• Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXV - the run up to the World Cup

Looks like Sepp made an oopsie.

http://deadspin.com/sepp-blatter-giv...ium=socialflow
    Twitter: DanMountSports
    2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      On a side note, might I say F the soccer universe. No one sells soccer merch in larger than 2XL. I want a jersey, polo, tshirt to wear when watching the world cup and I got nothing.
      I had a relative go to Turkey for a few weeks and he got me a Galatasaray jersey. I was hoping for a Turkish national team jersey, but it's still a cool jersey so I can't complain. It was an official Nike, stitched patches and everything, jersey. Now pretty much everything I wear here in the States is a large, some companies I go XL, but for the most part I stick with L. When I tried the jersey on, I learned two things:

1) Apparently tall people don't exist in Turkey
      2) America is fatter than I thought

I can't wear it without restricted movement, and it looks ridiculous because it's so short it's essentially a midrift on me. Apparently the XL was just wider so that wouldn't fix that problem, but it's amazing to think a Turkish Nike large width-wise is about the same as an American Nike small.
      Last edited by Spartanforlife4; 05-16-2014, 08:28 AM.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
        I had a relative go to Turkey for a few weeks and he got me a Galatasaray jersey. I was hoping for a Turkish national team jersey, but it's still a cool jersey so I can't complain. It was an official Nike, stitched patches and everything, jersey. Now pretty much everything I wear here in the States is a large, some companies I go XL, but for the most part I stick with L. When I tried the jersey on, I learned two things:

1) Apparently tall people don't exist in Turkey
        2) America is fatter than I thought

I can't wear it without restricted movement, and it looks ridiculous because it's so short it's essentially a midrift on me. Apparently the XL was just wider so that wouldn't fix that problem, but it's amazing to think a Turkish Nike large width-wise is about the same as an American Nike small.
        I don't think its Turkey, I think it soccer. I've never found a soccer jersey that fit me at the same size a t-shirt does.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
          If he's suddenly saying that now, one of his checks must have bounced.
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
            If he's suddenly saying that now, one of his checks must have bounced.
            It's only because of having to move it to the winter, though. Not because of the human suffering and death and thrown together infrastructure, just because it's too hot for the summer.

Meanwhile I saw someone else make a good point. If it does in fact get taken away from them, it's better for it to happen late if we want the US to host. A decision within the next year gives a country like Australia a much better chance. Waiting until the last minute makes it a dead heat between the US and England.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

It's only because of having to move it to the winter, though. Not because of the human suffering and death and thrown together infrastructure, just because it's too hot for the summer.

Meanwhile I saw someone else make a good point. If it does in fact get taken away from them, it's better for it to happen late if we want the US to host. A decision within the next year gives a country like Australia a much better chance. Waiting until the last minute makes it a dead heat between the US and England.
              Well, no matter when the decision is made, it shouldn't be England because it will have just been in Russia in 2018.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Well, no matter when the decision is made, it shouldn't be England because it will have just been in Russia in 2018.
                I agree, but didn't FIFA abandon their confederation rotation system? That would just re-emphasize that they're open for anything.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

I agree, but didn't FIFA abandon their confederation rotation system? That would just re-emphasize that they're open for anything.
                  There is no confederations rotation anymore:

"In October 2007, FIFA ended its continental rotation policy. Instead countries that are members of the same confederation as either of the last two tournament hosts are ineligible"

So based on that South America and Europe would not be eligible for 2022.

Comment

There is no confederations rotation anymore:

"In October 2007, FIFA ended its continental rotation policy. Instead countries that are members of the same confederation as either of the last two tournament hosts are ineligible"

So based on that South America and Europe would not be eligible for 2022.
                    Ah, ok. Looking at future bids on Wikipedia right now, the US needs to put one in for 2026. I feel like 2030 is locked up with Uruguay/Argentina for the centennial.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

No it doesn't. They'll go to Germany or something first.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                        No it doesn't. They'll go to Germany or something first.
                        As Shirtless noted: that won't be the case (at least, not Germany specifically) if they honor the confederation eligibility rule that they've set forth (if your confederation hosted one of the last two World Cups, you are not eligible to host).
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          As Shirtless noted: that won't be the case (at least, not Germany specifically) if they honor the confederation eligibility rule that they've set forth (if your confederation hosted one of the last two World Cups, you are not eligible to host).
                          And you guys are thinking FIFA will apply logic in this situation?
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Isn't the first rule of the FIFA rulebook to screw England?
                            Twitter: DanMountSports
                            2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

ESPN Classic is infecting people with World Cup fever. Classic soccer matches, soccer documentaries and the lot have been airing all week. On now: The USA - Algeria match from the opening round in 2010.

In case you forgot how that ended...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbn3rOPmR9w

Comment

• Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                                Isn't the first rule of the FIFA rulebook to screw England?
                                God's Handiwork.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X