Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bull!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bu

Rick Mears wrote a great article on Racer.com. What he says should be applied to F1 and Indycar.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Re: 2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bu

I just read that Hamilton and Rosberg use different steering wheels, I assumed teammates used the same steering wheel. What do the lower end teams do?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        Rick Mears wrote a great article on Racer.com. What he says should be applied to F1 and Indycar.
        here's that write-up - http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/11...mears?showall=

I have to say I'm torn. I like the close racing that exists now but I also want to see the great drivers really separate themselves from the pack...If forced to choose I'd say let em' rip with less downforce and more HP.
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=solovsfett;6066483If forced to choose I'd say let em' rip with less downforce and more HP.[/QUOTE]

That is racing at it's purest. I grew up watching CART and there were races that had only a handful of cars on the lead lap, that is just the way it was, and no one was bittching about it. If I go to the local dirt track and Tim Fletcher has his car hooked up, he'll lap the field in the feature, it's just the way it is. Same in F1. That's racing.

Comment

F1 is discussing 1000 hp cars for 2017 with tweaks to the existing engines. I'm not sure why they should wait if it's "relatively" simple. Maybe they can also tweak the noise to a racier tone.

Comment

F1 is discussing 1000 hp cars for 2017 with tweaks to the existing engines. I'm not sure why they should wait if it's "relatively" simple. Maybe they can also tweak the noise to a racier tone.
              Only if they keep the 100l fuel limit. Personally, I like the combo of 100l + 100l/hr limits- they really force engineers to get the most energy out of fuel as possible. Which is very relevant to real cars.

Comment

I often read last year that they could easily improve the power and sound by simply raising the rpm limit. These engines are significantly lmiited for fuel and reliability reasons.
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                  I often read last year that they could easily improve the power and sound by simply raising the rpm limit. These engines are significantly lmiited for fuel and reliability reasons.
                  That's not entirely accurate. Nobody is running the engine at the ruled RPM limit, as they are far more efficient at lower engine speeds. They actually put in a lower RPM limit to put them up higher due to that. Since the V8's were up close to 20k rpm, these engines are very easy on that reliability.

When making as much power out of 100l/hr of fuel, anywhere you can translate that into more power or less losses, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    That's not entirely accurate. Nobody is running the engine at the ruled RPM limit, as they are far more efficient at lower engine speeds. They actually put in a lower RPM limit to put them up higher due to that. Since the V8's were up close to 20k rpm, these engines are very easy on that reliability.

When making as much power out of 100l/hr of fuel, anywhere you can translate that into more power or less losses, the better.
                    True.

I just didn't bother wasting my time with the details. LOL
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

...speaking of the sounds of F1 (and let's Indycar to that as well), I've love nothing more than to hear this once again - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKQMt01rKiQ

also for Indycar...Bobby Unser has discussed 2018 and what he'd like to see. I don't know if I agree with making INDY a stand alone event but...maybe he's right. Open up the rules for that race only? I don't know. Something needs to change and while the competition is close as hell and the field is very talented right now (generally) he's right in that Scott Dixon is a total unknown in the USA...and he's already in the top what? 5 or 6 in all-time victories? He's going to overtake Michael Andretti to be top 3 before he's done and it would be a shame if he's not a household name by the time he retires
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                        ...speaking of the sounds of F1 (and let's Indycar to that as well), I've love nothing more than to hear this once again - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKQMt01rKiQ

also for Indycar...Bobby Unser has discussed 2018 and what he'd like to see. I don't know if I agree with making INDY a stand alone event but...maybe he's right. Open up the rules for that race only? I don't know. Something needs to change and while the competition is close as hell and the field is very talented right now (generally) he's right in that Scott Dixon is a total unknown in the USA...and he's already in the top what? 5 or 6 in all-time victories? He's going to overtake Michael Andretti to be top 3 before he's done and it would be a shame if he's not a household name by the time he retires
                        I like the idea of having Indy be a stand alone race. I'm not too sure of the cost practicality of it.

Dixon is currently tied for 5th with Bobby Unser on the all time list (AAA, USAC, CART, CCWS, IRL, & Indycar) with 35. Tops is AJ with 67. Dixon is 7 away from Michael in 3rd. I think he will beat that. He's 17 away from Mario and I am not sure if he will get that one.
                        My Four Favorite teams:
                        RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                        Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                          I like the idea of having Indy be a stand alone race. I'm not too sure of the cost practicality of it.
                          I love the stand alone for Indy with minimum rules....6 tyres, turbine engines, 4 cyls, 16 cyls, no wings, lots of wings, let's go for it. But alas, it will never happen.....

Comment

I started a new 2015 thread...

2015 Thread
                            My Four Favorite teams:
                            RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                            Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by MattS View Post
                              I started a new 2015 thread...

2015 Thread
                              Before we end it, I got a news report that Marussa may be sold before the liquidation auction.

New thread, new team?

Comment

Working...
                              X