Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

    Originally posted by SteveP View Post
    NHL postpones Leafs-Sens game. Right move.

    BTW, the video of the shooting in the hallway of the Parliament building -- the Conservative and NDP parties were caucusing on either side of that corridor.
    I listened in on the radio because I enjoy the Canadian music stations. Wow. Just awful. I hope they get the parties responsible and everyone is safe.
    Twitter: DanMountSports
    2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

    2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

    Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

    "There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

    Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

    Comment


    • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

      Streaming CBC radio coverage here.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Streaming CBC radio coverage here.
        Watching BBC on the TV. Avoiding US taking heads
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

        ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

        Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

        I want to live forever. So far, so good.

        Comment


        • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

          I just saw vid from the Globe and Mail of the shootout. Wow. Chilling.

          Kepler, I switched to CBC radio during my errands.
          Twitter: DanMountSports
          2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

          2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

          Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

          "There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

          Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Streaming CBC radio coverage here.
            The former President approves
            @dick_nixon: The CBC coverage of the Ottawa shootings is everything that an American broadcaster would not do. Cold, patient, factual.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

            ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

            Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

            I want to live forever. So far, so good.

            Comment


            • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

              Question for you, Steve. How armed are regular Canadian beat cops? Do they have a sidearm or not? Just wondering. Thanks.
              Twitter: DanMountSports
              2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

              2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

              Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

              "There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

              Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

              Comment


              • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

                Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                Question for you, Steve. How armed are regular Canadian beat cops? Do they have a sidearm or not? Just wondering. Thanks.
                Patrol officers carry semi-auto sidearms. It's been 21 years since I left the Toronto force, so some agencies may now have patrol officers with shotguns and MP5 or other rifles. The last couple of years I worked I carried a shotgun in the trunk. Not sure, but the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary didn't carry sidearms, but that may have changed.

                Ooops -- Thanks Wiki --- As a result of the recommendations of the Select Committee on the Arming Policy of the RNC, members on operational duty were permitted to wear sidearms starting June 14, 1998.

                Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Watching BBC on the TV. Avoiding US taking heads
                I already want to reach through the TV and strangle Shep Smith.
                Last edited by SteveP; 10-22-2014, 12:45 PM.
                Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

                Comment


                • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

                  Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                  Patrol officers carry semi-auto sidearms. It's been 21 years since I left the Toronto force, so some agencies may now have patrol officers with shotguns and MP5 or other rifles. The last couple of years I worked I carried a shotgun in the trunk. Not sure, but the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary didn't carry sidearms, but that may have changed.

                  Ooops -- Thanks Wiki --- As a result of the recommendations of the Select Committee on the Arming Policy of the RNC, members on operational duty were permitted to wear sidearms starting June 14, 1998.
                  Sounds a lot like my uncle, who was a sheriff for many years. He had the same set of weapons, but he's also 6'6" and could handle himself.

                  I've also got friends in Ottawa that I heard from. Glad they're OK.
                  Twitter: DanMountSports
                  2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

                  2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

                  Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

                  "There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

                  Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

                  Comment


                  • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

                    Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                    Sounds a lot like my uncle, who was a sheriff for many years. He had the same set of weapons, but he's also 6'6" and could handle himself.

                    I've also got friends in Ottawa that I heard from. Glad they're OK.
                    I carried a revolver for my entire career -- we were switching to Glocks when I left.

                    My son lives across the river in Gatineau, but he's working in suburban Nepean today. He was a member of the Parliament Hill press corps for a time when he was a journo student. Two of my extended family are in lock down in their offices.
                    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

                    Comment


                    • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

                      SiriusXM (XM Service) carries CBC Radio 1 on channel 169 (for those in their cars like I).
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

                      Live Radio from 100.3

                      Comment


                      • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

                        The RCMP is holding a press conference, CBC's announcers noted that the word "terrorism" has not been uttered at all. Investigation is (obviously) ongoing, and some questions will not be answered until later in the investigation.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

                        Live Radio from 100.3

                        Comment


                        • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

                          Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                          NHL postpones Leafs-Sens game. Right move.

                          BTW, the video of the shooting in the hallway of the Parliament building -- the Conservative and NDP parties were caucusing on either side of that corridor.

                          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

                          Comment


                          • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

                            Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                            My son lives across the river in Gatineau, but he's working in suburban Nepean today. He was a member of the Parliament Hill press corps for a time when he was a journo student. Two of my extended family are in lock down in their offices.
                            Our best wishes to your entire family and your former peers. Thank you for posting your particular knowledge here; it is invaluable to have somebody with some experience.

                            Apropos of very little: are police in Canada required to be bilingual?
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                            Comment


                            • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

                              Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              The former President approves
                              To be fair to US journalists, the questions being asked at the presser by Canadian journalists are every bit as provocative and self-serving as what you'd expect in the Lower 48.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                              Comment


                              • Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

                                Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Our best wishes to your entire family and your former peers. Thank you for posting your particular knowledge here; it is invaluable to have somebody with some experience.

                                Apropos of very little: are police in Canada required to be bilingual?
                                Thanks Kep. As my aunt texted me about my son -- He is likely in the midst of the action if he is like you or (my cousin) Grant

                                Bilingual is the norm in Ottawa and eastern Ontario and in the RCMP it's mostly yes. Especially if you want to get promoted to command ranks.

                                In Toronto - I spoke a little French, some Italian, Jamaican, Somali, Farsi, etc. etc. I was also fluent in drunk!
                                Last edited by SteveP; 10-22-2014, 01:34 PM.
                                Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X