Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MLB 2014: I paid the $20 mil posting fee for the right to start this thread

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    Pineda ejected for foreign substance on neck.
    This is the dude who had what looked like Pine Tar on his hand the last time he faced Boston.
    How dumb can this guy be?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdjgdb-OxY8

"What's that **it on your chest?

Crisco. Bardol. Vagisil."
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Re: MLB 2014: I paid the $20 mil posting fee for the right to start this thread

Kinda dumb to put it in such a camera friendly location where the opponent can easily detect it.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by jmh View Post
        This is kind of moot because the Giants are playing the Indians on Friday, not the Reds, though.
        Really?? How did I read the schedule so wrong? I'm going to go to batting practice. The Olympian who I'm working with Friday is a Giants fan and she may be throwing out the first pitch. Could be a fun night. I'm wearing my Red Sox Workd Series Champions t-shirt under my jacket. Because I can.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
          Kinda dumb to put it in such a camera friendly location where the opponent can easily detect it.
          Apparently Ortiz was watching in the clubhouse and told Farrell. Farrell was quoted several times saying "You'd hope that if he does it, he'd be more subtle about it" all but admitting that everybody does it, they're just not quite so obvious.

Comment

So I'm here at AT&T Park sitting in the Giants dugout because it's chilly and the bench is heated.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              So I'm here at AT&T Park sitting in the Giants dugout because it's chilly and the bench is heated.
              Find any used syringes behind the bench
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Buccos need to schedule the cubs in the WORST way right about now
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

3 doubleheader tomorrow. :O
                  PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                  Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                  NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                    3 doubleheader tomorrow. :O
                    I've wondered for the past few years if MLB could shave a couple of weeks off the season by playing day/night doubleheaders on Saturday during the summer (June, July, August) months.

Back in the dark ages of 300 inning pitchers and complete games, almost every Sunday was a twin bill.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

My now annual gripe about the national TV schedules is renewed...

How many of the "national" telecasts so far have been of games featuring either the Yankees, the Red Sox, or in the case of last weekend both? In the month of April I watched fewer MLB games than at any time in my memory. Unless it involves one of the two teams I root for or one of the one or two starting pitchers I really like to watch (Verlander being one of those) I will not watch a game with either the Yankees or Red Sox. And yes I realize the supposed reasoning behind the programming choices, but MLB has effectively given up on fans like me, who like the game and will watch anyone play it, in favor of giving the impression that there are no fans of any other team out there.

The marquee teams will take center stage in the television programming choices of all the leagues, but at least the NBA and NHL mix it up a little bit. Dear God am I looking forward to the time when those two frigging teams are an afterthought come October.

Before ESPN created the myth of "Red Sox nation" or hyped a rivalry that registered with zero baseball fans I knew before about 1997, I knew no Red Sox fans other than my Connecticut born uncle and one Yankees fan, old guy in my neighborhood (long since dead) who was a nephew of Miller Huggins, one of Babe Ruth's Yankee managers. The idea that every baseball fan out there not rooting for their hometown team is a fan of either of those two teams is simply untrue.

If there are one more fan of either of those two teams, MLB acts as if that means there are NO fans of the other teams. Stupid and it will come back to bite them at some point since they have abandoned the fan of the sport in general.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        I've wondered for the past few years if MLB could shave a couple of weeks off the season by playing day/night doubleheaders on Saturday during the summer (June, July, August) months.

Back in the dark ages of 300 inning pitchers and complete games, almost every Sunday was a twin bill.
                        I believe the holiday (Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day) double-headers even held on for a little while. And of course when you do see the double dip nowadays, it is almost always the wonderful day/night kind (two separate admissions) instead of the traditional twi-nighter (one ticket, two games).

Get of my lawn, ya whippersnappers...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                          I believe the holiday (Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day) double-headers even held on for a little while. And of course when you do see the double dip nowadays, it is almost always the wonderful day/night kind (two separate admissions) instead of the traditional twi-nighter (one ticket, two games).

Get of my lawn, ya whippersnappers...!!!
                          I believe there has only been one scheduled traditional doubleheader (i.e. not the result of rainout) where one ticket gets you into two games in the last 10 years (Angels and A's about 3-4 years ago).
                          North Dakota
                          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                            I believe there has only been one scheduled traditional doubleheader (i.e. not the result of rainout) where one ticket gets you into two games in the last 10 years (Angels and A's about 3-4 years ago).
                            You are correct and wasn't that done because of a conflict with the venue that necessitated the scheduling quirk?

I recall the days when the Reds sold tickets called "Top Six" where you got a seat in the last few rows of the upper deck at old Riverfront Stadium (the Red seats) for $5. Saw a double header there in those seats in 1987, a cousin of mine and I went just because we could see two games for $5. In fact it was the day after the 4 OT game 7 between the Isles and the Caps. Game ended at about 2 a.m and I got in the car and drove the three hours from my cousin's place in Indiana to Cincy a few hours later.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                              You are correct and wasn't that done because of a conflict with the venue that necessitated the scheduling quirk?

I recall the days when the Reds sold tickets called "Top Six" where you got a seat in the last few rows of the upper deck at old Riverfront Stadium (the Red seats) for $5. Saw a double header there in those seats in 1987, a cousin of mine and I went just because we could see two games for $5. In fact it was the day after the 4 OT game 7 between the Isles and the Caps. Game ended at about 2 a.m and I got in the car and drove the three hours from my cousin's place in Indiana to Cincy a few hours later.
                              That sounds right, although I don't remember the exact reason.

There are a lot of things about baseball that have somewhat gone by the wayside. My favorite memory as a kid was listening to games on a transistor radio while playing catch with my dad in the backyard. I don't remember the last time I saw two people playing catch that weren't getting ready for a game, and I can count on one hand how many times my transistor radio has been used in the last decade.
                              North Dakota
                              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                                My now annual gripe about the national TV schedules is renewed...

How many of the "national" telecasts so far have been of games featuring either the Yankees, the Red Sox, or in the case of last weekend both? In the month of April I watched fewer MLB games than at any time in my memory. Unless it involves one of the two teams I root for or one of the one or two starting pitchers I really like to watch (Verlander being one of those) I will not watch a game with either the Yankees or Red Sox. And yes I realize the supposed reasoning behind the programming choices, but MLB has effectively given up on fans like me, who like the game and will watch anyone play it, in favor of giving the impression that there are no fans of any other team out there.

The marquee teams will take center stage in the television programming choices of all the leagues, but at least the NBA and NHL mix it up a little bit. Dear God am I looking forward to the time when those two frigging teams are an afterthought come October.

Before ESPN created the myth of "Red Sox nation" or hyped a rivalry that registered with zero baseball fans I knew before about 1997, I knew no Red Sox fans other than my Connecticut born uncle and one Yankees fan, old guy in my neighborhood (long since dead) who was a nephew of Miller Huggins, one of Babe Ruth's Yankee managers. The idea that every baseball fan out there not rooting for their hometown team is a fan of either of those two teams is simply untrue.

If there are one more fan of either of those two teams, MLB acts as if that means there are NO fans of the other teams. Stupid and it will come back to bite them at some point since they have abandoned the fan of the sport in general.
                                If they didn't get ratings, ESPN wouldn't keep broadcasting them. They aren't in business to throw away money. Those of us in the market don't like it when Fox and ESPN come in and take weekend games away because that precludes NESN from airing it. Most Boston fans would rather have Orsillo (and Yankee fans would rather have Kay) than whoever ESPN has in the booth now.

Comment

Working...
                                X