This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    He's yet to score for LA this season and looks out of shape. He also got pulled off the starting lineup in the friendly versus Mexico.
    *cough*

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      *cough*
      *shrug*

At the time it was true.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: World Soccer XXV - the run up to the World Cup

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        *shrug*

At the time it was true.
        and one inspired performance doesn't mean he's up for the travel and time frame of the World Cup in Brazil.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          and one inspired performance doesn't mean he's up for the travel and time frame of the World Cup in Brazil.
          Or that he's better fit than one of the players on the squad.
          I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Or that he's better fit than one of the players on the squad.
            I thought this was a great read on Donovan's omission, granted it was also written before Donovan's drought ended, but still...
            http://insider.espn.go.com/espnfc/ne...830385?cc=5901

EDIT: For those of you without Insider:
            The exclusion of Landon Donovan from U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann's 23-man World Cup roster Thursday sent shock waves across the U.S. and around the world. Donovan, the USMNT's all-time leading scorer and assist leader, was expected by most to not only be in Brazil, but to play a major role in what would have been his fourth World Cup.

Instead, Donovan has transitioned from primary attacking option and U.S. team leader to roster casualty within a four-year span, and in his place is, in large part, a group of hungry yet internationally unproven players.

Now that the 13-time MLS All-Star won't be suiting up for the Americans, who will fill his role on the team? Are they a better roster fit than Donovan at this stage of his career? Moreover, will he be missed in Brazil? Not especially.

The current version of Donovan was trapped between two possible positions, attacking midfielder and supporting forward, on Klinsmann's 30-man roster. And based on the roles that Donovan likely could have filled in Brazil, along with the depth of the final roster, it appears the United States will not suffer a significant on-field loss without the 32-year-old, who admittedly was struggling to get in shape and find his form.

Here's a closer look at both positions and their outlook sans Donovan.

Attacking midfielder

Although the preliminary roster indicated Donovan would be evaluated as a forward in camp, he has often played an attacking midfield role for Team USA during his tenure. Specifically in the 2010 World Cup, Donovan spent most of his time in an established role creating problems for opponents down the right side. This is a role that Donovan could have potentially reprised given his positioning through 2014 World Cup qualifying, as he demonstrated an ability to play on either the left or right side of the field.

ESPN Stats & Information
            Heat map of Landon Donovan's touches during 2010 World Cup, left, and those from 2014 World Cup qualifying play, right.
            With Donovan out of the picture, these attacking roles are now in the hands of players like Alejandro Bedoya, Brad Davis and Graham Zusi, as the U.S. attempts to advance out of a stacked Group G.

Bedoya has not been seen by the public as much as other members of the U.S. team, but his Ligue 1 experience as an attacking midfielder with Nantes this season illustrated that he is an impact player who can carve out a significant role on the U.S. roster. Bedoya started 23 games in Ligue 1 throughout 2013-14, and ranked third on the team with five goals as he assisted in pulling the newly promoted club to a 13th-place finish in France's top flight. The midfielder also ranked fourth on the team with 18 completed attacking-half passes per 90 minutes, and while playing primarily on the right side he was able to create a chance in each of his three World Cup qualifying appearances for the U.S.. His inclusion gives the U.S a creative playmaker who can spark the attack.

Another player aiming to fill Donovan's role as an attacking midfielder is Davis, who ranked second on the U.S. with 3.0 take-ons per 90 minutes throughout World Cup qualifying (minimum four appearances), while providing two assists from crosses throughout the qualifying campaign. Davis has also been responsible for leading the Houston Dynamo attack, and the midfielder currently ranks eighth in MLS with 24 total chances created in the 2014 season. While it's tough to argue his inclusion on the roster over Donovan, Davis gives the U.S. a veteran, in-form winger who can put in accurate crosses and help manufacture the attack.

The most decorated player of this group is Sporting KC midfielder Zusi, who was one of just three U.S. players to feature in nine (or more) of the 10 hexagonal World Cup qualifying games. Zusi ranked third on the U.S. with 22.1 completed passes in the attacking half throughout World Cup qualifying, and similar to Davis, the KC All-Star's 27 chances created are a sign that Zusi can take responsibility for leading his club's attack. Zusi's ability to score goals and serve as a two-way player will be a valuable asset in Brazil.

Of course, none of these names measure up in recognition to the reputation that Donovan has earned, however, both Davis and Zusi currently rank in the top 10 of MLS players in chances created so far this season, and on the left side Davis in particular has created four more total chances this season despite playing fewer minutes than Donovan. Both Davis and Zusi are also tied for second in MLS with 15 chances created from crosses -- an added plus when applying for a wide position -- while Donovan has created just eight chances from crosses so far. Granted, Donovan plays as a striker for the Los Angeles Galaxy and thus is not in a position to cross the ball as often, but given that he has lost a step and has declined in take-ons per 90 minutes this season, a superior crossing rate would have been nice to fit either of the wide roles in Klinsmann's lineup.

