X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXV - the run up to the World Cup

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    my guess is that both he and Green made the team simply because Klinsmann expects big things from them in 2018...which is disappointing to me because we don't have the luxury of using roster spots on unproven players like that.
    To be honest, I'm just gonna trust Klinsmann on this one.

But holy overreaction Batman on the internet for the Donovan snub.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      To be honest, I'm just gonna trust Klinsmann on this one.

But holy overreaction Batman on the internet for the Donovan snub.
      Holy Cammi Granato, Batman!
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Holy Cammi Granato, Batman!
        Not even close Boy Wonder.
        I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

How many people up in arms about Donovan do you think are mad because they only started watching soccer after the Algeria goal and think he's the best American player because of that?
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
            How many people up in arms about Donovan do you think are mad because they only started watching soccer after the Algeria goal and think he's the best American player because of that?
            Probably. If (when?) this team crashes and burns because of the brutal group, he'll probably hear it for not taking him and having a contract through Russia '18.
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
              Obviously we're not at training camp and Donovan's form hasn't been very great this year but I still think he offers alot to this team and I think it was a mistake to not include him. On the other hand, I understand that it's Klinsmann's call and he and Donovan have never really seen eye to eye on things. It certainly sets an example to the 23 that are going, I also think there is a small chance that Klinsmann did it simply because even if Donovan has something left in the tank, it isn't what it was and he can't have the other 10 guys on the field expecting Donovan to make something happen in the final 20 minutes of a game that he comes on for...in the past, we've seen the team feed the ball to Donovan and see what he does instead of doing what they can to win the game. This move is a much a mind game as anything telling the 23 going to Brazil that Klinsmann has faith in them enough not to bring Donovan along unless he's at his best, which he isn't right now.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Okay, so I'm fine with people wondering if Landon really should be on the team instead of Wondo or Brad Davis or some of the other weaker members of the team (or one of the superfluous right backs). But the hyperbole that's so abundant in the reactions to the LandySnub is getting pretty entertaining for me. It's not quite to the point where I'm reminded of how people reacted to Ted Thompson sticking with Aaron Rodgers instead of taking Brett Favre back, but it's getting there.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

i won't pretend that i follow this stuff like many of you but i am still a big soccer fan and am thinking that at 32, donovan isn't ancient. sure, a lot of tread on the tires but klinsmann doesn't see any value in bringing him as a bench player/late game sub? has donovan fallen off the map that much? and is there a personal thing going on between the two? i know neither side would admit to it.

def not killing klinsmann, but i can't say i still wasn't surprised.

anyway, to me the reason i would consider the reaction overblown is that for years now our biggest problem has been defending. how do you diehards feel about our defense going into this?

Comment

The biggest thing everybody is missing with LD is the attitude. He has stated that, at his age, he can't train as hard as he use to. He has lost his competitive edge and has said as such.

Going into a World Cup, where this team is gonna have to work their *es off and this player is saying he can't. Are you gonna take him?

To be honest, if he wasn't gonna start, he shouldn't be going. He's not a super sub, he doesn't have his speed as much anymore and his passing isn't better than Bradley's. He can fit into roles but there are better players for said roles. That's why he's not going, objectively there is just not a place for him.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

My only surprise is that he seemed to add some punch during the Hex, but beyond that I can't comment if he's in form or not and assume that the decision to leave him off was more in line with that than building for 2018.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        My only surprise is that he seemed to add some punch during the Hex, but beyond that I can't comment if he's in form or not and assume that the decision to leave him off was more in line with that than building for 2018.
                        He's yet to score for LA this season and looks out of shape. He also got pulled off the starting lineup in the friendly versus Mexico.
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

So Mix Diskerud will wear the fabled #10 jersey for USA in Brazil...that seems crazy to me.

Ives reporting a likely lineup for tonights friendly is
                          -----------------Altidore----------------
                          Bedoya--------Dempsey----------Zusi
                          -------Jones-------------Bradley-------
                          Beasley--Besler--Cameron--Johnson
                          -----------------Howard----------------

Thoughts?
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Not being too knowledgeable about our defenders, I can't say much about the selections there.

To me, it was always going to be curious where that 6th MF/FW spot was going to end up. Choosing Bedoya over another option (Johannsson or Diskerud) is really the only potential controversy here, but I'll reserve judgement until I've seen what Klinsmann plans on for the rest of the warm-up friendlies.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

If the US tanks the first round and is sent home 0-3 the no Landon thing could hurt Klinsmann. Although it might not matter at that point. He could be gone anyways.
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                                If the US tanks the first round and is sent home 0-3 the no Landon thing could hurt Klinsmann. Although it might not matter at that point. He could be gone anyways.
                                If they go 0-3 and tank I'm pretty sure he's gone regardless of who he brought with him to Brazil. They are going to have to win a game for him to keep his job even with the extension...unless somehow its 3 really competitive games, but i can't see it.

As for the lineup, Bedoya and Beasley jump out at me as the most likely to not stay starters. We shall see.

Comment

Working...
                                X