Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bull!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bu

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Carb day.....why do they still use that term when the 16-30 yr olds have no idea what a carburetor is. I don't know the last car that I owned that had a carb on it....the '87 Stang....no that had injection...I probably have to go back to the '81 Capri that I owned in 1990.

I just can't get excited for Monaco, cool local but no room.
    Tradition.

Monaco is always great just watching the talent of the drivers keeping it between the guardrails.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Re: 2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bu

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      I got rid of two carb cars a year ago. But I don't count them- I never drove either one of them- big projects.

And not including them, I've never owned a carbureted car. My first car was an Alfa I got in '87, and it was fuel injected (it was a '77, and my '73 and '74 GTV's are fuel injected).

The only carbed cars I've driven were owned by my parents.

As for Indy... when was the last carbureted car? Most Offy's came with fuel injection, I think even back to the late 60's.

Just looked it up- if wiki is right, which referenced a indy traditions page, the last car that qualified that had a carburetor was in 1963.
      Besides my parents' cars, my first car was a 1982 Mazda RX-7 which had a carb. That was it for street cars. (I now own a 1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE, but since it is a SE, Special Edition, it has fuel injection.)

I did race a carburetor car up till 1996. The Sports Renault/Spec Racer used a carburetor (either Weber or Solex), until we all had to switch over to the Ford engines (whereupon the class was then called Spec Racer Ford) which were fuel injected.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        Carb day.....why do they still use that term when the 16-30 yr olds have no idea what a carburetor is. I don't know the last car that I owned that had a carb on it....the '87 Stang....no that had injection...I probably have to go back to the '81 Capri that I owned in 1990.
        I've had three. The first carb car I owned was a 1975 Buick Regal back in high school. The second one was a 1979 Chevy Camaro Z28 which I still have although it is not really streetable. And finally the third was a 1965 Pontiac GTO which I also still have. The GTO technically has 3 carbs, so does that count extra? Well actually I have the tri-power for the GTO but I do not have it on it. I have a Holley on it which makes it much more drivable.

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
        Tradition.

Monaco is always great just watching the talent of the drivers keeping it between the guardrails.
        This. Simply this.

This is the best weekend for motorsports. Monoco, Indy, and even though I'm not a Nascar fan anymore, the Coca-Cola 600 (is it still called that?). What a weekend. It's too bad it doesn't coincide with the US Nationals and LeMans, then I would be in motorsport heaven!!!
        My Four Favorite teams:
        RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
        Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

F1 Documentary on NBCSN right now. The heck with Hawks - Kings.

Great line by Sir Jackie about racing in the 60's - "That's when the cars were dangerous and the sex was safe."
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Great line by Sir Jackie about racing in the 60's - "That's when the cars were dangerous and the sex was safe."
            Aaah, forgot to set the DVR. And it's not being rebroadcast. I'll get the last hour and a half at least.

We watched the Senna documentary this evening. Tragic how he meet his end. It was interesting to see John Bisignano. I worked with him when we did race coverage from Pike's Peak International Raceway in 98-99.
            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Any idea which documentary it is? I don't get NBCSN and judging by what my dad is saying, it's not Champions Forever.
              This space for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by bueller View Post
                Any idea which documentary it is? I don't get NBCSN and judging by what my dad is saying, it's not Champions Forever.
                It was called "1"

Comment

Originally posted by bueller View Post
                  Had a lot to do with the improvements in driver safety. Dealt a lot with driver deaths and the improvements since Senna.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Had a lot to do with the improvements in driver safety. Dealt a lot with driver deaths and the improvements since Senna.
                    And changes to tracks to keep guys from hitting trees when they went off. It's a great film. Brings back a lot of memories. BTW I liked the race today at Monaco. It's just so hard to overtake there.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Re: 2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bu

That's a pretty ballsy call on the red flag.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: 2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bu

Good day for open wheel racing. Solid win for Rosberg- Hamilton just could not get him to make a mistake. Next time, Lewis. But whatever got into your eye sure made for an interesting finish.

And a darned good and clean 500. So long before the first yellow- and most of them were single car things. Just that thing between Carpenter, Hinch, and Bell. Some really close and very clean passing. Great stuff.

Ryan- congratulations! Great win- it very much looked most of the time I watched that it would be him or Helio- Marco had some time that he looked good, but not like those two guys. And even without the crash, I don't think Carpenter had a car to match the two of them.

The red was a good call- between the mess and the welding of the safer barrier, that was ok. Great to see that the drivers kept it clean from there out.

Oh, and TV guys- Kurt Bush can flat out drive. He's shown that for his entire carreer- don't be so shocked about that. I don't like him or NASCAR, but I do know without a doubt he's a heck of a driver. Just not great on the starts today- so he always had some distance to make up.

Comment

Great race in Monaco (though I would have loved to have seen Hamilton take it to Rosberg more)...

the INDY 500 was the polar opposite of the Indy road race. VERY PROFESSIONAL. The only bone-head move all day I think was Townsend Bell who I think caused the accident w/Carpenter.

Ryan Hunter-Reay is a deserving champion and I think this is something like his 13th or 14th win overall.

Juan Montoya was very impressive all day long as was Kurt Busch. I'm telling ya, Kurt Busch could win INDY if he chooses to come back, right off the start when he fell back to about 18th then 20th then sort of maintained that position I felt like he was just biding his time just learning how to race in traffic at those speeds at INDY and when he showed up in the top 10 then to finish 6th was a hell of an impressive performance. I really hope he comes back and brings Kyle Larson, Casey Kahne and Kyle Busch with him.

Also...bring even more intrigue, get Mark Webber in the race and get Rubens back.
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Monaco was a good race. The Mercedes cars sure are fast. Realistically the battles for the rest of the season are going to be:
                            1. Can any other team win a race? My guess is RB will get one.
                            2. Who get the WDC between Hamilton and Rosberg. I'm guessing Hamilton.
                            3. Can RB hold it together enough or Ferrari can make enough improvements for 3rd place in the WDC and 2nd in the WMC. My money is on RB and Vettel (ugh).

It was excellent to see Marussia get it's first points. Congrats to them.
                            My Four Favorite teams:
                            RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                            Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

In other back marker news- Catheram is pretty much out- http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/160285.html

Kinda too bad that that the team spent so much time and energy with that whole Lotus/Caterham thing. One does question if Haas will buy them, but he's been pretty clear that he wants to make his own car/team. And based on the results of Caterham, I don't question that- I wonder how much it would take to make them into what Gene wants. I'm sure he's done the math...

If they go- that would leave Marussia as the only team of the 4 to survive. One didn't make the grid, HRT is gone, Lotus/Caterham is going... But on the other hand Marussia DID SCORE POINTS this weekend!!! That's pretty huge.

I know teams came and went a lot in the 70's- but it's so much more expensive now. Too bad.

Comment

Monaco would have been more interesting had Kimi not got the puncture...could he have fended off Ricardo for 3rd? He is so snakebit right now. Vettel is getting his luck payback all at once for 4 years of good luck.

Indy....very good race. I think Carpenter had a car to fight with RHR. Too bad the guy on the bottom of the 3 wide just didn't back off. Helio's car just wasn't quite as good as RHR. He seemed to have to work for every gain he made, whereas RHR could do just about anything he wanted. Kudos to Busch. Kick in the pants to Power and JPM for speeding stupidly like they did. They got lucky with a yellow helping them get back into it, but in the end they had nothing for the likes of the top 4. Penske needs to re-evaluate his driver line-up. The most shocking things were Rahal sucking so bad and Dixon wiping out on his own.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X