This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jmh View Post
    Well, I mean, the Premier League is a pretty big differentiator from what they had on Vs., no?
    But how long will that last?

NBC wanted to stay with MLS but wanted exclusivity. It seems MLS didn't want that.

It's a great time to be a sports property, so much competition.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: World Soccer XXV - the run up to the World Cup

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      Fair point. You could also add college hockey (not that that's much of an addition, other than for our needs), but that's pretty much it. It's otherwise still the same mix of small-scale eastern college football, cycling, F1, piddly college basketball and nature shows.
      NBC Sports is completely different from Versus as far as the outdoor hunting/fishing shows. Not much of that on NBC Sports now.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Kinda surprised by the omission of Sacha Kljestan.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          Good for FS1, bad for NBCSN. Probably good for ESPN, but I honestly don't give a **** what's good for ESPN.

I wonder what properties NBCSN needs to start looking at in the near future to help shore up what's starting to look too much like the old Vs. lineup.
          Best news is for MLS. $90 million a year, guaranteed time slots, 8 years. That's a pretty great deal.
          I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Oh, we know at least who the 3 Goalies for the World Cup are. So no mystery there.
            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              Fair point. You could also add college hockey (not that that's much of an addition, other than for our needs), but that's pretty much it. It's otherwise still the same mix of small-scale eastern college football, cycling, F1, piddly college basketball and nature shows.
              OK, but they have two pretty major pro leagues in addition to all that other stuff. NBC in a broader sense also has a foothold in the NFL, and the Olympics of course. It's not a terrible portfolio.

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              Oh, we know at least who the 3 Goalies for the World Cup are. So no mystery there.
              Barring injury, didn't we pretty much already know that?
              Cornell University Men's Hockey
              NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

So I was reading SI's article about the first World Cup hattrick and had no idea about the caliber of the ASL or the "soccer wars." Makes it sound like FIFA and foreigners are to blame for the US not liking soccer until recently.

SI's article:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/lon...html?mobile=no

Wiki on ASL: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ameri...ue_(1921-1933)
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by jmh View Post
                  Barring injury, didn't we pretty much already know that?
                  There was some question as to taking Rimando or Sean Johnson from DC.

On a useless trivia note, Rimando and Kyle Beckerman are two of last Miami Fusion players left in MLS.
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                    OK, but they have two pretty major pro leagues in addition to all that other stuff. NBC in a broader sense also has a foothold in the NFL, and the Olympics of course. It's not a terrible portfolio.
                    Let's not forget they've got NASCAR. The races may be on NBC but I'm sure they'll have content relating to it.

It was probably a good move considering that ESPN likes to bury other sports that don't sign with them. (See NHL and soon to be NASCAR.) I do think NBC did a great job, but I think they made the mistake of the exclusivity rider.
                    Twitter: DanMountSports
                    2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

There was some question as to taking Rimando or Sean Johnson from DC.
                      Was there? I thought it was generally accepted that Rimando was the #3 but I haven't been paying all that close attention so I might be mistaken.
                      ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                      Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        So I was reading SI's article about the first World Cup hattrick and had no idea about the caliber of the ASL or the "soccer wars." Makes it sound like FIFA and foreigners are to blame for the US not liking soccer until recently.

SI's article:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/lon...html?mobile=no

Wiki on ASL: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ameri...ue_(1921-1933)
                        What's sad is the people like the Cosmos and their zealots, the pro/rel zealots like TinfoilTed Westervelt, and even the NASL commissioner want something exactly like this nowadays. MLS is evil and ruining American soccer with their franchise system and salary cap and business model. And it's all a conspiracy because they control US Soccer.
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

What's sad is the people like the Cosmos and their zealots, the pro/rel zealots like TinfoilTed Westervelt, and even the NASL commissioner want something exactly like this nowadays. MLS is evil and ruining American soccer with their franchise system and salary cap and business model. And it's all a conspiracy because they control US Soccer.
                          so they're evil because they operate similar to every other major sport in America?

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            so they're evil because they operate similar to every other major sport in America?
                            I can't tell if Jimjamesak is saying that, or mocking people who say that.

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                              I can't tell if Jimjamesak is saying that, or mocking people who say that.
                              to take a page out of other threads....Jimmyjam gonna Jimmyjam

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                Oops, I forgot the .

Yeah it's what those crazies believe, not me. The MLS model is what has allowed the league to be where it is now: stable. That's more than any other league has achieved.
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X