead of looking for a way to diffuse things, rather stoking the fires by accusing Saudi Arabia of genocide, declaring a boycott of the main Sunni political bloc, etc. There seem to be very few rational, reasonable actors in the entire region.
          Somehow the Protestants and Catholics moved on and decided war wasn't the answer to settle their differences. Sunni and Shia would rather fight.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

          Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

          Comment


          • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

            Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            This presupposes Bush and his handlers actually believed they were WMD rather than manufactured the evidence to start a war they simply wanted. Either that or they were completely incompetent and logical discourse would have gone over their heads.
            I wasn't thinking about convincing the administration. They were Neoconservative, and the lynch pin of Neoconservative theory is the idea that the US dominate the Middle East by force. They still believe that to this day (an ideology can never fail, it can only be failed). But aggressive questioning of the administration might have given us the breathing space to halt the rush to war and made the 2004 election about whether to launch a war of choice. They still might have won that public debate, but it would have been thoroughly debated.

            It is very important to put the blame squarely where it belongs: on those who rushed forward with the invasion and occupation and their Utopian worldview where the US would be welcomed as liberators, would create a model democracy, and would by sheer military might and moral will transform the region. There's a reason those people do not want to "re-litigate" their actions -- they were disastrously wrong and their ideas should be consigned to the dustbin of history. Neoconservatism must be thoroughly discredited among conservatives. The risk they are running now is they will grab any tool to hand to bash Obama, and exonerate the Neocons as a campaign tactic.
            Last edited by Kepler; 06-17-2014, 11:49 AM.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

            Comment


            • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

              Disastrously wrong is a pretty good summary for what we've done in Iraq. It's a hard thing though to have to say you're ok with a strongman like Hussein, with all he did, rather than hope something better could happen there. But, as times marches on, Hussein's thuggery keeping some semblance of peace and order doesn't seem to be the worst thing that Iraq could ever experience. The world is a hard place, especially in certain corners.
              Originally posted by Priceless
              Good to see you're so reasonable.
              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
              Very well, said.
              Originally posted by Rover
              A fair assessment Bob.

              Comment


              • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

                Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                I wasn't thinking about convincing the administration. They were Neoconservative, and the lynch pin of Neoconservative theory is the idea that the US dominate the Middle Eastern via force. They still believe that to this day (an ideology can never fail, it can only be failed). But aggressive questioning of the administration might have given us the breathing space to halt the rush to war and made the 2004 election about whether to launch a war of choice. They still might have won that public debate, but it would have been thoroughly debated.

                It is very important to put the blame squarely where it belongs: on those who rushed forward with the invasion and occupation and their Utopian worldview where the US would be welcomed as liberators, would create a model democracy, and would by sheer military might and moral will transform the region. There's a reason those people do not want to "re-litigate" their actions -- they were disastrously wrong and their ideas should be consigned to the dustbin of history. Neoconservatism must be thoroughly discredited among conservatives. The risk they are running now is they will grab any tool to hand to bash Obama, and exonerate the Neocons as a campaign tactic.
                I'm heartened to see some pushback on these idiots, even apparently on Fox news where some anchor went after one of these clowns. Asshat Bill Kristol is also getting called on his idiocy, and some Congressman went after McCain, rightfully so IMO. Further proof that journalism is held in the same esteem as the used car and payday loan businesses. Why does anybody insist on booking these people for their shows? Judith Miller even got a gig on Fox I believe. Judith Miller...
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

                Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

                "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

                Comment


                • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

                  Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  I'm heartened to see some pushback on these idiots, even apparently on Fox news where some anchor went after one of these clowns.
                  That was Shepard Smith. He's gone off-script a few times the last 6 months. My money's on psychotic break over attack of conscience, but either way he's going to wake up with Gretchen Carlson's severed head some morning.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 06-17-2014, 11:56 AM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                  Comment


                  • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

                    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    That was Shepard Smith. He's gone off-script a few times the last 6 months. My money's on psychotic break over attack of conscience, but either way he's going to wake up with Gretchen Carlson's severed head some morning.
                    Smith has been known to buck the company line.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                    Comment


                    • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

                      Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                      Disastrously wrong is a pretty good summary for what we've done in Iraq. It's a hard thing though to have to say you're ok with a strongman like Hussein, with all he did, rather than hope something better could happen there. But, as times marches on, Hussein's thuggery keeping some semblance of peace and order doesn't seem to be the worst thing that Iraq could ever experience. The world is a hard place, especially in certain corners.
                      Another lesson is violent religious fundamentalism can only be defeated from within. Secularism is an antitoxin that must be produced by the body; it can't be injected into it.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                      Comment


                      • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

                        In other news, Benghazi mastermind captured by US forces in Libya...

                        http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...944.html?hp=f1

                        Of course, this is really just to help Hillary sell books...

                        "A Fox News anchor suggested that President Obama captured one of the alleged architects of the September 2012 attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi to boost Hillary Clinton’s presidential prospects.
                        Speaking on Fox News’ Outnumbered just moments after news broke that the United States had captured Ahmed Abu Khattala, [Lisa Kennedy Montgomery] mused, “you have a former Secretary of State who is in the middle of a high profile book tour, I think this is convenient for her to shift the talking points to some of the things she has been discussing.”
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

                        Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

                        "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Rover View Post
                          In other news, Benghazi mastermind captured by US forces in Libya...

                          http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...944.html?hp=f1

                          Of course, this is really just to help Hillary sell books...

                          "A Fox News anchor suggested that President Obama captured one of the alleged architects of the September 2012 attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi to boost Hillary Clinton’s presidential prospects.
                          Speaking on Fox News’ Outnumbered just moments after news broke that the United States had captured Ahmed Abu Khattala, [Lisa Kennedy Montgomery] mused, “you have a former Secretary of State who is in the middle of a high profile book tour, I think this is convenient for her to shift the talking points to some of the things she has been discussing.”
                          So, if a former Secretary of State weren't a prospective presidential candidate, the US would have just let him disappear into the desert?

                          Comment


                          • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

                            Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Another lesson is violent religious fundamentalism can only be defeated from within. Secularism is an antitoxin that must be produced by the body; it can't be injected into it.
                            Of course the words violent, religious, and fundamentalism don't have to necessarily go together. You don't see the Baptists and (insert another conservative, fundamental Christian denomination) seizing cities, executing each other, etc., despite what Rover's active imagination dreams up at times.
                            Originally posted by Priceless
                            Good to see you're so reasonable.
                            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                            Very well, said.
                            Originally posted by Rover
                            A fair assessment Bob.

                            Comment


                            • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

                              Originally posted by Rover View Post
                              "A Fox News anchor suggested that President Obama captured one of the alleged architects of the September 2012 attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi to boost Hillary Clinton’s presidential prospects.
                              "The idée fixe becomes at its furthest extreme so powerful as to render any other ideas or life projects meaningless. ... 'I felt all inner development was ceasing, that all becoming and growing were being choked, because a single idea was filling my entire soul'"

                              —Susan Bordo
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                              Comment


                              • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

                                Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                That was Shepard Smith. He's gone off-script a few times the last 6 months. My money's on psychotic break over attack of conscience, but either way he's going to wake up with Gretchen Carlson's severed head some morning.
                                Political post of the year. No question.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

                                Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X