Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bull!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    10 mil per season seems low for a title sponsor, but that's a well known name to tag to Indycar, alot better than Izod.
    I guess to put things in perspective MLS gets $20 million plus a year from Adidas, so yeah $10 million a year isn't great. But it's better than nothing.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Re: 2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bu

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      10 mil per season seems low for a title sponsor, but that's a well known name to tag to Indycar, alot better than Izod.
      I'm not certain what the details are. I just read that it's $12 million per season and includes some form of activation/promotional program...We'll see what transpires but it sounds a hell of a lot better on its face than Izod etc

It also paves the way for a Verizon vs. Sprint head to head competition carried over into racing (if in fact the CEO's dare to take it that far)

...just read Paul Tracy and Robby Gordon want to race the 500...Interesting. I think Tracy can pull it off easily. Not sure about Gordon, he's been away a long long time.
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Re: 2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bu

Red Bull is "sandbagging" before the first race is underway. An article in my local daily quotes Red Bull as saying that it wouldn't be surprising if one of their cars wasn't more than 2 laps down by the finish of the race.

Comment

well qualifying was fun, Hamilton on pole and Ricciardo outqualifies that punk Vettel. Let's see how he likes racing mid-pack. "wah wah, my car got worse on Saturday it was difficult to drive"

I have no idea why Ferrari are looking so average...Excellent job by Magnussen and Hulkenberg to land 4th and 7th respectively.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

great race! Rosberg had the field covered from the start. Too bad Hamilton went out as he could have taken the fight to Rosberg.

As for the rest, Ferrari are extremely underwhelming, what a disappointment. I wonder how long Alonso can handle not being in the fight for wins. McLaren looks strong again (surprise surprise, w/Ron Dennis back they're sure to be good all season), and Force India looked to be strong as well.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how this season plays out. Clearly, Mercedes has the car to beat- Hamilton was faster than Rosberg, and he won by a country mile.

As for the rest- Red Bull is interesting- Riccardo got DQ'd due to a non-approved fuel flow meter (recall that the engines are strictly restricted to 100kg/hr), so McLaren took a very nice 2nd and 3rd, and a nice lead in the constructors.

Alonso may not be impressive, but at least he managed. Kimi looks as if he's be better off 40 years ago when the fuel injection was mechanical- he just could not get a good hold of the car's different braking.

Huge shout out for Kevin Magnisson- 3rd on the track 2nd after the DQ- you really look like you belong on the team. Very cool

Big shout out for Williams and Bottas- great drive after busting a wheel and taking a BIG drop in the standings. It's too bad that Masa got nailed at the start of the race.

I'm good with the sound of the cars- being from the 80's and all. And the significantly less aero was pretty obvious in that the cars could drive near each other, and the braking showed the cars moving around. It was cool.

Comment

I enjoyed yesterday's race. There seemed to be decent passing and a real upheaval in the running order compared to the past few years. I hope it continues.

Wow, if yesterday was any indication, and if Mercedes has decent reliability then the rest of the field is in trouble. It could be like last season with RB.

I feel bad for Riccardo, but thems the rules, and I have zero doubt RB could have been cheating.

I agree with Alfa about Magnusson and Bottas. I hope both teams can keep up their good form.

I'm not sure if Kimi's issues were car related or driver related. But he did seem to struggle with the brake bias.

A year away from F1 hasn't improved Kobayshi's driving. I wonder if he's bringing enough sponsorship money to cover the cost of his wrecks.

I don't have a problem with the car sounds. I might have mentioned this before but after one attends a NHRA race in person, then all other motor sport sounds pale in comparison. I think it is especially so when watching on TV.
                My Four Favorite teams:
                RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                  I feel bad for Riccardo, but thems the rules, and I have zero doubt RB could have been cheating.
                  Cheating is possible, I suppose, but it doesn't seem particularly likely given the reported interplay with the FIA. My money's on RB being absolutely convinced that the flow meter was wrong and their own fuel delivery calculations were right. (Only they can say whether they're better off being right and disqualified or wrong and somewhere in the top ten below second... unless they think it was going to be so far off that they couldn't hold a position in the points, in which case it's worth the risk to defy the FIA and try to bank on an appeal. All assuming that RB is correct about the fuel metering, which is by no means a given.)

