This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Yeah the CL is big deal but considering you know by September what 4 teams it'll be, there isn't much drama. And the Europa League isn't worth much, in fact for some teams in can be bad. There's probably 9-10 teams that are playing for almost nothing except position.
    From talking to my European friends, the Europa League is considered a big deal. Bigger than the Cups in the big 5 countries, and bigger than a league title in any other country. Even Atletico, who is about the 3rd-5th most successful Spanish team all-time, had big parades and celebrations for their Europa League wins.
    In term of interest in Europe, the CL is much like the Super Bowl. It was all anyone talked about for weeks, and I was in Sweden, where there hasn't even been a group stage participant since AIK back in the '90s. It was also the year that Inter fans embarrassed themselves by throwing flares at Milano (who can blame them, really ) and Liverpool came back from 3-nil down to win the title, so they hadn't stopped talking about it when I left in June.

On another note-Ajax has clinched Dutch title #33
    SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
    UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
    Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
    Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
    UMD Football: 2008, 2010
    UMD Men: 2011

Comment

• Re: World Soccer XXV - the run up to the World Cup

On the Europa League, folks I know who follow European soccer (which is mostly folks who follow English soccer, so maybe fans of soccer in other countries see things a bit differently), say that the Europa League isn't that big a deal. I think it's one of those things where most teams qualify, but don't really expect to make it all the way through to win, given that you get some CL teams dropping in, like Juventus and Benfica this season, who are the favorites. So, for a lot of folks, it isn't a place you expect to win hardware, and the money isn't big like the CL, but the Europa League can create a good bit of fixture congestion for squads that often aren't built for European competitions on top of domestic efforts. My brother, a big Ipswich fan, wishes they'd never qualified for Europe last time they were in the EPL, as the extra fixtures contributed to their being relegated that season (in his opinion, which I think has some merit). So, if somehow you get through and win it, it's a somewhat big deal, but most teams don't, and don't expect to.
      Originally posted by Priceless
      Good to see you're so reasonable.
      Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
      Very well, said.
      Originally posted by Rover
      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

I think the Europa League isn't a big deal for fans of the biggest few teams in the top 5-6 leagues (my brother-in-law, who supports Spurs, has been hoping for them to lose lately because he only wants them playing in the Champions League, which I think is ridiculous considering they haven't won anything bigger than the League Cup since 1991), but for supporters of smaller teams it is. I enjoyed it not just when Fulham were in the final (can that really only be four years ago? it feels like ages) but also when they only made it to the group stage a couple of years ago, and I think that feeling was shared by UK-based supporters who got to see matches against teams Fulham would never normally play and travel to see matches in countries where they'd never normally have the chance to go. It's true that the extra fixtures can lead to injuries and fatigue that hamper a relegation fight, but, borrowing a saying from baseball, flags fly forever, and I think for a small club, playing and advancing in the Europa League falls under that heading. I mean, if you're Ipswich, or Fulham, or really any club that doesn't have the massive resources of a Liverpool or an Arsenal, there's a nonzero chance of relegation any given year whether or not you have those extra fixtures; it just goes with the territory. May as well have some fun along the way.
        Cornell University Men's Hockey
        NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
        Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
          I think the Europa League isn't a big deal for fans of the biggest few teams in the top 5-6 leagues (my brother-in-law, who supports Spurs, has been hoping for them to lose lately because he only wants them playing in the Champions League, which I think is ridiculous considering they haven't won anything bigger than the League Cup since 1991), but for supporters of smaller teams it is. I enjoyed it not just when Fulham were in the final (can that really only be four years ago? it feels like ages) but also when they only made it to the group stage a couple of years ago, and I think that feeling was shared by UK-based supporters who got to see matches against teams Fulham would never normally play and travel to see matches in countries where they'd never normally have the chance to go. It's true that the extra fixtures can lead to injuries and fatigue that hamper a relegation fight, but, borrowing a saying from baseball, flags fly forever, and I think for a small club, playing and advancing in the Europa League falls under that heading. I mean, if you're Ipswich, or Fulham, or really any club that doesn't have the massive resources of a Liverpool or an Arsenal, there's a nonzero chance of relegation any given year whether or not you have those extra fixtures; it just goes with the territory. May as well have some fun along the way.
          I agree that it probably seems like the NIT for the biggest teams in the biggest countries, but these Atletico fans seemed pretty pumped about it:http://www.elimparcial.es/images/upl..._efe130510.jpg

