X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slap Shot
    replied
    Re: He's dead, Jim.

I was lucky enough to have met with JP a few times. He couldn't have been any classier or more humble had he tried. Very sad to hear about this.

Leave a comment:

• SteveP
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Islander hero J.P. Parise, 73.
    Fixed both your posts. RIP J.P.

The degree to which Parisé was held in respect in the hockey world resulted in being named to play for Team Canada in the Summit Series in 1972. He was a surprise pick to the team and didn't expect to see much ice time, but ended up playing in six of the eight games. He played on a line with superstar Phil Esposito and had two goals and two assists.

Parisé was best known in the series for nearly attacking unpopular referee Josef Kompalla with his stick in the eighth game after Kompalla had handed out a series of questionable penalties against the Canadians. Parisé held back at the last minute from striking Kompalla and was ejected from the game in consequence. As a silver lining, the officiating of the game improved considerably after Parisé's threat which allowed his teammates a chance to get back in the game.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    I remember a TV commercial from years ago about a village in the Caucuses where all the men supposedly lived well into their 90s, and the commercial attributed it to their diet of yogurt.

It turns out that 60 years earlier, there was forced conscription into the Russian army for all males under age 30. Somehow every male in that village was 31 or older at the time. They even had the birth records to "prove" it!
    I remember that ad. Didn't know the rest of the story, though. Very nice.

Leave a comment:

• goldy_331
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    He may have had more wins as an Islander...
    Well, at least more post season wins...

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    I believe he still has the quickest Stanley Cup OT goal. It eliminated my Rangers and spelled the end of the Emile Francis era.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    I've always been a fan of this story. Shirali Muslimov - the 168 year old man.

Guy was probably lying out of his behind, but he did have a passport with the birthdate.
    I remember a TV commercial from years ago about a village in the Caucuses where all the men supposedly lived well into their 90s, and the commercial attributed it to their diet of yogurt.

It turns out that 60 years earlier, there was forced conscription into the Russian army for all males under age 30. Somehow every male in that village was 31 or older at the time. They even had the birth records to "prove" it!

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
    He was a North Star for 16 years (9 as player, 7 as coach) and 4 as an Islander. He also played two season for the Minneapolis Bruins prior to expansion. He was, and always will be, a North Star.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    Golden-era Cowboys defensive lineman Jethro Pugh.
    Kind of ironic in a way, with the Cowboys and Packers about to meet in an ice bowl type game again. It was Jerry Kramer's block of Pugh that got Starr into the endzone in the original Ice Bowl.

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied

Golden-era Cowboys defensive lineman Jethro Pugh.

Leave a comment:

• goldy_331
    replied

Parise was one of the Islanders who just barely missed out on the cups. RIP, Uglier Dustin Hoffman.
    He was a North Star for 16 years (9 as player, 7 as coach) and 4 as an Islander. He also played two season for the Minneapolis Bruins prior to expansion. He was, and always will be, a North Star.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Parise was one of the Islanders who just barely missed out on the cups. RIP, Uglier Dustin Hoffman.

Leave a comment:

• goldy_331
    replied

North Star hero J.P. Parise, 73.
    fyp

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/287918141.html

Leave a comment:

• Spartanforlife4
    replied

Confirmation is part of the problem, since trustworthy record-keeping for anybody but a royal is less than 150 years old.

The other question is are we really moving the upper limit or are we just cramming more and more people into the race, both at the birth end and at each subsequent age due to improvements in medicine?

And eventually there's going to be a definitional issue.
    I've always been a fan of this story. Shirali Muslimov - the 168 year old man.

Guy was probably lying out of his behind, but he did have a passport with the birthdate.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    According to the actuarial tables I'm already dead.
    Call AMC. They'll put you in a mini series.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X