Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bull!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MattS View Post
    Just saw the video. Wow. I am amazed the Jules is still alive.
    Thank Dr. Watson
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: 2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bu

Originally posted by MattS View Post
      I just saw it myself, fan video. I don't think I ever want to see that again. Jules could have been decapitated if he'd have been a few inches closer to the tractor. Just an awful awful accident.

I will say though, I disagree with some who are calling for closed cockpits each time there's a bad accident.
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Re: 2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bu

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        I just saw it myself, fan video. I don't think I ever want to see that again. Jules could have been decapitated if he'd have been a few inches closer to the tractor. Just an awful awful accident.

I will say though, I disagree with some who are calling for closed cockpits each time there's a bad accident.
        Agreed on both accounts.
        My Four Favorite teams:
        RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
        Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

I did not know this. However I would highly doubt a Russian owned team would not run two cars in the first modern Russian GP.
          I forgot it's a Russian owned team. {Hey, Russell, it's right in the name, you dumb, dumb...}

Yeah, they are running two cars for their home GP. No doubt.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Or a few inches further away from the tractor, and his head never receives a blow.
            Russell Jaslow

Comment

I've been a Ferrari fan my whole F1 fan watching. But not after this season and not again until Vettel is gone. I have zero, none, nada, no use for Vettel!!!! *** is Ferrari thinking? This year has proven that Vettel has been overrated by a dominate car in the past seasons. I assume this means that Alonso is gone. Ugh. I'm not sure I can even watch this weekend and Suzaka is one of my favorite tracks. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
              I could not agree more. My son has gone into a funk over Vettel coming to Ferarri and the assumption Alonso is leaving. The only thing positive about Vettel's move is I might get to hear the German and Italian national anthems back to back again, it will remind me of the good old times. I am holding out hope Ferrari pushes Kimi out the door. Ferrari needs 2 top drivers like Mercedes has.

Poor Bianchi is all I can say. God bless him and his family.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

terrible accident and on top of that:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/29501069
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                  Or a few inches further away from the tractor, and his head never receives a blow.
                  True.

on a related note, Villeneuve is talking about rules changes to bring out Safety Cars each time there is an accident and for once I agree with him.
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    I could not agree more. My son has gone into a funk over Vettel coming to Ferarri and the assumption Alonso is leaving. The only thing positive about Vettel's move is I might get to hear the German and Italian national anthems back to back again, it will remind me of the good old times. I am holding out hope Ferrari pushes Kimi out the door. Ferrari needs 2 top drivers like Mercedes has.
                    Do you really think Alonso would accept Vettel as a teammate?

Besides, read this: http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1...eaves-ferrari/

Alonso got outplayed at his own political game. Karma is a b*tch.
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

My question about the video is why is the flagman in the tower still waving a green flag? The tv broadcast showed a local yellow so why is the flag person still showing green?

It is scary video. The ground workers start to react before Bianchi's car enters frame but I'm sure the crane operator had no time to see it coming. The workers are lucky they didn't get severely injured as well.
                      Scott Biggar
                      WITR - Voice of the RIT Tigers
                      Staff Writer - US College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Biggar View Post
                        My question about the video is why is the flagman in the tower still waving a green flag? The tv broadcast showed a local yellow so why is the flag person still showing green?
                        Because it is BEYOND the incident. Albeit, by a small amount. Another angle of the scene clearly shows this.

F1 rules (in fact, most European racing series, including Canada, use this rule) has the first flag station past the incident wave the green flag indicating to the drivers that the track is now green from that point on. You have to understand that flag stations only control the area from their station to the next station. They do NOT control any area before their station. Of course, drivers know this, and thus understand the signals.

Station 12 is past the point of the incident. They don't control the incident, Station 11 does. And Station 11 was displaying the double waved yellows as indicated by the FIA. Station 12 controls the area from their station to Station 13. Thus, they wave the green flag because that area is green.

It wasn't until Bianchi crashed and Control issued a Safety Car did Station 12 display the yellow flag because now the entire track was yellow.

Station 12 followed proper protocol.
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

True.

on a related note, Villeneuve is talking about rules changes to bring out Safety Cars each time there is an accident and for once I agree with him.
                          I don't know about every incident. I don't want to turn this into Indy car. Especially since a lot of F1 circuits have hooks that can reach over to the racing surface, which American tracks don't have.

But, certainly in the rain where it's a prime impact zone, the SC should be mandatory.
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Do you really think Alonso would accept Vettel as a teammate?
                            IMO, if he's smart he would but I do not think he will. I think he ends up at McLaren in a eqaully crappy car with Denis who he cannot stand.

I don't know about every incident. I don't want to turn this into Indy car. Especially since a lot of F1 circuits have hooks that can reach over to the racing surface, which American tracks don't have.

But, certainly in the rain where it's a prime impact zone, the SC should be mandatory.
                            Agreed. I do not think that SC needs to be deployed on most instances. It should be as it is a judgement call by race control. Maybe they need to error on the side of caution more but I don't think we need a SC every time some bum like Maldonado runs off into the gravel.
                            My Four Favorite teams:

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

IMO, if he's smart he would but I do not think he will. I think he ends up at McLaren in a eqaully crappy car with Denis who he cannot stand.
                              I agree as well. I'm just not sure how factual that article is, seems to be one guy's vision of what happened based on nothing.

The S/C should be sent out anytime there is a recovery vehicle operating inside the walls of the race course itself. It should also be sent out when course workers are scrambling around clearing debris. Safety first. That would have prevented this incident.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I agree as well. I'm just not sure how factual that article is, seems to be one guy's vision of what happened based on nothing.
                                I had also wondered about the facts of this article. If I recall correctly from my reading from this morning, I don't remember the author even mentioning any quoted people and it sounded like a lot of speculation (maybe true maybe not).

The S/C should be sent out anytime there is a recovery vehicle operating inside the walls of the race course itself. It should also be sent out when course workers are scrambling around clearing debris. Safety first. That would have prevented this incident.
                                I don't agree with all of this. Does a SC really need to be deployed if some knucklehead like Maldonado goes off into the gravel or a runoff area during dry conditions? I don't think so. The races will become way too much like NASCAR or Indycar. I think that if a car can either safely be retrieved or left in postition as long as local yellows are displayed and their is not some other dangerous component (rain, fog, gravel, etc) then no SC is needed.

IMO this was a freak accident that was cause by Jules driving above the cars capability for the conditions present and not heeding the yellow flags. Even if a SC had been deployed Jules might have been trying to catch up to the SC and done the exact same thing.
                                My Four Favorite teams:

Comment

Working...
                                X