X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World Soccer XXV - the run up to the World Cup

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    hard to think of USA v Mexico as a "friendly."
    The new shirts are certainly doing unfriendly things to my eyes.

Julian Green (discussed upthread) is the only Europe-based player in the squad for the match, presumably to irrevocably cap-tie him to the US. Hard to think of it as a friendly, but also hard to think of it as overly competitive with Howard, Guzan, Cameron, Jones, Altidore etc. not called up.

(Edit to add: Mexico have also only called up domestic-based players, so the crowd in Arizona won't get to see Memo Ochoa, Guardado, Chicharito, Dos Santos or some of Mexico's other big names either.)
    Last edited by jmh; 04-02-2014, 12:00 PM.
    Cornell University Men's Hockey
    NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
    Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
      Julian Green (discussed upthread) is the only Europe-based player in the squad for the match, presumably to irrevocably cap-tie him to the US.
      I thought that you needed to play in a "real" competitive match to be cap-tied, and a friendly would not do it.

In the event where a player is eligible to play for multiple nations, he is only 'cap-tied' to a nation after playing for its senior team in an official competition, or having played in an official competition at youth level and later submitting a request to change national association with FIFA.

Playing in friendly competitions at any level does not cap-tie a player.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I was hoping those USA jerseys were an April Fool's joke. Must've seen a bomb pop and thought it would be a good idea for a kit.
        Twitter: DanMountSports
        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Sydney Leroux seems to like it:
          http://equalizersoccer.com/wp-conten...WNT-jersey.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            She could make a burlap sack look good.
            Twitter: DanMountSports
            2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
              I thought that you needed to play in a "real" competitive match to be cap-tied, and a friendly would not do it.
              I always thought that was the case as well, but at the time of the Green announcement I read more than one article saying that playing in a friendly would suffice to cap-tie him in his case. I think maybe it's because he's switching after playing in official FIFA competitive youth matches for Germany?
              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Good thing this is only a friendly...
                "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                  Good thing this is only a friendly...
                  What a joke with the disallowed E Johnson goal and no foul on Mexico after taking down J Green just outside the box.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I got to say in my 30 years of watching the National Team it really is fun to see our own players beating up Mexico! If you would have told me then the USA team would be a top 10 to 20 club I would have been stunned.
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pjli...ekhoAg&index=2

ESPN World Cup/American Outlaws commercial. Well, I kinda want to run through a brick wall.

Comment

Originally posted by JuveGG24 View Post
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pjli...ekhoAg&index=2

ESPN World Cup/American Outlaws commercial. Well, I kinda want to run through a brick wall.
                        I was right there with you until I saw Kyle Beckerman and then all my enthusiasm went away.

Comment

Well, nice to see that ESPN is at least acknowledging that the USA made the World Cup... In the commercials I have seen so far haven't shown a single clip of the US team... It's all Euro teams and Brazil...
                          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Barcelona on the verge of elimination in Champions League quarterfinals. Atletico Madrid ahead 1-0 in 79th minute.
                            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Watching 30 for 30: Hillsborough.

As controversial as the opinion may be, I'm more convinced than ever that despite the lack of preparation in Sheffield being the reason the disaster was as bad as it was, the very system itself (terraces, pens, a broad culture that said you wouldn't REALLY need a ticket to get in) was just MASSIVELY stupid and bound for problems.

Put another way: if it didn't happen at Hillsborough to Liverpool fans, it was going to happen SOMEWHERE to SOMEONE to SOME degree.
                              Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 04-15-2014, 08:17 PM.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                                Watching 30 for 30: Hillsborough.

As controversial as the opinion may be, I'm more convinced than ever that despite the lack of preparation in Sheffield being the reason the disaster was as bad as it was, the very system itself (terraces, pens, a broad culture that said you wouldn't REALLY need a ticket to get in) was just MASSIVELY stupid and bound for problems.

Put another way: if it didn't happen at Hillsborough to Liverpool fans, it was going to happen SOMEWHERE to SOMEONE to SOME degree.
                                It was inevitable and very preventable. Heck Forrest and Liverpool played at Hillsborough the year before and the Liverpool fans reported problems at the same places people died. Nick Hornsby gives some eerie accounts in Fever Pitch of problems at other stadiums. It's pretty appalling how fans were treated then and what terrible shape the stadiums were in.

But I support the campaign for justice as well. As the saying goes "mistakes were made". Couple that with the lies and cover ups, certainly some punishment must be dealt.
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Working...
                                X