I know even 2-time European Cup/CL winner FC Porto had big celebrations for its Europa League title in 2011. While I certainly want Ajax to win CL title #5 the most, I would be excited about Europa League title #2 if that came to pass. I'd be even more excited if Valerenga (Oslo) won the Europa League, since that would be an enormous accomplishment for a Norwegian team.
          SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
            I agree that it probably seems like the NIT for the biggest teams in the biggest countries, but these Atletico fans seemed pretty pumped about it:http://www.elimparcial.es/images/upl..._efe130510.jpg

I know even 2-time European Cup/CL winner FC Porto had big celebrations for its Europa League title in 2011. While I certainly want Ajax to win CL title #5 the most, I would be excited about Europa League title #2 if that came to pass. I'd be even more excited if Valerenga (Oslo) won the Europa League, since that would be an enormous accomplishment for a Norwegian team.
            I agree that if you actually win it, fans of most teams are going to be quite happy and will consider it a good achievement. Really, it's a mixed bag, with the fixture congestion/player exhaustion being the big downside for at least some teams. I've been reading Spurs' board over on bigsoccer for years, and they seem ambivalent at best toward the Europa League, with moments of some excitement when their team has shown some success, but ruing the injuries/exhaustion that extra fixtures, including some in far flung parts of Europe, inflict on the squad. Part of it depends on the expectations for a club. For someone like Fulham, having the success they had a few seasons ago in the Europa League is huge. For someone like Spurs, with higher expectations, not so much.
            Very well, said.
            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Atletico up 3-1 on Chelsea late in the second leg at Stamford Bridge, after a goal-less draw in Madrid in the first leg. Assuming Chelsea don't put away three goals in the last 15 minutes, it will be the first time the two Champions League (or European Cup) finalists have been from the same city, and only the fifth time they've been from the same country.
              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Well, at least there's someone I can root for now in the final. If it'd been Chelski and Real Madrid, I'd have no options. Atletico Madrid I can get behind. Kinda neat that you have a local derby in the CL final. And with Atletico in the driver's seat to win the domestic league also.
                Very well, said.
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

I've always liked the Euro, although part of it could be the first time I experienced it I was at a bar in Bahrain in '96 surrounded by s**t-talking English puffs that cried in their beer while witnessing their beatdown by Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    There are reports that the Copa América Centenario in United States will become official soon with the tournament involving all 10 CONMEBOL teams, USA, Mexico and 4 other CONCACAF teams.
                    It's official.
                    Last edited by jmh; 05-01-2014, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                      Finally, a major international tournament I can attend.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                        Finally, a major international tournament I can attend.
                        Yeah, if you can hitch a ride to Seattle.

Any idea of who's on the short list for host stadiums???
                        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                          Yeah, if you can hitch a ride to Seattle.

Any idea of who's on the short list for host stadiums???
                          Pfft, going to Seattle for Alaskans is like going to the next block for the rest of you. Heck, if the games are at the right times I could fly in and out the same day.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Speaking of the Europa League, third tier teams from first tier countries, and first tier teams from second tier countries; Sevilla and Benfica are through to the final.

Comment

• Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
                              Speaking of the Europa League, third tier teams from first tier countries, and first tier teams from second tier countries; Sevilla and Benfica are through to the final.
                              Well, that'll jump Spain up in the coefficients...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Fascinating scenes at Newcastle today ... the home fans staging a protest walkout at the 69th minute, and several thousand appear to have left. Protesting against the manager and the way the club has been run. And the loudest cheers have been angry protest cheers against the home side. Multiple fans ejected after approaching the directors box and providing verbal abuse. Almost no noise for the game itself.

Meanwhile, inept Cardiff, staring relegation in the face, and given the rare opportunity on the road to turn the home fans against the home side, have mustered nothing.

Fascinating.

Comment

Working...
                                X