Meanwhile, the five goals Bedoya recorded for Nantes trump the recent scoring slump that Donovan is in with the Galaxy, and given Klinsmann's open preference toward players getting regular playing time at the highest level possible -- and those who are in form -- there is potential for Bedoya to provide even more cover for Donovan's absence in the attack.

Supporting forward

Given that Donovan was unlikely to be considered a lone striker in the 4-2-3-1 formation that Klinsmann used throughout qualifying, in hindsight perhaps more flags should have been raised about Donovan's label as a forward on the 30-man roster. And although Klinsmann has shown a willingness to play with two strikers, as he did in the recent friendly against Mexico, Donovan's benching in that game provided further clues about his future exclusion from the team.

Meanwhile, Sunderland striker Jozy Altidore maintains his status at the top of the depth chart if Klinsmann chooses to play a 4-2-3-1 formation. Despite just one goal in 31 appearances for his club, the striker scored four goals throughout World Cup qualifying and appears to be a more confident player when surrounded by the camaraderie of the U.S. team.

U.S. captain Clint Dempsey led the team in World Cup qualifying with five goals, and his eight goals in nine domestic appearances with the Seattle Sounders currently ranks second across MLS. Just as important is the fact that Dempsey also led Team USA through World Cup qualifying with 2.7 take-ons per 90 minutes (minimum five appearances) and shot attempts, as the team will need players in the attack who can create opportunities from individual play.

San Jose Earthquakes striker Chris Wondolowski gained momentum with the U.S. over the past year, and given that Klinsmann prematurely chose his 23-man roster ahead of the June 2 deadline, the five goals Wondolowski scored before leaving the for pre-World Cup camp likely helped secure a roster spot. Wondolowski appears to be a more efficient striker, putting 47 percent of his shots on target so far this season compared to just 41 percent in the 2013 MLS campaign, and his 13 shots on target from inside the penalty area (second most in MLS) suggest that there is some real value to having him on the team.

Finally, AZ Alkmaar striker Aron Johannsson ranked third in the Dutch Eredivisie in the 2013-14 season with 17 goals, and given his moderate-to-strong performances so far with the U.S., it is not surprising to see him included. While it appears that Johannsson has fallen out of favor as a potential lone striker in a 4-2-3-1 formation, the 23-year-old appears to be versatile enough to also play as a second striker, or even potentially out wide under the right circumstances.

Compared with these players, the fact that Donovan is yet to score in seven MLS appearances with the Galaxy this season begins to stand out. Unfortunately, Donovan is not an ideal fit for a lone striker in a 4-2-3-1 -- which immediately makes an equally slumping Altidore a more versatile choice -- while he is also yet to score in a dual-striker formation with his club.

Impact substitute, outlook

There was of course the potential of Donovan at least being an impact substitute for the U.S., but given his current level, it is completely conceivable that Donovan's reduced overall impact is not enough to overcome the upside Klinsmann sees from players like Fabian Johnson, Mix Diskerud and even Julian Green.

This is not to say that Klinsmann necessarily made the right decision in leaving Donovan off the 23-man roster, but it is definitively saying that the team will not suffer a significant loss without Donovan's services this summer.

Donovan's absence provides opportunities for new players to step up, along with an opportunity for the United States to forge a new identity without arguably the most iconic figure in its history.
            Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 05-27-2014, 01:23 PM.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              So Mix Diskerud will wear the fabled #10 jersey for USA in Brazil...that seems crazy to me.

Ives reporting a likely lineup for tonights friendly is
              -----------------Altidore----------------
              Bedoya--------Dempsey----------Zusi
              -------Jones-------------Bradley-------
              Beasley--Besler--Cameron--Johnson
              -----------------Howard----------------

Thoughts?
              I don't read as much into squad numbers as English TV commentators seem to, but I guess Mix getting that number means he'll play a fair amount?

I don't love Beasley as left back nearly as much as Klinsi seems to (nor am I as enamored of Beckerman as he is). What I'd like to see given the squad picked:

Dempsey--------Diskerud----------Zusi
              Johnson--Besler--Gonzalez--Chandler
              Cornell University Men's Hockey
              NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                I don't read as much into squad numbers as English TV commentators seem to, but I guess Mix getting that number means he'll play a fair amount?

