Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bull!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bu

The sound of the current F1 car is definitely not appealing and I was pretty surprised at how much that affected my enjoyment of the race...there is at least this - http://www.racer.com/index.php/f1/34...ans-over-noise

...but maybe it's something we can get used to over time...Senna's 1988 MP4/4 doesn't sound too much different than today's car - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbKgW-gX7SI
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Re: 2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bu

Man, such complaints about the sound...

Having heard the V10's and the v8's live, they are horrifically painful in person. One HAS to wear hearing proteciton else suffer some serious loss in a short amount of time.

Perhaps now one can now watch without pain.

Time passes on, technology changes, and performance requirements change as well. Unless you are willing to not watch, I would just suggest accepting and moving on.

Again, since I started watching in the 80s', I like the sound quite a bit. Just like the change in Indy cars last year.

Comment

I heard the formula e cars on youtube today, they sounded kinda cool.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          Man, such complaints about the sound...

Having heard the V10's and the v8's live, they are horrifically painful in person. One HAS to wear hearing proteciton else suffer some serious loss in a short amount of time.

Perhaps now one can now watch without pain.

Time passes on, technology changes, and performance requirements change as well. Unless you are willing to not watch, I would just suggest accepting and moving on.

Again, since I started watching in the 80s', I like the sound quite a bit. Just like the change in Indy cars last year.
          Thank you! This is the best post I've seen anywhere about the new sound.

My sentiments exactly. Way too much is being made about the new sound. Unlike any other sport, racing affects a plethora of senses. Let's stop getting all bent out of shape over the sound. This F1 season promises to be a very interesting one. Let's enjoy it!
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            I heard the formula e cars on youtube today, they sounded kinda cool.
            Sounded? Is this supposed to be an oxymoron?
            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              Sounded? Is this supposed to be an oxymoron?
              There is sound, it's no oxymoron. Type in Jarno Trulli Formula E test, or something to that affect.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                There is sound, it's no oxymoron. Type in Jarno Trulli Formula E test, or something to that affect.
                Squealing tires...

I'm being a bit sarcastic. I'll check it out, because I am curious.
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                  Thank you! This is the best post I've seen anywhere about the new sound.
                  +1

Last night while watching TV (don't remember what but it wasn't sports) I saw a Microsoft commercial that featured the Lotus F1 team. It was pretty cool ad.

And today on my local AM news radio station there was a NBC Sports commercial for this weekends GP. I was stunned and even checked to make sure that I wasn't on the local sports radio station. And people wonder why Indycar is dying.......

Oh, and I am really excited for this weekend's GP. I am hoping for some excellent racing (this is one of two current Tilke tracks I like, Austin is the other) and am very interested to see how the very hot weather and possible rain will play out on the track.
                  Last edited by MattS; 03-28-2014, 10:30 AM.
                  My Four Favorite teams:
                  RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                  Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Saw the start of the F1 Race during the replay, but missed about 3/4 of it. Doesn't appear I missed all that much- Hamilton was driving away with Rosberg behind. Looks like Ricciardo dropped out, which let Alonso finish fourth.

I guess I should read the re-cap.

So, how was the Indy car race?

Comment

Saw the start of the F1 Race during the replay, but missed about 3/4 of it. Doesn't appear I missed all that much- Hamilton was driving away with Rosberg behind. Looks like Ricciardo dropped out, which let Alonso finish fourth.
                      IIRC, Alonso was ahead of Ricciardo when he retired or at a minimum he was giving him all he could handle.

The best racing was from about 6-8. Button, Massa, Bottas were giving a good show for the last quarter of the race.
                      My Four Favorite teams:

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                        IIRC, Alonso was ahead of Ricciardo when he retired or at a minimum he was giving him all he could handle.

The best racing was from about 6-8. Button, Massa, Bottas were giving a good show for the last quarter of the race.
                        I saw some posts on a different board about Massa and Bottas- where Massa was asked to move over so that Bottas could see if he could pass Button. Massa refused, which apparently happened after he complained about Bottas trying to pass him earlier in the race. Does Phillipe think he's #1 at Williams?

Comment

I saw some posts on a different board about Massa and Bottas- where Massa was asked to move over so that Bottas could see if he could pass Button. Massa refused, which apparently happened after he complained about Bottas trying to pass him earlier in the race. Does Phillipe think he's #1 at Williams?
                          My interpretation of the early radio messages was that Massa complained about Bottas and his aggressive driving to overtake him more than the fact that Bottas was trying to overtake him.

I do think Massa thinks he's #1 at Williams. Massa didn't refuse to move over, he simply ignored the radio message from the team. Bottas was faster for a while during the later stages of the race and maybe had something for Button. Massa could get right up on Button's car but just couldn't get past him.
                          My Four Favorite teams:

Comment

a plethora of race courses inside the Isle of Mann course. http://imgur.com/a/XRlVh
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I thought the Indy race was very entertaining. Power and Helio passed thier way up through the field, Sato faded after a strong first stint, Kanaan was right with Dixon despite a fuel flow issue, so he has not lost anything ability-wise. JPM and Rahal were disappointing, Rahal moreso. Maybe I had too high of expectations for JPM in the first race. I liked Bestwick as the play by play guy. The production was aweful, there were SO many passes that they did not bother to show even in a replay. Goodyear and Cheever are not the best choices, as we all know. It just shocks me that the producers of these races don't watch the F1 broadcasts and try and emulate those. These is so much more info being presented in the F1 broadcasts. Of course the producers probably don't know F1 exists.

Comment

Everyone saw the rumors about F1 and Long Beach? Turns out not to be rumors- I just read a thing that has Indy Car renewing their contract until 2018, but Pook was interested in possibly adding an F1 date. The original note mentioned F1 waiting until 2018 officiall, but had more information.

Hmm, that's interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X