Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bull!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bu

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Heck of a good day to be an open wheel spectator.

The race in Germany was incredible- who could have imagined an F1 race where three cars competing for the same spot would be going three wide going into a corner??!?! And we saw it more than once (not counting the first corner). That Kimi sandwich didn't look like it was going to be survivable.

Then to see Hamilton move his way through all but one of the field was really great to see. While I would have loved to see rain- as I think that would have gone into his hands, I'm also happy that the race was dry, Nico drove really well, and Bottas once again demonstrating that he's a heck of a driver and Williams has done the best to match Mercedes.

Finally, the last few laps between Alonso and Ricciardo. Epic. Instant classic. One where the guy who got beat mentions how much fun that was. Dan- I'm so relieved that you drive THAT agressively AND THAT cleanly.

Think about that a little- we get to see Bottas and Ricciardo for their entire F1 carreer to come up. We, the fans, are clearly the winner.

One other thing- that close and agressive racing on such a narrow track- one wonders what we will see next week.

Next week in Hungary.
    I agree with everything that Alfa wrote (except the spelling errors )!!! That was a great race in Germany. You're completely right about the Ricciardo and Alonso battle. That was epic! It reminded me of racing from back in the 80's and early 90's!

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Formula E(lectric) getting off the ground with a not so bad stable of drivers. Fox Sports will televise all 10 races.

http://www.foxsports.com/speed/formu...tw:fscom:speed
    You're right it is a decent lineup. I read rumors that Scott Speed is going to race for Andretti (he has tested for them). I might be in the (vast?) minority but I am looking forward to the Formula E series. I am firmly of the belief that electric cars are the future of racing and am interested to see how the racing is at this early stage in development of electric race cars.
    My Four Favorite teams:
    RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
    Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

• Re: 2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bu

Hungary -- wow! What a fun race to watch.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
        Hungary -- wow! What a fun race to watch.

For a track that you can't pass at... wow.

Seems like there were more passes than entire seasons past. (I know that's exaggerating, but...)

Heck of a fun last 5 laps. Holy cow.

Comment

Apparently Hamilton ignored team orders to let Rosberg pass.
          SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
          UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
          Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
          Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
          UMD Football: 2008, 2010
          UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
            Apparently Hamilton ignored team orders to let Rosberg pass.

Rosberg really wasn't all that close to even make a pass. He really didn't much come within DRS ranage... It's one thing to let him pass, it's another to slow down to make that happen, as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              Rosberg really wasn't all that close to even make a pass. He really didn't much come within DRS ranage... It's one thing to let him pass, it's another to slow down to make that happen, as far as I'm concerned.
              Rosberg.....I lost a little respect for the guy, crying for the move over like that. Then he couldn't pass him at the end when he was close enough on superior tyres.

I was just about ****ting bricks as Alonso held off Hamilton and Ricardo for lap after lap, could the unprobable happen? It didn't, but it was fun to watch.

I haven't watched the German GP yet, I am looking forward to it.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

great race @ Mid-Ohio yesterday. Josef Newgarden just can't get catch a break. That kid is clearly more talented than Marco Andretti and Graham Rahal and it's a mystery to me why none of the big 3 have gone after him. Newgarden, Conor Daly and Sage Karem all need top flight Indycar rides.

As for the rest, it was great to see Dixon win. I'm not a Ganassi fan but Dixon is just fantastic. I'm pretty sure that's 34 wins which ties him w/Al Unser Jr. Now that's really saying something. Yet he goes unappreciated by the sports media in this country...I guess riding around in a circle each week with a roof and fenders would garner him more attention
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                  great race @ Mid-Ohio yesterday. Josef Newgarden just can't get catch a break. That kid is clearly more talented than Marco Andretti and Graham Rahal and it's a mystery to me why none of the big 3 have gone after him.
                  Because his name isn't Andretti (driving for his father) or Rahal (driving for his father).