I don't love Beasley as left back nearly as much as Klinsi seems to (nor am I as enamored of Beckerman as he is). What I'd like to see given the squad picked:

Dempsey--------Diskerud----------Zusi
                Johnson--Besler--Gonzalez--Chandler
                You don't like Cameron either? I think Johnson/Chandler as wing backs is quite possible and I think as far as starting goes, Bedoya/Dempsey/Zusi is preferrable to Dempsey/Diskerud/Zusi

Comment

You don't like Cameron either? I think Johnson/Chandler as wing backs is quite possible and I think as far as starting goes, Bedoya/Dempsey/Zusi is preferrable to Dempsey/Diskerud/Zusi
                  I don't dislike Cameron, I just like Gonzalez more. (Whereas I absolutely cannot stand Beckerman.)
                  ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                  Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

I don't dislike Cameron, I just like Gonzalez more. (Whereas I absolutely cannot stand Beckerman.)
                    The only redeeming quality of beckerman is his defense, which can allow Bradley to make more offensive runs and know that Beckerman is back there to cover.
                    Gonzalez seems to be step behind Cameron right now because of injury.

Comment

The only redeeming quality of beckerman is his defense, which can allow Bradley to make more offensive runs and know that Beckerman is back there to cover.
                      Gonzalez seems to be step behind Cameron right now because of injury.
                      Sure, I know what the rationale is, I just can't for the life of me understand why you'd pick him over Edu for the same role.

Comment

Sure, I know what the rationale is, I just can't for the life of me understand why you'd pick him over Edu for the same role.
                        The hair?

Comment

• Originally posted by jmh View Post
                          Leadership. He runs RSL on the field, the attack goes through him, and he's good defensively. He's an impact player, if you watch RSL without him they have trouble.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            I thought this was a great read on Donovan's omission, granted it was also written before Donovan's drought ended, but still...
                            http://insider.espn.go.com/espnfc/ne...830385?cc=5901

EDIT: For those of you without Insider:
                            The exclusion of Landon Donovan from U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann's 23-man World Cup roster Thursday sent shock waves across the U.S. and around the world. Donovan, the USMNT's all-time leading scorer and assist leader, was expected by most to not only be in Brazil, but to play a major role in what would have been his fourth World Cup.

Instead, Donovan has transitioned from primary attacking option and U.S. team leader to roster casualty within a four-year span, and in his place is, in large part, a group of hungry yet internationally unproven players.

Now that the 13-time MLS All-Star won't be suiting up for the Americans, who will fill his role on the team? Are they a better roster fit than Donovan at this stage of his career? Moreover, will he be missed in Brazil? Not especially.

The current version of Donovan was trapped between two possible positions, attacking midfielder and supporting forward, on Klinsmann's 30-man roster. And based on the roles that Donovan likely could have filled in Brazil, along with the depth of the final roster, it appears the United States will not suffer a significant on-field loss without the 32-year-old, who admittedly was struggling to get in shape and find his form.

Here's a closer look at both positions and their outlook sans Donovan.

Attacking midfielder

Although the preliminary roster indicated Donovan would be evaluated as a forward in camp, he has often played an attacking midfield role for Team USA during his tenure. Specifically in the 2010 World Cup, Donovan spent most of his time in an established role creating problems for opponents down the right side. This is a role that Donovan could have potentially reprised given his positioning through 2014 World Cup qualifying, as he demonstrated an ability to play on either the left or right side of the field.

ESPN Stats & Information
                            Heat map of Landon Donovan's touches during 2010 World Cup, left, and those from 2014 World Cup qualifying play, right.
                            With Donovan out of the picture, these attacking roles are now in the hands of players like Alejandro Bedoya, Brad Davis and Graham Zusi, as the U.S. attempts to advance out of a stacked Group G.

Bedoya has not been seen by the public as much as other members of the U.S. team, but his Ligue 1 experience as an attacking midfielder with Nantes this season illustrated that he is an impact player who can carve out a significant role on the U.S. roster. Bedoya started 23 games in Ligue 1 throughout 2013-14, and ranked third on the team with five goals as he assisted in pulling the newly promoted club to a 13th-place finish in France's top flight. The midfielder also ranked fourth on the team with 18 completed attacking-half passes per 90 minutes, and while playing primarily on the right side he was able to create a chance in each of his three World Cup qualifying appearances for the U.S.. His inclusion gives the U.S a creative playmaker who can spark the attack.

Another player aiming to fill Donovan's role as an attacking midfielder is Davis, who ranked second on the U.S. with 3.0 take-ons per 90 minutes throughout World Cup qualifying (minimum four appearances), while providing two assists from crosses throughout the qualifying campaign. Davis has also been responsible for leading the Houston Dynamo attack, and the midfielder currently ranks eighth in MLS with 24 total chances created in the 2014 season. While it's tough to argue his inclusion on the roster over Donovan, Davis gives the U.S. a veteran, in-form winger who can put in accurate crosses and help manufacture the attack.