Re Kobayashi, there was reportedly a brake failure on the car.
                  Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                  Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

The sound of the cars....Racer.com has a great comparison of the 2013/2014 sounds, not good. My 17 yr old said the cars sound slow and boring without the high rpm screaming engines. I recall back in the glory days of CART the engines sounded all wound up like that. We used to sit in the grandstands @ Elkhart Lake and listen to them scream up the hill, then down shift through turn 1. It was awesome. Formula E will be interesting, but without the sound I don't know how captivating I will find it. I never realized how critical engine sound is until now.

I totally biffed dvring the race, so I was spared the Ferrari debacle and the Rosberg romp. The highlight of the weekend was Vettel getting cheered when we didn't make it out of Q1. I thought being Riccardos' teammate there might be some loyalty to Vettel as he's his teammate. Wrong.

Power is dominating Indy testing as usual. The big question is will he be able to not screw up this year or get nailed by bad luck yet again?
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                      My money's on RB being absolutely convinced that the flow meter was wrong and their own fuel delivery calculations were right.
                      Going down this path seems very risky to me. And why did all of the rest of the teams get it right and they did not. Especially the other Renault teams.

Re Kobayashi, there was reportedly a brake failure on the car.
                      I had obviously not read that when I wrote my post. But at any rate, I'm not sure I believe this one either although I suppose it could be the truth. It just looked like a typical Kobayashi move to me.
                      My Four Favorite teams:
                      RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                      Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Cheating is possible, I suppose, but it doesn't seem particularly likely given the reported interplay with the FIA. My money's on RB being absolutely convinced that the flow meter was wrong and their own fuel delivery calculations were right. (Only they can say whether they're better off being right and disqualified or wrong and somewhere in the top ten below second... unless they think it was going to be so far off that they couldn't hold a position in the points, in which case it's worth the risk to defy the FIA and try to bank on an appeal. All assuming that RB is correct about the fuel metering, which is by no means a given.)
                        I'm quite sure that RB is going to say that the flow meter was bad and the calculation was correct.

But there are some simple arguments that can be poked into that- first of all- the device in question is incredibly simple, they are more of a work or not work device, and had there been a consistent problem with the device, the odds of them having multiple ones that are bad is very remote. Remember, they do claim that the second sensor was bad, too.

Then, the device was inspected, probably the calibration checked by the FIA, and was declared ok. While it's natural to question the governing body, it's also a safe suggestion that a returned measurement device that is declared ok is actually correct.

On the specific device- this is used for all the F1 cars and all the world endurance cars- so it's not as if the device is some kind of new thing that nobody knows about.

Then, the calculation- that's very easy to get wrong. BTDT. I'm 100% sure that they calculate fuel flow just like the rest of us- using an injector calibration calculation. That uses the injector pulses, and the known injection pressure data to calculate how much fuel is flowing- which is very important to comare to the desired injection mass. That data is normally trimmed with a sensor in the exhaust- which I know they all use. That calculation is very easy to get slightly wrong.

Given a choice between a sensor vs. a calculation, I would personally side with the sensor.

Then there's the instruction problem- RB was instructed to make an adjustment from the FIA. They refused. That, by itself, seems to be a rather bad thing to do.

The sum of all of that, to me, means that Riccardo is excluded from the results, and should stay that way.

And by that, he should not persoanlly get 2nd with RB not getting points- one can not determine if this was an advantage, one that gave him an edge over Magnunssen- who closed fast on him later in the race. It may have been RB that caused this problem, but it is quite possible that Riccardo benefitted directly as a result of the problem.

Comment

Red Bull are formally appealing Ricciardo's disqualification.
                          Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                          Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

I really miss the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS4Dh_EAfJI

Comment

Aussie organizers consider filing suit for lack of sexiness. Next year could be different.

http://en.espnf1.com/australia/motor...ry/149751.html

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                                Aussie organizers consider filing suit for lack of sexiness. Next year could be different.

http://en.espnf1.com/australia/motor...ry/149751.html
                                A lawsuit? That's pretty ridiculous, though I agree the engines sound putsy.

Indycar car is doing double points for the 500 mile races. I don't like gimmicky points deals, but with the 500 mile races being roughly twice the distance of your average race, I like this move. Back when I was a kid, those 500 mile races were huge events and I think double points fits that. Here's food for thought...do you want to get some headlines? Do a 1000 mile race, no driver changes. I'm thinking oval, and it would have to be a track were they have to lift and not just mash the gas pedal flat the hole time and hang on. I missed the Pocono race last year, were they lifting or even braking in the corners?
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X