Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bull!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    what an atrocious race today at Indy. First 2 guys stall or eff up the start, I mean c'mon! Then there's this from racer.com "An incident-filled race was watched by a respectable crowd of approximately 21,700 fans."

21,700 is respectable? it was a ghost-town out there! How the hell is that not considered an abysmal failure?

I love Indycar racing and desperately hope for it to succeed but I just don't see how it can make a come back in the current sports climate (... and incidents aside, I mean taxicar has accidents every 15 seconds it seems and their fans don't seem to mind it, so I don't buy that as a reason for a lack of interest)
    Lingerie Racing League?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: 2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bu

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      what an atrocious race today at Indy. First 2 guys stall or eff up the start, I mean c'mon! Then there's this from racer.com "An incident-filled race was watched by a respectable crowd of approximately 21,700 fans."

21,700 is respectable? it was a ghost-town out there! How the hell is that not considered an abysmal failure?

I love Indycar racing and desperately hope for it to succeed but I just don't see how it can make a come back in the current sports climate (... and incidents aside, I mean taxicar has accidents every 15 seconds it seems and their fans don't seem to mind it, so I don't buy that as a reason for a lack of interest)
      I think it has a lot to do with it. NASCAR fans and open wheel fans are different people. I watch for the racing- the fact that a driver can dominate a race, then to have a pair of experienced drivers not being able to play pattycakes together causing a yellow that lasted forever- which then caused that driver to be an also ran way far back like that... well, that's not fun to watch. Then add in all of the terrible starts after that- so many yellows means that there are other things that are better to do.

Between the odd rules for restarts, and the exact same reactions that NASCAR does- one yellow begats more- don't copy the cup cars. Bad idea.

Not fun to watch.

Comment

Re: 2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bu

I thought The Spanish GP was a little dull. Mercedes has turn into the RB of the last two seasons with the exception that the Nico can actually race against Hamilton. As much as I really, really, really, hate to admit it - Vettel had a excellent drive today. He really showed his talent today. (now I am going to go be sick). Kimi getting lapped today....uh oh.....

Re Indycar: I stopped watching Indycar mid way though last season. Just because the cars are close together does not mean the racing is good. Someone should explain this to that blowhard Robin Miller. Anyway, I just can't spend my precious time watching a mickey mouse series. If it isn't dumb things being done by the drivers then it is stupid decisions by the series that make it unwatchable for me. Don't get me started about the actual television broadcasts. Add it all up and I'm just not interested anymore. It reminds me of when I quit watching NASCAR. Spec cars with too many gimmicks with too much emphasis on wrecks.

Right now I watch F1, NHRA, sportscars and when I can catch the broadcasts WRC.
        My Four Favorite teams:
        RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
        Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Call me crazy, but I didn't think the Indy race was that bad. The standing start's outcome was unfortunate, but I've seen enough of F1 to have seen that same thing happen in that series. The end actually got interesting with Helio trying to catch 1st and 2nd on full rich and new tyres, though it was obvious he was a couple laps short of making it REAL interesting. I would agree overall there are too many driver mistakes, but they changed the contact rules this year so we'll be seeing more of that as they try and stick their noses in where they don't belong. I didn't pay too much attention to the broadcasters themselves, but from what I did hear (I was cooking at that time), it was not good, Cheever and Goodyear are no good. I thought 21,000 wasn't bad for attendance (I was hoping for 10,000, when this was announced it was nearly universally hated) I was not expecting the stands to be full or anything. I was a CART fan before an F1 fan, so I'm still interested in the series.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Being a huge Rick Mears fan, I love Helio's Pennziol tribute paint job for the 500. I just can't stop staring at that beautiful car. That's another reason I'm remaining an Indy car fan...the 500. I did boycott when TG split the series, but we're all good now. Once Penske gets out, I may get out as well, but with Penske in the series I am interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              Being a huge Rick Mears fan, I love Helio's Pennziol tribute paint job for the 500. I just can't stop staring at that beautiful car. That's another reason I'm remaining an Indy car fan...the 500. I did boycott when TG split the series, but we're all good now. Once Penske gets out, I may get out as well, but with Penske in the series I am interested.
              I was a huge Rick Mears fan, too. My father worked for Gould at the time they sponsored him.

But as for Indy car racing, I'm totally out. I watch the 500 and that's it. Even when I'm at an event where Indy cars are running, I never watch them when they are on the track. It's a useless product now, destroyed by f------ morons.
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I don't watch the 500 anymore simply because I believe as long as that makes money then the "leaders" of Indycar will not correct the problems that the series as a whole has because all they care about is the 500 and the money it makes. I firmly believe that within 10 years the only Indycar race left will be the 500.
                My Four Favorite teams:
                RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                  I was a huge Rick Mears fan, too. My father worked for Gould at the time they sponsored him.

But as for Indy car racing, I'm totally out. I watch the 500 and that's it. Even when I'm at an event where Indy cars are running, I never watch them when they are on the track. It's a useless product now, destroyed by f------ morons.
                  I was a member of the "Rick Mears Fan Club". I've got as box in the basement of all sorts of Rick Mears stuff. Those were the days...