The most decorated player of this group is Sporting KC midfielder Zusi, who was one of just three U.S. players to feature in nine (or more) of the 10 hexagonal World Cup qualifying games. Zusi ranked third on the U.S. with 22.1 completed passes in the attacking half throughout World Cup qualifying, and similar to Davis, the KC All-Star's 27 chances created are a sign that Zusi can take responsibility for leading his club's attack. Zusi's ability to score goals and serve as a two-way player will be a valuable asset in Brazil.

Of course, none of these names measure up in recognition to the reputation that Donovan has earned, however, both Davis and Zusi currently rank in the top 10 of MLS players in chances created so far this season, and on the left side Davis in particular has created four more total chances this season despite playing fewer minutes than Donovan. Both Davis and Zusi are also tied for second in MLS with 15 chances created from crosses -- an added plus when applying for a wide position -- while Donovan has created just eight chances from crosses so far. Granted, Donovan plays as a striker for the Los Angeles Galaxy and thus is not in a position to cross the ball as often, but given that he has lost a step and has declined in take-ons per 90 minutes this season, a superior crossing rate would have been nice to fit either of the wide roles in Klinsmann's lineup.

Meanwhile, the five goals Bedoya recorded for Nantes trump the recent scoring slump that Donovan is in with the Galaxy, and given Klinsmann's open preference toward players getting regular playing time at the highest level possible -- and those who are in form -- there is potential for Bedoya to provide even more cover for Donovan's absence in the attack.

Supporting forward

Given that Donovan was unlikely to be considered a lone striker in the 4-2-3-1 formation that Klinsmann used throughout qualifying, in hindsight perhaps more flags should have been raised about Donovan's label as a forward on the 30-man roster. And although Klinsmann has shown a willingness to play with two strikers, as he did in the recent friendly against Mexico, Donovan's benching in that game provided further clues about his future exclusion from the team.

Meanwhile, Sunderland striker Jozy Altidore maintains his status at the top of the depth chart if Klinsmann chooses to play a 4-2-3-1 formation. Despite just one goal in 31 appearances for his club, the striker scored four goals throughout World Cup qualifying and appears to be a more confident player when surrounded by the camaraderie of the U.S. team.

U.S. captain Clint Dempsey led the team in World Cup qualifying with five goals, and his eight goals in nine domestic appearances with the Seattle Sounders currently ranks second across MLS. Just as important is the fact that Dempsey also led Team USA through World Cup qualifying with 2.7 take-ons per 90 minutes (minimum five appearances) and shot attempts, as the team will need players in the attack who can create opportunities from individual play.

San Jose Earthquakes striker Chris Wondolowski gained momentum with the U.S. over the past year, and given that Klinsmann prematurely chose his 23-man roster ahead of the June 2 deadline, the five goals Wondolowski scored before leaving the for pre-World Cup camp likely helped secure a roster spot. Wondolowski appears to be a more efficient striker, putting 47 percent of his shots on target so far this season compared to just 41 percent in the 2013 MLS campaign, and his 13 shots on target from inside the penalty area (second most in MLS) suggest that there is some real value to having him on the team.

Finally, AZ Alkmaar striker Aron Johannsson ranked third in the Dutch Eredivisie in the 2013-14 season with 17 goals, and given his moderate-to-strong performances so far with the U.S., it is not surprising to see him included. While it appears that Johannsson has fallen out of favor as a potential lone striker in a 4-2-3-1 formation, the 23-year-old appears to be versatile enough to also play as a second striker, or even potentially out wide under the right circumstances.

Compared with these players, the fact that Donovan is yet to score in seven MLS appearances with the Galaxy this season begins to stand out. Unfortunately, Donovan is not an ideal fit for a lone striker in a 4-2-3-1 -- which immediately makes an equally slumping Altidore a more versatile choice -- while he is also yet to score in a dual-striker formation with his club.

Impact substitute, outlook

There was of course the potential of Donovan at least being an impact substitute for the U.S., but given his current level, it is completely conceivable that Donovan's reduced overall impact is not enough to overcome the upside Klinsmann sees from players like Fabian Johnson, Mix Diskerud and even Julian Green.

This is not to say that Klinsmann necessarily made the right decision in leaving Donovan off the 23-man roster, but it is definitively saying that the team will not suffer a significant loss without Donovan's services this summer.

Donovan's absence provides opportunities for new players to step up, along with an opportunity for the United States to forge a new identity without arguably the most iconic figure in its history.
                            Pretty much what any rational person is saying: He just didn't fit into any role that's available considering the formation.

This is what I hate about the situation, the lack of rational thinking. Shocking to say but, Brad Davis, right now, is a better player. I just hope it goes like last time the media got upset at Klinsmann...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Leadership. He runs RSL on the field, the attack goes through him, and he's good defensively. He's an impact player, if you watch RSL without him they have trouble.
                              Sure, but he still sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmh View Post
                                Sure, but he still sucks.
                                Remember what I said about rational thinking? Yeah...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X