This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: He's dead, Jim.

I had earrings just after college, two in my right ear(yeah, left is right and right is wrong). And that's why I did it. There weren't supposed to be rules regarding which ear was the correct one for guys to pierce. Hell, Keith Richards had his right ear pierced way back in 1969. And that's another part of why I did it. But anyway, i digress.

Wore my earrings for almost 20 years, until I was between jobs, and figured I'd better fly straight to help out with the job prospects. Now, whenever I see an older guy, gray haired with an earring, I just can't help but think, dude, grow up, leave the hipster "look at me I'm so cool" stuff for the young kids.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Piercings just say "desperate need for attention."
      That's my take, anyway.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

There's nothing objectively wrong with it, though. I'm taking all my judgments as just that -- judgments specific to a certain time and a certain SES. That may well change. Example: hair length. I don't associate long hair on guys with anything at all, because I grew up in the 70's. My parents OTOH could never shake a whole set of associations. It may well be that today's 30-somethings could not care less about tats and piercings because they were so ubiquitous they no longer meant anything. I gotta say, I think that's a lot healthier.

But just because you know your judgments are specific to your time and place doesn't make them any weaker.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

One other thought-if you feel you need to adorn yourself with something, why can't it be a temporary thing? Want a tattoo? Have something painted or stained on and remove it at some time. Want to wear an earring, clip it on so you do not leave some gaping hole. In my earlier years I was as much the rebel as anyone. I cut lightning bolts into the hair on the sides of my head and dyed them purple. I had hair halfway to my waist braided with beads in the braid. But it was the 70's and I was in my 20's and 30's. Nothing that i did was ever permanent and could not be removed or regrown in a month.
          I suppose that there is just a major difference between those who think about the long term consequences of their actions, and those who do not. Over the years I probably have heard all the reasons and excuses for doing all the weird things people do to themselves(having first been in psychiatry and then cosmetic dermatology and plastic surgery). Thinking back on all of them, none of them make too much sense.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
            One other thought-if you feel you need to adorn yourself with something, why can't it be a temporary thing? Want a tattoo? Have something painted or stained on and remove it at some time. Want to wear an earring, clip it on so you do not leave some gaping hole. In my earlier years I was as much the rebel as anyone. I cut lightning bolts into the hair on the sides of my head and dyed them purple. I had hair halfway to my waist braided with beads in the braid. But it was the 70's and I was in my 20's and 30's. Nothing that i did was ever permanent and could not be removed or regrown in a month.
            I suppose that there is just a major difference between those who think about the long term consequences of their actions, and those who do not. Over the years I probably have heard all the reasons and excuses for doing all the weird things people do to themselves(having first been in psychiatry and then cosmetic dermatology and plastic surgery). Thinking back on all of them, none of them make too much sense.
            But, doc, you were dropping and thought all those adornments were permanent.

Comment

I suppose that there is just a major difference between those who think about the long term consequences of their actions, and those who do not.
              That difference is real (it's called turning 25 if you're a woman or 30 if you're a man), but that has been the case for people born in 1980, 1960, or 400 BC.

I think it comes down to caste. When I was growing up, tattoos were gotten by guys who either already had or were genetically fated to join the Navy. When my daughter was growing up, tattoos had completely lost that association and if anything had become associated with the kind of obnoxious teen who liked Hot Topic. How'd that change happen? I assume marketing, either immediately after (or before) some bubble-brained tween pop singer let her tat flag fly. From such things are fads born.

The closest thing to a sociological theory I've read is that girls who grew up after Women's Lib went mainstream in the 70's wanted to assert their right to control their bodies. A tattoo was basically a way of telling daddy, "you don't own me the way you used to." That does make some sense.

Other theories are that tattooing became much less scary around that time. Certainly when I was growing up tattoo artists were perceived as super skeevy and the process was perceived as painful and dangerous. This theory posits that's what was keeping little Eric and Erika out of the parlors. I guess it's possible that the actual techniques used advanced significantly in the 70's and were no longer the equivalent of playing Russian roulette with infectious disease.
              Last edited by Kepler; 01-13-2015, 04:50 PM.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

That difference is real (it's called turning 25 if you're a woman or 30 if you're a man), but that has been the case for people born in 1980, 1960, or 400 BC.

I think it comes down to caste. When I was growing up, tattoos were gotten by guys who either already had or were genetically fated to join the Navy. When my daughter was growing up, tattoos had completely lost that association and if anything had become associated with the kind of obnoxious teen who liked Hot Topic. How'd that change happen? I assume marketing, either immediately after (or before) some bubble-brained tween pop singer let her tat flag fly. From such things are fads born.

I still remember we had an older student (like middle school or high school) come to my kindergarten class and talk about the dangers and consequences of getting tattoos. Really.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                  Short answer: Makes it look bigger.
                  Pffft. if it is small enough you are afraid it is hiding then no amount of shaving will help. And replay the line from what ever movie, book or ten that says something about it is how you use it .....

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Some of us don't need the help.