No doubt Indycar was turned into a shell of itself by the whole split, but things are moving in the right direction. Once they get different aero kits to go with the different engines, it will be even more interesting. I do think the series has to push more speed at Indy. As I was growing up the elevating speeds were a big draw for me. Every year they need to go faster and faster. There wasn't a better sound that Tom Carnegie saying "A new track record" in that great voice he had.

F1 for me is is still my fav, but it's becoming too messed up with the kers/drs and all these complicated electronics the drivers have to deal with just to drive the car. The fia should ban telemetry, operate the throttle with a cable and limit the number of buttons inside the cockpit to 0. Same for Indycar.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    I was a member of the "Rick Mears Fan Club". I've got as box in the basement of all sorts of Rick Mears stuff. Those were the days...

No doubt Indycar was turned into a shell of itself by the whole split, but things are moving in the right direction. Once they get different aero kits to go with the different engines, it will be even more interesting. I do think the series has to push more speed at Indy. As I was growing up the elevating speeds were a big draw for me. Every year they need to go faster and faster. There wasn't a better sound that Tom Carnegie saying "A new track record" in that great voice he had.

F1 for me is is still my fav, but it's becoming too messed up with the kers/drs and all these complicated electronics the drivers have to deal with just to drive the car. The fia should ban telemetry, operate the throttle with a cable and limit the number of buttons inside the cockpit to 0. Same for Indycar.
                    I agree Indycar is moving in the right direction (slowly)...While I don't like the spec cars I can't help but watch them because I want them to succeed as w/out em there's only F1 and I don't have the $ to attend one of those events annually. Whereas w/Indycar I get to at least 1 race per year.

Speeds were 230 for qualifying today, that's pretty **** good. Kurt Busch @ 229 was pretty good as well.

Jacques Villeneuve is now opening the door to racing Indycar for a full season in the near future (2015?)...

I'm pretty pumped for the 500 this year, Villeneuve may be starting 27th and Montoya isn't quite there yet but the closeness of the cars and the length of that race combined with their experience could lead to some surprises.
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Here's another reason I feel INDY is going in the right direction albeit slowly

From the Indystar:
                      Jonathan Byrd Racing will field an Indy 500 car in 2015 with driver Bryan Clauson of Noblesville. Clauson was 30th in his 2012 Indy 500 debut for Sarah Fisher/Hartman Racing.

In order to recapture the fans that made INDY what it is they definitely need to get the USAC guys back to the 500 annually. Clauson's a great driver and he's a good start but they need 3-4 more @ the 500 and 2-3 to move up to full-time racers.

Also, forget about Rahal and Marco as for the future of American drivers (they've had more than enough time and have done diddly and squat respectively)...Josef Newgarden, Sage Karem, Conor Daly... there's your next Unser/Mears/Andretti right there. Getting them into the big 3 teams should be a priority.

Maybe when Penske steps down, Tim Cindric will take over Penske racing and have a more open mind to young U.S. drivers
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Fun qualifying today. It was really interesting to see the cars have that much trouble.

And addind Dario to the booth who had some first hand tenseness- that was genius. Why Goodyear and Cheever can't come close to that- ABC- there's your reason to replace both of them.

Congrats to Carpenter for getting the pole, Hinch- nice qualifying.

But we need 5-10 more cars to ratchet up the drama for real. Would you drop a decent time to get a better shot at the pole, or stay in the top 9 if that mean that you may not make it?

Comment

Three time F1 champ Sir Jack Brabham has died at 88. Obit in He's Dead Jim.

He was a giant in the days of giant men who drove by the seat of their pants.
                          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            Fun qualifying today. It was really interesting to see the cars have that much trouble.

And addind Dario to the booth who had some first hand tenseness- that was genius. Why Goodyear and Cheever can't come close to that- ABC- there's your reason to replace both of them.

Congrats to Carpenter for getting the pole, Hinch- nice qualifying.

But we need 5-10 more cars to ratchet up the drama for real. Would you drop a decent time to get a better shot at the pole, or stay in the top 9 if that mean that you may not make it?
                            I missed all of qualifying.....congrats to Ed, it's a good thing for a non Penske/Andretti to get the pole.

Read on Racer that fuel may be the new battle ground for F1, something that I don't like. I want the cars and drivers to decide things, not a fuel or tyre mfger.

Comment

Carb day.....why do they still use that term when the 16-30 yr olds have no idea what a carburetor is. I don't know the last car that I owned that had a carb on it....the '87 Stang....no that had injection...I probably have to go back to the '81 Capri that I owned in 1990.

I just can't get excited for Monaco, cool local but no room.

Comment

I got rid of two carb cars a year ago. But I don't count them- I never drove either one of them- big projects.

And not including them, I've never owned a carbureted car. My first car was an Alfa I got in '87, and it was fuel injected (it was a '77, and my '73 and '74 GTV's are fuel injected).

The only carbed cars I've driven were owned by my parents.

As for Indy... when was the last carbureted car? Most Offy's came with fuel injection, I think even back to the late 60's.

Just looked it up- if wiki is right, which referenced a indy traditions page, the last car that qualified that had a carburetor was in 1963.

Comment

Working...
                                X