Newgarden, Conor Daly and Sage Karem all need top flight Indycar rides.
                  I believe Ganassi is grooming Karam for a full time ride next year. The question is, what seat is going to open up?

As for Daly, I'd like to know which direction he really wants to go in -- America or Europe?

I guess riding around in a circle each week with a roof and fenders would garner him more attention
                  Don't get me started...
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                    great race @ Mid-Ohio yesterday. Josef Newgarden just can't get catch a break. That kid is clearly more talented than Marco Andretti and Graham Rahal and it's a mystery to me why none of the big 3 have gone after him. Newgarden, Conor Daly and Sage Karem all need top flight Indycar rides.

As for the rest, it was great to see Dixon win. I'm not a Ganassi fan but Dixon is just fantastic. I'm pretty sure that's 34 wins which ties him w/Al Unser Jr. Now that's really saying something. Yet he goes unappreciated by the sports media in this country...I guess riding around in a circle each week with a roof and fenders would garner him more attention
                    I was shocked after Newgarden easily caught Dixon that he never really got that close to pass him.

I watched the F1 Documentary "1" the other day off the the dvr.....My son sure learned how dangerous racing used to be and a bit of the history. The only interesting tidbit I learned is Bernie offered to sell shares of the F1 tv contract for 1 million each to the teams when he set that up, but they all refused. Lord Hesketh said something to the effect...."Do you know how much testing I could do with 1 million?" Had the teams all bought in, who knows how things would have been different.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      The only interesting tidbit I learned is Bernie offered to sell shares of the F1 tv contract for 1 million each to the teams when he set that up, but they all refused. Lord Hesketh said something to the effect...."Do you know how much testing I could do with 1 million?" Had the teams all bought in, who knows how things would have been different.
                      I remember reading about that recently.

The question is, did Bernie do it because he felt it was the right thing to do at the time or did he overprice it on purpose knowing everyone would refuse, and then could say later one, hey, I made the offer, don't blame if I'm in complete control now?

Bernie has always been shrewd (he did after all start out as a used motorcycle dealer) and every move he makes has an ulterior motive.
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                        I remember reading about that recently.

The question is, did Bernie do it because he felt it was the right thing to do at the time or did he overprice it on purpose knowing everyone would refuse, and then could say later one, hey, I made the offer, don't blame if I'm in complete control now?

Bernie has always been shrewd (he did after all start out as a used motorcycle dealer) and every move he makes has an ulterior motive.
                        Excellent point. My thought was that Bernie was worried about shouldering all the risk and the millions he would have gained from the teams would have gone into his pocket and spread the risk out. I'm not sure what the thought was at the time when the deal went down that the broadcasts would be a success or not.

Comment

Not open wheel, but don't see the NASCAR thread.

Unconfirmed rumors swirling that Tony Stewart struck and killed a 17 year old driver with his car after an altercation tonight.

ETA: Four-letter network reporting it. Awful lot of smoke (heh) here.
                          Last edited by Twitch Boy; 08-10-2014, 01:51 AM.
                          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

There is reported video on youtube if you care to search for it.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                              Not open wheel, but don't see the NASCAR thread.

Unconfirmed rumors swirling that Tony Stewart struck and killed a 17 year old driver with his car after an altercation tonight.

ETA: Four-letter network reporting it. Awful lot of smoke (heh) here.
                              It was a sprint car race, so it is open wheel.

Video.

Tony Stewart is ****ed.
                              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                              Originally posted by Quizmire
                              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Man we've seen drivers leave their cars in Indycar, Nascar and I think in F1 as well to flip-off or point fingers at another driver (even toss helmets) but I don't think I've ever seen or been made aware of an incident where the person in the car makes such a stupid decision in that type of situation. Meaning this: Stewart had to know when he guns it his car is going to slide out toward the kid.

RIP Kevin Ward.

Tony Stewart's career is over. Who the hell would sponsor this guy now?
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X