This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: He's dead, Jim.

This is one messed-up thread. That stated, I've come 'round each of the last three days for the latest.

D&mn you guys.....
    Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      IHe was scheduled to play with Edgar in Rockland Me. in a few weeks, I was psyched to see him play again, One of my favorites.
      He was scheduled to play here locally in December at the Tupelo Music Hall, a very small venue. He had played there a couple of times over the past few years. I received an email announcing the show the day before he died.

The first time i saw him was years ago in Boston when he toured with Muddy Waters and James Cotton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcG4rNrbKQM

RIP Johnny

Comment

Thanks to an older brother, I've been a fan of Johnny and Edgar for nearly 35 years. Can't forget Robin Trower either.

Comment

Actor James Garner, 86.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Actor James Garner, 86.
            Sad news to wake up to. Rest in peace, Maverick.
            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Actor James Garner, 86.

Space Cowboys was a great movie.
              Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• Originally posted by jericho View Post
                Space Cowboys was a great movie.
                So were Support your local Sheriff/Gunfighter
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The Firebird goes in 2002; Pontiac is done in 2010.

" ... $200 a day, plus expenses ... "

We'll miss you, Rockford.
                  The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Actor James Garner, 86.
                    One of my faves--RIP
                    GO DU !!!

Comment

Maverick was a very clever show that occasionally parodied westerns. They did an episode entitled Pistol Puff, which was a send up of Gun Smoke. Younger posters may not remember the prevalence of western shows on TV in those days and how many of the series were produced by Warner Bros. for ABC.

http://thenostalgialeague.com/olmag/...-westerns.html

Garner got off one of my all time favorite speeches in The Americanization of Emily in response to priggish Julie Andrews' disapproval of Americans.

"You American haters bore me to tears, Ms. Barham. I've dealt with Europeans all my life. I know all about us parvenus from the States who come over here and race around your old Cathedral towns with our cameras and Coca-cola bottles... Brawl in your pubs, paw at your women, and act like we own the world. We over-tip, we talk too loud, we think we can buy anything with a Hershey bar. I've had Germans and Italians tell me how politically ingenuous we are, and perhaps so. But we haven't managed a Hitler or a Mussolini yet. I've had Frenchmen call me a savage because I only took half an hour for lunch. Hell, Ms. Barham, the only reason the French take two hours for lunch is because the service in their restaurants is lousy. The most tedious lot are you British. We crass Americans didn't introduce war into your little island. This war, Ms. Barham to which we Americans are so insensitive, is the result of 2,000 years of European greed, barbarism, superstition, and stupidity. Don't blame it on our Coca-cola bottles. Europe was a going brothel long before we came to town."

Garner was enormously underestimated as an actor. And left a remarkable body of work.
                      Last edited by Old Pio; 07-20-2014, 01:46 PM.
                      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Imdb.com has a good biography of James Garner.
                        He's been in more enjoyable movies than I remembered. I can picture him in the blue RAF uniform in The Great Escape , with Natalie Wood in Cash McCall , with Sally Field in Murphy's Romance, too many others to mention.
                        GO DU !!!

Comment

So were Support your local Sheriff/Gunfighter
                          Support Your Local Sheriff-almost too many good lines and bits of dialogue to just post one but one of my favorites-
                          Joe Danby: I hear you're gonna try and arrest me. You know you don't look near as tough as some of them other sheriffs we've had lately. Particularly that old boy that done run off about an hour and a half after he took the job.

Jason McCullough: Joe, you just make me feel tired all over when you talk like that.
                          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            Jason McCullough: Joe, you just make me feel tired all over when you talk like that.
                            Delivered in his perfect dead pan.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Bob May - UND coach that led the team to it's first national championship. Article on USCHO.
                              Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Bob Macnamara

Gopher football legend
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X