Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MLB 2014: I paid the $20 mil posting fee for the right to start this thread

question I've been pondering lately... 10 players you wish you could have seen.

Mays with the NY Giants
    Mantle in '51 before he hurt his knee
    Gehrig in his prime
    Clemente in his prime
    Koufax in LA
    Josh Gibson in his prime
    Ray Dandridge
    young Aaron in 1957
    Jackie Robinson in the early years in Brooklyn
    Satchel Paige

I would've said 5, but I had a hard enough time narrowing it to 10.

Comment

• Re: MLB 2014: I paid the $20 mil posting fee for the right to start this thread

Ruth
      Rose
      Koufax
      Killebrew
      Mantle

Bob Gibson
      Cy Young
      Cobb
      Mays
      Paige
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

In their primes:

Koufax
        Mays
        Ruth
        Cobb
        Ford
        Paige
        Foxx
        Clemente
        Musial
        Ted Williams

Team I would have liked to have seen: The early to mid 50's Yankees teams, when they were really rolling, with a young Mantle and Whitey Ford, plus Yogi in his prime.

Stadiums I would have liked to have seen: Ebbets Field and the Polo Grounds (duh).
        Last edited by Hammer; 01-03-2015, 01:25 PM.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Ernie Banks
          Bob Gibson
          Ruth
          Mays
          Mantle
          Ted Williams
          Sandy Koufax
          Cy Young
          Warren Spahn
          DiMaggio

Comment

Carew (yes I'm old enough to have seen him, but was too young to really appreciate the brilliance of his prime)
            Mays
            Cobb
            The Mick
            Shoeless Joe
            Gibson
            Robinson, Brooks
            Robinson, Jackie
            Koufax
            Ruth

Thus was hard, a lot of amazing players bit named there.

Comment

Some good picks. I really have no desire to see Babe Ruth. If I'd been around then, I don't think I would've been a fan. He's one guy I avoid when looking at baseball books (and there are TONS of books about him). Gehrig is more my style.

Joe Jackson and Bob Gibson would be in my next 5.

Hammer: No Kaline or Greenberg? Everyone seems to have a homer pick (although you did say Cobb).

Comment

My choices

DiMaggio
                The summer of 1941
                Babe Ruth
                Walter Johnson
                Christy Mathewson
                Jackie Robinson
                Gibson
                Cool Papa Bell
                Brooks Robinson
                Frank Robinson
                Twitter: DanMountSports
                2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Satchell
                  Cy
                  Honus (just b/c the sports card geek in me)
                  Rickey (was old enough to see him, but not old enough to fully appreciate the stolen base factor. That record won't be broken)
                  Walter J
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by jen View Post
                    Some good picks. I really have no desire to see Babe Ruth. If I'd been around then, I don't think I would've been a fan. He's one guy I avoid when looking at baseball books (and there are TONS of books about him). Gehrig is more my style.

Joe Jackson and Bob Gibson would be in my next 5.

Hammer: No Kaline or Greenberg? Everyone seems to have a homer pick (although you did say Cobb).
                    I waffled on Greenberg. I've seen parts of the '68 Series, the '71 All Star Game, and parts of the '72 ALCS (even though Kaline was past his prime by then). I'm good with Kaline. I'd rather see Whitey or Yogi, circa early to mid 50's. I don't think people still realize just how good Yogi was.

One name I can't believe I missed: Gehringer.
                    Last edited by Hammer; 01-05-2015, 08:27 AM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

And Jen, you must admit, it would have been a blast to go out drinking with Ruth for one night. Although very few of us would make it back in one piece.

God, that was fun...

Comment

I'm tempted to pick 10 Sandy Koufax games instead of ten players. I'd start with game 7 of the 1965 WS.

Koufax
                        Micky Mantle
                        A young Henry Aaron
                        A young Willie Mays
                        Rogers Hornsby
                        Ty Cobb
                        Bob Feller
                        Ted Williams
                        Duke Snider (want to know for myself how close he was to Mays and Mantle in his prime)
                        Hack Wilson in 1930 (how the heck do you drive in 191 runs on one season?)

... and like Jen had a hard time with 10. Ask again in a year and 9 names would be different. (always will want to have seen Koufax pitch)

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          Rickey (was old enough to see him, but not old enough to fully appreciate the stolen base factor. That record won't be broken)
                          130 SB has got to be one of those records never to be broken. His total for that one season is almost as much as either league leader the last three seasons combined (154/NL-157/AL).

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                            question I've been pondering lately... 10 players you wish you could have seen.

Mays with the NY Giants
                            Mantle in '51 before he hurt his knee
                            Gehrig in his prime
                            Clemente in his prime
                            Koufax in LA
                            Josh Gibson in his prime
                            Ray Dandridge
                            young Aaron in 1957
                            Jackie Robinson in the early years in Brooklyn
                            Satchel Paige

I would've said 5, but I had a hard enough time narrowing it to 10.
                            A good list.

Not to nitpick, but Mantle in '51 (his rookie season) before his serious knee injury in the Series was fairly average. .267 batting average. 13 homers. 65 rbi in 96 games. http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...mi01-bat.shtml
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              ...Phillies $185,965,235...
                              All that for 73 wins, last place and a half-full park most nights... Well what should I expect living in a country where the government will pay $1000 for a toilet or $500 for a screwdriver...

Comment

Ok I'll jump in. It's assumed I want to see them when they were their best.

Any of the 60s Twins stars like Killabrew.
                                S. Koufax
                                J. Bench
                                L. Gehrig
                                W. Mays
                                S. Musical
                                J. Robinson
                                B. Gibson
                                T. Williams
                                T. Seaver
                                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                                X