This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Tony Gwynn. I can't find a linked story but it's all over Twitter. He just signed an extension 4 days ago to stay on as SDSU's baseball coach.
    Hope he can keep that program headed in the right direction.

Comment

• Re: He's dead, Jim.

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Wait, what?!
      Pitchers hated facing Gwynn, were always in an almost state of awe when talking about him for an upcoming series.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Career against HOF pitchers:
        PA AB H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS SH SF IBB HBP GDP
        379 349 113 18 2 2 29 24 17 0.324 0.361 0.404 0.765 4 2 8 0 8
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
          Dan Patrick Show and NBC Sports have said that the Padres media relations confirmed.
          Originally posted by Jack Layton's last words to Canada
          My friends, hope is better than anger, love is better than fear, optimism is better than despair. So let us be Hopeful, Loving, and Optimistic, and we'll change the world.

Comment

I've never had heroes or idols, just people I liked. Tony was certainly in that class. Such a shame, the world deserved more years with him.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Some stories are coming out about what a special person he was. Juan Pierre tweeted that as a younger player, Gwynn waited around for 40 minutes after a game had ended to talk to him about hitting. That may be why Pierre had a career in baseball. I wonder how many more people he helped along the way.

Comment

One of Ted Williams' alltime favorites.That speaks volumes of the man's talent
                We're not here for a long time,we're here for a good time.

Comment

Carole King's ex and songwriting partner Gerry Goffin. Their list of songs is amazing.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/arts/story/1.2681399

Goffin married King in 1959 while they were in their teens. He penned more than 50 top 40 hits, including Pleasant Valley Sunday for the Monkees, Crying in the Rain by the Everly Brothers, Take Good Care of My Baby by Bobby Vee and You've Got a Friend by James Taylor.
                  Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

On this day in 1953 atomic spies Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were put to death in the electric chair at Sing Sing. Still guilty as charged all these years later. Good riddance.

http://www.realclearhistory.com/2014..._all_2652.html
                    Last edited by Old Pio; 06-19-2014, 07:29 PM.
                    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                      On this day in 1953 atomic spies Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were put to death in the electric chair at Sing Sing. Still guilty as charged all these years later. Good riddance.

http://www.realclearhistory.com/2014..._all_2652.html
                      Is spying for an ally treason?

No doubt they were paid by the Soviets, but treason means aiding and abetting your enemies in times of war. The Soviet Union was our "friend" when the Rosenbergs spied. They were not our allies when the trial (amid the Red Scare) took place.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Is spying for an ally treason?

No doubt they were paid by the Soviets, but treason means aiding and abetting your enemies in times of war. The Soviet Union was our "friend" when the Rosenbergs spied. They were not our allies when the trial (amid the Red Scare) took place.
                        I dunno. Let's dig 'em up and ask. Or was that a rhetorical question? They richly deserved what they got.
                        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                          I dunno. Let's dig 'em up and ask. Or was that a rhetorical question? They richly deserved what they got.
                          Did you read "The Implosion Conspiracy"? Details the whole trial and execution.

The authors conclusion was guilty as charged, but execution was, if you pardon the expression, overkill.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

It matters naught whether the Soviets were 'frenemies' or enemies when the Rosenbergs and their ilk handed over US nuclear secrets as casually as if they were a blue ribbon apple pie recipe. That was classified information that they had no right to divulge to any foreign government.

I get the drift that you're objecting not to their conviction, but to the federal government's use of capital punishment. I suppose that is another debate entirely, though we all know what OP's position will be - Ol' Sparky was too kind, and their bodies should've been shipped to the Soviet Union to be buried underneath the Kremlin.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              It matters naught whether the Soviets were 'frenemies' or enemies when the Rosenbergs and their ilk handed over US nuclear secrets as casually as if they were a blue ribbon apple pie recipe. That was classified information that they had no right to divulge to any foreign government.

I get the drift that you're objecting not to their conviction, but to the federal government's use of capital punishment. I suppose that is another debate entirely, though we all know what OP's position will be - Ol' Sparky was too kind, and their bodies should've been shipped to the Soviet Union to be buried underneath the Kremlin.
                              I'm with OP on that one.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Absolutely true. But it wasn't treason, as defined by the Constitution.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X