Me neither. For me, tats and cigs will always say "low income, low IQ." Piercings just say "desperate need to conform."
                  This. When I was a kid no one I knew had a tat except my buddy's dad who was in the navy. My Cousin is my age, got a couple of tattoos but is also had an age crisis- trying to be her kids best friend, going drinking with them, etc. Not a way to change my mind...

Agree strongly. The only tats that do not make me think that way are those that were put on involuntarily at that camp in Poland about 70 years ago. Piercings to me say "I want to be so different that I will do what every one else is doing." I guess it is not only my age that is showing, but also my experience.
                  If it makes me old then I guess I am old. I dyed my hair, had 3 piercings in each lobe when 1 was radical but piercings that would easily be invisible if I decided to take them out. I don't get the piercings of important body parts, the little dermal thingies that they screw into the chest or back, the pierced lip, eyebrow or my all time duh- the gigantic earlobes that look like someone put tire rims in. Obviously not interested in a career that is going anywhere or incredibly brilliant to the point no one will care (the latter less likely)

Comment

Zsa Zsa still lives
                    (getting back on track)
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Back in the early to mid 70's while teaching at BU Medical School-part of my employment included running the free VD clinic for BU Hospital and BC Hospital on Tuesday evenings. The chief of Venereology (Dermatology was at one time called Dermatology and Syphilology and usually the specialty that had the most experience in treating the disease) had this theory that if a young lady came into the clinic with a tattoo that had any sort of sexual connotation, you had to make sure to run all the tests since it was about 99% certain she would be positive for one of the many venereal diseases. Ostensibly we were there to treat syphilis, but because no one else wanted to do it, we got to treat all the gonorrhea, herpes, venereal warts, and all the exotic VD that our boys were bringing back from Southeast Asia when Viet Nam was still a hot item. During the three years i was there, I must say he was about 90% correct.
                      But those were different times and I am sure 40 years have changed much of this(or at least I hope so).
                      BTW, back then the only ladies coming into the clinic with unusual piercings(not just the earlobes) usually were those working the 2 O'Clock lounge in the Combat Zone. Many would ask me as a skin surgeon to do some of the piercings for them.
                      Last edited by DrDemento; 01-13-2015, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                        Back in the early to mid 70's while teaching at BU Medical School-part of my employment included running the free VD clinic for BU Hospital and BC Hospital on Tuesday evenings. The chief of Venereology (Dermatology was at one time called Dermatology and Syphilology and usually the specialty that had the most experience in treating the disease) had this theory that if a young lady came into the clinic with a tattoo that had any sort of sexual connotation, you had to make sure to run all the tests since it was about 99% certain she would be positive for one of the many venereal diseases. Ostensibly we were there to treat syphilis, but because no one else wanted to do it, we got to treat all the gonorrhea, herpes, venereal warts, and all the exotic VD that our boys were bringing back from Southeast Asia when Viet Nam was still a hot item. During the three years i was there, I must say he was about 90% correct.
                        But those were different times and I am sure 40 years have changed much of this(or at least I hope so).
                        BTW, back then the only ladies coming into the clinic with unusual piercings(not just the earlobes) usually were those working the 2 O'Clock lounge in the Combat Zone. Many would ask me as a skin surgeon to do some of the piercings for them.
                        When I worked at MGH from 70-77 the VD clinic was originally called Skin-L (L for Lues). It was under the aegis of the Dermatoligy Dept. They later changed it to the GID clinic, or Genito-Infectious Disease. We called it the Giddy Clinic. I knew who not to date on Beacon Hill.
                        Originally posted by mookie1995
                        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                          When I worked at MGH from 70-77 the VD clinic was originally called Skin-L (L for Lues). It was under the aegis of the Dermatoligy Dept. They later changed it to the GID clinic, or Genito-Infectious Disease. We called it the Giddy Clinic. I knew who not to date on Beacon Hill.
                          Running the clinic at BU was an education for me. I was young and in spite of all my medical training, quite naive. We had quite a cross section of Boston as patients but lots of hookers(not real great looking) and lots of exotic dancers(some real hotties in this group). My only problem with the clinic was that the hours ended at about 10PM and I had to commute out to the Marlborough area since I could not afford to live anywhere close to Boston.

Comment

Well, since my wife has tattoos and piercings I don't have to worry about any of you ogling her!

I guess it is a generational thing since tattoos and piercings are far more common among my generation (along with low rider jeans and whale tails ). I also don't think of them as cries for attention. Tattoos tend to have personal stories behind them.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              Well, since my wife has tattoos and piercings I don't have to worry about any of you ogling her!

I guess it is a generational thing since tattoos and piercings are far more common among my generation (along with low rider jeans and whale tails ). I also don't think of them as cries for attention. Tattoos tend to have personal stories behind them.
                              only some of them. Fair amount of young people who have to have one to prove they turned 18. Then there is the lady who has an entire scene on her lower abdomen that extends into "that" area. That one has a story

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                                only some of them. Fair amount of young people who have to have one to prove they turned 18. Then there is the lady who has an entire scene on her lower abdomen that extends into "that" area. That one has a story
                                Not as much as you think, at least in my observation. Tattoos don't have as much of that "forbidden fruit" stigma anymore.
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Working...
                                X