Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bull!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bu

Originally posted by MattS View Post
    Even if a SC had been deployed Jules might have been trying to catch up to the SC and done the exact same thing.
    That is a good point, but if I was presented with having an enclosed cockpit, a front deflection bar or a safety car deployment, I'd vote for the safety car. F1 still cleans up messes 90% faster than Indycar and won't take extra time to sweep the track, so I don't think it would ever get to the nonsensical amount of time it takes Indycar to clean up a mess in F1. I just think back to Course Marshals getting killed in the past and a S/C deployment probably would have done some good there.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Re: 2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bu

Maurice Hamilton is saying Vettel could end up at McLaren.

http://en.espnf1.com/blogs/motorsport/story/178623.html
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

After reading about Jules' injury today, it's bad bad bad. My mother in law had a stroke and to think Michael and Jules are/will be in a similar state makes me very sad. It sure pushes one's beliefs in a funky direction that you have to work your way through to see the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          After reading about Jules' injury today, it's bad bad bad. My mother in law had a stroke and to think Michael and Jules are/will be in a similar state makes me very sad. It sure pushes one's beliefs in a funky direction that you have to work your way through to see the light.
          For a more optimistic view, Jules's injury is the same on Richard Hammond suffered when he crashed the jet dragster back in 2006. Big head injury when the car's cage dug into the ground while rolling. He's come back.

Not to say Jules is the same, but for a glimmer of hope for such a horrific injury.

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
            I did not know this. However I would highly doubt a Russian owned team would not run two cars in the first modern Russian GP.
            From Formula1.com: "Marussia’s Jules Bianchi, who remains in hospital in Japan following his serious crash at Suzuka last weekend, with no news yet as to whether Marussia will field a car in his stead in Russia."

The FIA has not yet posted the official entry list.
            Russell Jaslow

Comment

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/109575-...ckpits-rethink

Please excuse the rambling here, my thoughts are all over the place right now

Selfishly I can't help but think adopting cockpits, like fenders in Indycar changes the sport radically into something closer to Nascar...and I've just never been interested in closed cockpit closed wheel cars.

Also, it seems a bit over the top to call for cockpits when Bianchi's hit was such a 1 in 1,000,000 accident. I don't recall ever seeing a car spin out of control and hit a tractor like that.

I wonder what Jackie Stewart, Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell, Niki Lauda, Nelson Piquet, Emerson Fittipaldi and on and on think about the idea of closed cockpit cars.

EDIT: This polemic brings to mind two quotes from Indycar drivers I've heard relative to the inherent danger of their sport

Al Unser Jr. "It's the nature of the beast"

Michael Andretti "He knew the risks,” Michael Andretti said. “We all know the risks when we get in the car. It’s a terrible thing, but unfortunately in our sport we’ve had a lot of days like these. They suck, but that’s the way it is."

Obviously I don't put my life on the line racing cars like these but in a way it's part of why I hold these drivers in such high regard. The Senna's, the Clark's, the Andretti's etc.

and in the end, most people who knew them seem to say if Senna knew the outcome, or Moore knew the outcome etc they likely wouldn't change a thing...
              Last edited by solovsfett; 10-09-2014, 12:17 PM.
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                For a more optimistic view, Jules's injury is the same on Richard Hammond suffered when he crashed the jet dragster back in 2006. Big head injury when the car's cage dug into the ground while rolling. He's come back.

Not to say Jules is the same, but for a glimmer of hope for such a horrific injury.
                Thanks for the hope glimmer.

I don't think enclosed cockpits are the answer. Massa getting hit in the head was also a one in a million thing when you look at all the laps of all the open cockpit cars race each year. Jules was a perfect storm so to speak. With Weldon the steel post was inside instead of outside the fence, with Franchitti the car got airborne, something the rear fenders are supposed to take care of. People die in closed race cars as well. Racing and most sports are dangerous. Life is filled with danger for you and I.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                  and in the end, most people who knew them seem to say if Senna knew the outcome, or Moore knew the outcome etc they likely wouldn't change a thing...
                  Nelson Piquet during his F1 days once confided to another driver (can't remember who, but I think it was either Stewart or Lauda) that he fully expected to die in a race car one day.
                  Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 10-15-2014, 08:15 AM.
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

This is from Forbes

The Chopper: One of the most serious indictments of the handling of the race was this simple fact: after his accident, Bianchi was driven to the hospital by ambulance because the weather was too bad for the Medi-vac helicopter that was on standby to transport injured drivers to fly. There are currently no indications that the delay caused by the grounding of the helicopter had an impact on Bianchi’s condition or his prognosis. But that seems to be an eminently sensible rule of thumb: if the weather is bad enough that the rescue helicopter cannot fly, the race should be stopped or at least slowed by the safety car (emphasis added).
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Picked up the Russian race at lap 35. Not much of a race.

And I don't like the track much- long, sure, but it looks like a city track in the middle of a parking lot (other than the olympic buildings). I guess I wait for a few more years.

On to Austin.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                        Nelson Piquet during his F1 days once confided to another driver (can't remember how, but I think it was either Stewart or Lauda) that he fully expected to die in a race car one day.
                        wow...I didn't know that...I actually don't know very much about Nelson Piquet but it's not surprising any of the drivers (particularly from the older generations 80's, 70's etc) would confide that sort of thing to a colleague
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Caterham to miss the next two races. My guess is that they are done.
                          My Four Favorite teams:
                          RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                          Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by MattS View Post
                            Caterham to miss the next two races. My guess is that they are done.
                            And apparently ditto for Marussia. Which once again nixes Rossi's F1 debut...
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

I guess at least Marussia and Caterham can take solice in that they outlasted HRT and Marussia scored 2 points.
                              My Four Favorite teams:
                              RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                              Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                                And apparently ditto for Marussia. Which once again nixes Rossi's F1 debut...
                                And now it's official. Marussia also enters administration.

http://en.espnf1.com/marussia/motors...ry/180949.html

Who's next? Lotus? Sauber? Force India?
                                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                                X