Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bull!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bull!!

Russell asked - and I attempt to qualify

Nothing better than a plethora of white smoke pouring from the back of an expensive race car. I'm glad those days are coming back -- at least I hope so.

First F1 race next weekend in the land of the urn holders.

I admit I prefer F1 over Indy. But F1 has been less than exciting recently. I hope we get more in race competition than what we've gotten over the past few years.

Have at it.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: 2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bu

Hopefully, Indycar will stabilize itself better enough that they will progress to a better chassis- one that allows multiple lines at Indy, like old cars did. The current car has gotten better, but relative to older cars, they can do a whole lot better.

I'm very much looking forward to the race next week- i'll get up early to watch, for sure. Should be fascinating- the balance between downforce and drag has never been more important- with all of the restrictions on fuel usage. That, and the straight speeds vs. the cornering speed difference will be higher than it has been in many years. Could it be that aero will have diminished so much that Newey's advantage is that much less? And how many races will it take for the Renault to be capable of answering that question for real?

Comment

Re: 2014 Open Wheel Racing - if it's white smoke, it's not a good sign & that's no bu

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Russell asked - and I attempt to qualify
      And you won pole position! Excellent job.

Nothing better than a plethora of white smoke pouring from the back of an expensive race car. I'm glad those days are coming back -- at least I hope so.
      Ditto.

I admit I prefer F1 over Indy. But F1 has been less than exciting recently. I hope we get more in race competition than what we've gotten over the past few years.
      Except for perhaps last year, I think the racing action on track has been outstanding in F1 the past few years.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        Could it be that aero will have diminished so much that Newey's advantage is that much less?
        Great designers always find a way to win out...

And how many races will it take for the Renault to be capable of answering that question for real?
        This will be the key that decides how the championship goes.

Mercedes vs. Williams? What a kick that would be.
        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          Mercedes vs. Williams? What a kick that would be.
          I am very conflicted so far this off-season...I'm a Ferrari man and Massa is my favorite driver. So do I hope that Williams and Massa have some magic and thump the rest of the field or do I hope that Ferrari and it's two WDC's get it in gear and do well.....

I guess I am hoping for a Massa WDC and a Ferrari WCC.
          My Four Favorite teams:
          RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
          Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
            I am very conflicted so far this off-season...I'm a Ferrari man and Massa is my favorite driver. So do I hope that Williams and Massa have some magic and thump the rest of the field or do I hope that Ferrari and it's two WDC's get it in gear and do well.....

Certainly, if Ferrari does well, that will produce a lot more intra-team fireworks, which will be a lot more entertaining to us fans, whether we like Ferrari or not.
            Russell Jaslow

Comment

With Chris Pook talking w/Bernie about Long Beach, I would suspect this is the end for the New Jersey/New York race if in fact F1 returns to Long Beach. I can't imagine the U.S. supporting 3 F1 races as historically we haven't been able to support even 1 for more than 5-6 years really.

I hope the LB opts to retain Indycar as they can't survive too many more kicks to the face.

I'm a bit ****ed that Conor Daly hasn't landed a full-time ride yet for INDY. He's got more talent than the ride buyers to be sure. And this goes for both F1 and INDY: the ride buying has to stop.
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I see where a woman will be entered at the British GP, for the first time in a long time, and if she qualifies, the first time since 1976.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Finally the new F1 season starts today! I am very excited for the season as I think there will be lots of on track drama due to driver changes and new car formulas. It should be a great year.

I read this morning that there is speculation about how many cars will complete the race. Some "experts" even saying that it is possible nobody will be able to finish. I doubt that but I guess it is possible. We shall see on Sunday!
                  My Four Favorite teams:

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Your veiwpoints mirror my son's he's a Massa guy. I'd love to see him contend, but the Prancing Stallion has to bring the titles home. The whole Kimi/Fernando dynamic is going to be facinating.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Finally the new F1 season starts today! I am very excited for the season as I think there will be lots of on track drama due to driver changes and new car formulas. It should be a great year.

I read this morning that there is speculation about how many cars will complete the race. Some "experts" even saying that it is possible nobody will be able to finish. I doubt that but I guess it is possible. We shall see on Sunday!
                      I was fully expecting to watch my computer tonight, but apparently P1 will be shown live on NBCSN. There's also a pre-show the half hour prior;;;;

or
                      9pm EST- Countdown to F1
                      9:30 EST- Live P1.

Also, remember that while the race is live Sunday early, NBCSN will also show the replay pretty early. As in 6:30 AM for me in A2. I may get up and watch. Being that it's a two hour slot, that's the race and not the pre-race.

Comment

Watching the coverage on NBCSN. Pretty good...... I'm not a fan of the course though.

If there is one team I'd like to do well it would be Williams.
                        And boy the cars understeer a lot. Button was on the radio talking about his rear tires overheating after two hot laps, and slowing his time considerably.
                        Last edited by manurespreader; 03-13-2014, 09:27 PM.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

can't wait for the race in Australia sunday morning!!!

re: INDY...so Robby Gordon and Paul Tracy want to race the 500?!?!??

Verizon is the new title sponsor to the tune of $10million per season?

sounds like Indycar is finally gaining a bit of momentum...
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                            Verizon is the new title sponsor to the tune of $10million per season?

sounds like Indycar is finally gaining a bit of momentum...
                            10 mil per season seems low for a title sponsor, but that's a well known name to tag to Indycar, alot better than Izod.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              10 mil per season seems low for a title sponsor, but that's a well known name to tag to Indycar, alot better than Izod.
                              I'm surprised that Indycar could get any major company to actually pay to be a sponsor! I figured if they could get a company to do promotion of the sport that would be a major coup. Now add $10M on top of that and its a huge win for Indycar.
                              My Four Favorite teams:

Comment

Working...
                              X