This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXV - the run up to the World Cup

On a different subject, in the CONCACAF Champions League, two teams from Mexico were eliminated in the group stage: Leon and Cruz Azul. The same Cruz Azul who won it last time out.

Portland got eliminated, mostly because Portland sucks. New York got eliminated because they didn't care. Montreal moved on despite being a Wooden Spoon contender. DC moved on. SKC has a game at Saprissa tomorrow. Other teams moving on: Club America, Pachuca, Alajuelense and Herdiano from Costa Rica (extending their WC run on the club level), and Olimpia from Honduras.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      If "getting exposed to much better competition" was something that actually helped I'd agree. But if that was true, England would have some of the most dominant players and national team in the world. Japan, Korea, and Australia are fairly good examples of this, they have players playing all across Europe and yet their NT's and players are not tangibly better than Americans. Look at Mexico, their squad, with some exceptions, is almost all domestic based and they have been consistently a top 16 team in the world.
      Well to to quibble, but you know the US team is as good as Mexico.Though I do get your point.
      The idea here is to be top 5 or 6. You know with enough talent to be competitive with Belgium the next time.
      We have to find ways to develop these players better and for sure playing in MLS is not it. You just can't get better unless you play against better players. Yes playing is better than not playing, but still I disagree that mls provides the vehicle for our best players to get better.

If we did find a top talent, someone who could develop into a Suarez for instance, it would be a terrible mistake to play him in MLS if you ask me. The whole model of development in Europe is so different, until we copy it, or until we come up with a superior method, we are as good as we are going to be.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Young Boys beat an Italian team. Insert your best Catholic jokes here.
        Twitter: DanMountSports
        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

• Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
          Surprised we haven't gotten comments on Jermaine Jones to the Revs. Don't get me wrong as I like the MLS, but the only way the national team gets better is if our good players try to make a go out of it Europe. I'm not a Euro hipster, but I know we've got to test ourselves vs. the best of the best.
          Considering age, he has only a very outside chance at 2016. If this slim chance involves a positional shift, then a switch to an MLS team amenable to using him in the new position actually probably was his best bet. Watch, he'll be a centerback for the Revs in 2015.
          BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS
          CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY SPARTANS

UNH - 1985 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Champions!

2003-2004 D-III Tournament of Posters Champion
          2010 NFL Survival Pool Champion
          2014 NFL Survival Pool Co-Champion

Comment

Now this is a tasty goal.

http://www.thescore.com/news/611749
            Twitter: DanMountSports
            2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Even after the slow mo replay I'm not sure what I just saw.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                On a different subject, in the CONCACAF Champions League, two teams from Mexico were eliminated in the group stage: Leon and Cruz Azul. The same Cruz Azul who won it last time out.

Portland got eliminated, mostly because Portland sucks. New York got eliminated because they didn't care. Montreal moved on despite being a Wooden Spoon contender. DC moved on. SKC has a game at Saprissa tomorrow. Other teams moving on: Club America, Pachuca, Alajuelense and Herdiano from Costa Rica (extending their WC run on the club level), and Olimpia from Honduras.
                Annnnnnnnnd SKC *s the bed losing at Saprissa 2-0 and getting eliminated. Costa Rica gets 3 teams into the CCL Quarterfinals. Mexico 2, USA 1, Canada 1, Costa Rica 3! (Honduras got the other one)

Time will tell if this is a fluke or not but, Costa Rica has drastically improved.
                I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Admittedly I am being harsh on SKC. Saprissa is a difficult place to play and the CCL is like CONCACAF WC Qualifying just squared and cubed, terrible officiating, crappy fields, intimidating stadiums etc. Some teams have found ways to manage through it (DC, RSL, Seattle) and some haven't.
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett View Post
                    Considering age, he has only a very outside chance at 2016. If this slim chance involves a positional shift, then a switch to an MLS team amenable to using him in the new position actually probably was his best bet. Watch, he'll be a centerback for the Revs in 2015.
                    I assume you meant 2018 World Cup?

His attitude and work ethic will be invaluable in helping us qualify for Confederations Cup in 2016, and for setting a fine example to the younger players on what Klinsmann wants to see from everyone involved.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

"Tempest in a teapot" folks,

Gulati said he has met with, and spoken to, Garber and discussed the matter with Klinsmann. All three will gather for previously scheduled meetings in the coming weeks. “We will get back to the job at hand, which is continuing to grow MLS, continuing to improve the national team, and the broader goal, which does both of those things,” Gulati said.

Gulati did not believe Klinsmann’s initial comments were, as Garber complained, detrimental to the league and growth of the sport.

“I don’t think there is anything wrong with discussion, dialogue and disagreement,” he said. “Most of that is better handled in a private way. Having these sorts of discussions are fine, but we need to have the tone of all of this brought down a little bit.”

“Some things could have been phrased differently because the actual opinions of the two guys – and me and the leadership at MLS and U.S. Soccer – is actually closely aligned with where we see the game going.”
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                        I assume you meant 2018 World Cup?

His attitude and work ethic will be invaluable in helping us qualify for Confederations Cup in 2016, and for setting a fine example to the younger players on what Klinsmann wants to see from everyone involved.
                        Yeah, 2018. I must have Euro qualifying on the brain.

Confederations Cup is great, but assuring qualification shouldn't be at the expense of development. It would be better to fail to advance in or qualify for intermediate tournaments with players we expect to be ready for 2018, than to perform slightly better with players whose windows will close by 2018.

Comment

• That said, I like the idea of using Jones as the stopper-style centerback going forward (as both a US and Revs fan).

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            Annnnnnnnnd SKC *s the bed losing at Saprissa 2-0 and getting eliminated. Costa Rica gets 3 teams into the CCL Quarterfinals. Mexico 2, USA 1, Canada 1, Costa Rica 3! (Honduras got the other one)

Time will tell if this is a fluke or not but, Costa Rica has drastically improved.
                            last time i checked the standings we were looking really good... what the heck happened?
                            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                            Skating Friar Jersey
                            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by Patman View Post
                              last time i checked the standings we were looking really good... what the heck happened?
                              Portland lost and SKC lost. Good news is that DC United got the top seed and will have the second legs at home. I like DC's chances as well. They look to be able to keep the core of their team and be able to improve it, the have a coaching staff with experience of these games, and the second legs are at home.
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Oh, Seattle v LA, NBC 2:30 ET, Supporters Shield. Should be fun.
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X