This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: He's dead, Jim.

Getting a tattoo should only have one requirement. First you are required to closely examine the upper arm of a 78 year old sailor. Then, feel free.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
      only some of them. Fair amount of young people who have to have one to prove they turned 18. Then there is the lady who has an entire scene on her lower abdomen that extends into "that" area. That one has a story
      This is what bothers me about some who get inked. They get it because "it looks cool." Not acceptable to me. Have it mean something to you. It's (probably/should be) permanent. My brother finally got a tattoo (he always wanted one). Unfortunately, it wasn't the one he's had drawn up for years. It's a tribute tattoo to his wife, who passed away last year. I currently have four, all mean something to me, and will be getting a fifth one this summer: a tribute tattoo to my (soon forthcoming) son.

And PLEASE understand that if one gets a tattoo that one cannot hide...good luck in the job market in general.

One of the coolest tattoos I've seen was on a former co-worker. He was Hmong, and he had a sleeve. Part of the sleeve was three flowers: one about to bloom, one in full bloom, and one that was wilted. Full color. I asked what it meant, and he said it represented birth, life, and death. It was really beautiful.

Edit: SJHovey: if it ends up looked a little off...so be it. As long as it still means something to you. Ink is for you, not anyone else. You know?
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I'll just be over here ogling these Suicide Girls.
        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          Edit: SJHovey: if it ends up looked a little off...so be it. As long as it still means something to you. Ink is for you, not anyone else. You know?
          I understand completely. I'm sure none of those sailors would want theirs removed either.

But for many people, including young women who think there is something appealing about them, it doesn't hurt to get a look at the future, and the reddish, bluish, greenish blob that will adorn your leg, your arm or the small of your back.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I have no problem with people having tattoos, as long as they're not gaudy or just downright stupid/done thoughtlessly. Like Brent said, make it mean something, and make sure you can cover it up if needed, and there shouldn't be any problem at all.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

This is what bothers me about some who get inked. They get it because "it looks cool." Not acceptable to me. Have it mean something to you. It's (probably/should be) permanent. My brother finally got a tattoo (he always wanted one). Unfortunately, it wasn't the one he's had drawn up for years. It's a tribute tattoo to his wife, who passed away last year. I currently have four, all mean something to me, and will be getting a fifth one this summer: a tribute tattoo to my (soon forthcoming) son.

And PLEASE understand that if one gets a tattoo that one cannot hide...good luck in the job market in general.

One of the coolest tattoos I've seen was on a former co-worker. He was Hmong, and he had a sleeve. Part of the sleeve was three flowers: one about to bloom, one in full bloom, and one that was wilted. Full color. I asked what it meant, and he said it represented birth, life, and death. It was really beautiful.

Tattoos aren't my cup of tea and I think a lot less people would get them if they realized how bad they'll look down the road, but I can respect folks who get them for a meaningful reason for them, as you discuss.
              Originally posted by Priceless
              Good to see you're so reasonable.
              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
              Very well, said.
              Originally posted by Rover
              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                Not as much as you think, at least in my observation. Tattoos don't have as much of that "forbidden fruit" stigma anymore.
                Right. But they "have to have one" cause all their friends have one, or it's the cool thing to do to have one. But of course, it's to "express their individuality" just like all the rest of their tattooed and pierced generation.
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Not as much as you think, at least in my observation. Tattoos don't have as much of that "forbidden fruit" stigma anymore.
                  Around here there are plenty of kids who get them right when they turn 18. They also buy lottery tickets.

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  I understand completely. I'm sure none of those sailors would want theirs removed either.

But for many people, including young women who think there is something appealing about them, it doesn't hurt to get a look at the future, and the reddish, bluish, greenish blob that will adorn your leg, your arm or the small of your back.
                  lower abd after a pregnancy. Um, yeah.

Like I said I have seen some truly beautiful art work. The skill to do that is amazing. I just have trouble with previous bias. THe ones across the front of the neck really creep me out

Comment

This. Facial tats and ear gauges are a commitment. You can get them if you're a genius or you're planning on never getting a job that requires bathing. Otherwise, you should stay clear.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                      Around here there are plenty of kids who get them right when they turn 18. They also buy lottery tickets.
                      Topic over. leswp1 wins.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Yes sir-but I would not count on the reds and yellows hanging around as well as the greens and blues. The brighter colors are more prone to fading out. In the olden days, when the red was a cinnabar compound and was loaded with mercury, it served a valuable medical purpose. When we used to see a rash involving most of the body, but sparing the red areas of a tattoo, the diagnosis was made simple.The rash of secondary syphilis, which partially responded to mercury, would avoid those red areas.
                        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                          Yes sir-but I would not count on the reds and yellows hanging around as well as the greens and blues. The brighter colors are more prone to fading out. In the olden days, when the red was a cinnabar compound and was loaded with mercury, it served a valuable medical purpose. When we used to see a rash involving most of the body, but sparing the red areas of a tattoo, the diagnosis was made simple.The rash of secondary syphilis, which partially responded to mercury, would avoid those red areas.
                          Is this why you still bleed RPI red, for the syphillis?
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Well, since my wife has tattoos and piercings I don't have to worry about any of you ogling her!

I guess it is a generational thing since tattoos and piercings are far more common among my generation (along with low rider jeans and whale tails ). I also don't think of them as cries for attention. Tattoos tend to have personal stories behind them.
                            Yeah, but some of us do not want to know the story that lead you to putting a baby's face on a clown's body on the back of your shoulder. Its creepy I tell ya!!
                            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                              Yeah, but some of us do not want to know the story that lead you to putting a baby's face on a clown's body on the back of your shoulder. Its creepy I tell ya!!
                              There are exceptions.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                Is this why you still bleed RPI red, for the syphillis?
                                One of the perks of being a licensed physician is access to some of the medications. Some of the penicillin derivatives still work close to 100% effectively against syphilis. Not so with some of the other venereal infectious agents as these bugs may be smarter than we are and have developed fairly strong methods of becoming immune. Back in the 70's I could cure most cases of gonorrhea with simple antibiotic regimens and often just penicillin. 45 years later, there are some strains resistant to everything and anything we come up with, and it takes combinations of drugs in boatload dosages and in a few cases even those do not work well.
                                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Working...
                                X