X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: He's dead, Jim.

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
    Lord knows no kids ever took tennis balls and hockey sticks into the streets before Mylec.
    you have to realize that plastics is big nearby (Leominster, MA)... which is why I put down "claimed"
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
      you have to realize that plastics is big nearby (Leominster, MA)... which is why I put down "claimed"
      I was reacting to the article, not your post. I saw the "claimed" in your post.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
        Lord knows no kids ever took tennis balls and hockey sticks into the streets before Mylec.
        Considering I was playing road hockey in the early 60s I'd say the claim is incorrect. Be that as it may, may he rest in peace.
        Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          When you take a tennis ball out of the snowbank that's been holding it for you overnight, it really doesn't have that elasticity that makes them so appealing in the first place. So many welts, and it wasn't uncommon for one of the guys to topple over after a shot to the giblets, especially as we got into our middle and high school years.
          We sometimes used a lacrosse ball.
          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            When you take a tennis ball out of the snowbank that's been holding it for you overnight, it really doesn't have that elasticity that makes them so appealing in the first place. So many welts, and it wasn't uncommon for one of the guys to topple over after a shot to the giblets, especially as we got into our middle and high school years.
            There was ONE night.....after that, I never hit the ice/street without wearing a cup. Ever.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Australian cricketer Phil Hughes, 25
              http://m.bbc.com/sport/cricket/30219...e=news_central

Totally freak injury. The ball hit him in the back of his head.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

@BBCBreaking: Novelist PD James has died, aged 94, her agent confirms http://bbc.in/1CkK2Gk
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  There was ONE night.....after that, I never hit the ice/street without wearing a cup. Ever.
                  My brother is 5 years older than I. When I was 7 and we were still living in Edina, my brother had several friends on the same block his age and boot hockey was super common when they weren't at the rink. I of course being of the tagalong age always wanted to play with them and when I did they made me play goalie. They would of course tee up whenever they had a chance, but the only cup I used was usually a roll of socks.

One time I said I had to take a leak and they told me if I left to go to the bathroom they wouldn't let me back in the game for the rest of the day. Well...

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    My brother is 5 years older than I. When I was 7 and we were still living in Edina, my brother had several friends on the same block his age and boot hockey was super common when they weren't at the rink. I of course being of the tagalong age always wanted to play with them and when I did they made me play goalie. They would of course tee up whenever they had a chance, but the only cup I used was usually a roll of socks.

One time I said I had to take a leak and they told me if I left to go to the bathroom they wouldn't let me back in the game for the rest of the day. Well...
                    The night in question, I was a defenseman.

Soon after, we lost our goalie, so I converted to being a netminder. Didn't wear a helmet, until I caught a shot to the eye (no, the ball didn't go in; that was my first question ).

I wasn't the smartest youth when it came to such things.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Playing park rink hockey when I was a kid, I was almost always a defenseman. Only because I could skate backward. Here and there I was a goalie, because I wasn't as terrified of the puck/ball as others.

Come the summer when street hockey started, I was a center. I am much more skilled at handling a tennis ball than a puck.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                        Playing park rink hockey when I was a kid, I was almost always a defenseman. Only because I could skate backward. Here and there I was a goalie, because I wasn't as terrified of the puck/ball as others.

Come the summer when street hockey started, I was a center. I am much more skilled at handling a tennis ball than a puck.
                        I can't shoot a ball/puck worth a sh*. I could pass like a mofo, though. Hence me being D/G .

Comment

Kirk Douglas: not dead yet.
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Gordie Howe has had a 3rd (massive ) stroke according to Mark Howe. In the ER.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Gordie Howe has had a 3rd (massive ) stroke according to Mark Howe. In the ER.
                              Hat trick; still fighting.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Bobby Keys saxophonist in the Rolling Stones at 70.
                                DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Working...
                                X