Clear All

• Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
    Shoulda been the Cosmos.
    That would be even worse.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: World Soccer XXV - the run up to the World Cup

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      That would be even worse.
      Agreed!!

Don't they have enough money between the Yankees and Man City to be able to pony up enough cash to buy a space and put up a new stadium for Soccer?

Heck, there's that track and field right next to the new Yankees stadium. It might take a little work and creative engineering, but that right there should give them space to drop in a decent sized MLS stadium, and they could probably keep the track there as well. That could come in handy later on for big track events in the City. Heck, that feature could even be included in a future Olympic bid for New Your City. Best of all they wouldn't really have to do all much for transit to that site, as all of the Yankee Stadium subway stops would be right there.
      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

• Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post

Heck, there's that track and field right next to the new Yankees stadium. It might take a little work and creative engineering, but that right there should give them space to drop in a decent sized MLS stadium, and they could probably keep the track there as well. That could come in handy later on for big track events in the City. Heck, that feature could even be included in a future Olympic bid for New Your City. Best of all they wouldn't really have to do all much for transit to that site, as all of the Yankee Stadium subway stops would be right there.
        There really is no useful space at that field to add any meaningful seating capacity there. Google maps isn't showing the parking garage(s) between that field and the youth baseball fields where the old stadium used to be.

Their best bet is to look at Randall's Island /Icahn Stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
          There really is no useful space at that field to add any meaningful seating capacity there. Google maps isn't showing the parking garage(s) between that field and the youth baseball fields where the old stadium used to be.

Actually they were looking to buy land that some warehouses or parking lot is on near Yankee Stadium.
          I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            Actually they were looking to buy land that some warehouses or parking lot is on near Yankee Stadium.
            My point was the field Monster was specifically suggesting really isn't feasible. There may be other options not too far away from there, but that whole area will be somewhat tricky to find space for a decent sized stadium.

I'd be curious if there are specific issues with renovating Icahn. Yes, Randall's Island is a NYC parks/rec area, but there is already some existing seating, and plenty of space to expand.

Comment

I'd be curious if there are specific issues with renovating Icahn. Yes, Randall's Island is a NYC parks/rec area, but there is already some existing seating, and plenty of space to expand.
              Even if Icahn could be renovated appropriately (I really have no idea whether this is the case or not), it's horribly inaccessible. By transit, there's only one existing bus line that would be totally inadequate to handle game crowds; even with the political will to add dedicated buses game it would be a huge mess. By car, you can only get there by the Triboro (sorry, "RFK") Bridge, which can be a nightmare especially on weekday evenings, and there isn't really enough parking on the island for regular recreational use of the playing fields on summer weekends, let alone for game crowds. If part of their pitch is that they're easier to get to than the Red Bulls, Randall's doesn't accomplish that. On the other hand, there are some wholly unnecessary parking garages near Yankee Stadium that they could tear down and build another stadium.
              Last edited by jmh; 04-23-2014, 11:38 AM.
              Cornell University Men's Hockey
              NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

My point was the field Monster was specifically suggesting really isn't feasible. There may be other options not too far away from there, but that whole area will be somewhat tricky to find space for a decent sized stadium.

You wouldn't have to use the current field and track that's right there currently. They could orientate the pitch about 90 degrees from what it is now and steal some land from Heritage field, that would give them plenty of room to shoehorn a soccer stadium with an Olympic grade track around the pitch. They would have to do some rearranging of the Heritage Field area, maybe swap the baseball and softball diamond areas around perhaps. But then again, I'm just eyeballing it from Google Maps.

And via Google Maps, I wouldn't be all that opposed to them using the Icahn stadium site as well. Using the eyeball here, you could put up up a pretty nice stadium there as well, with room for expanding it for a big event like say the Olympics perhaps.
                bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

I know it's only one game and it's against Norwich, but United looks different with Giggs in charge.
                  Twitter: DanMountSports
                  2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Funny time of year in EPL, when a team is ecstatic to clinch 16th place.

With a little more luck, Jozy Altidore will still be in the top flight next year, even though Sunderland is tied for relegation they have a game in hand and goal differential in their favor.

Though the idea that there are "no playoffs" is not quite the case....even though there is no domestic playoff, Champions League qualification is a big-time money-maker, and I guess Europa League sort of means something too.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

There are reports that the Copa América Centenario in United States will become official soon with the tournament involving all 10 CONMEBOL teams, USA, Mexico and 4 other CONCACAF teams.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

bayern with an absolute trainwreck of a first half

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          might we see an all-Madrid final?? that would be something.
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                            Though the idea that there are "no playoffs" is not quite the case....even though there is no domestic playoff, Champions League qualification is a big-time money-maker, and I guess Europa League sort of means something too.
                            Yeah the CL is big deal but considering you know by September what 4 teams it'll be, there isn't much drama. And the Europa League isn't worth much, in fact for some teams in can be bad. There's probably 9-10 teams that are playing for almost nothing except position.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              That was unexpected.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Surprised no one talked about what Dani Alves did.

http://blog.foxsoccer.com/post/84056...rts%3Aansfox11
                                Twitter: DanMountSports
                                2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Working...
                                X