This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    It is my understanding that the French women's league is generally considered to be the best in the world, though I could be wrong. IIRC, some of the best US women's players play there.
    Most play in both since NWSL is a summer league.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: World Soccer XXV - the run up to the World Cup

So I'm rather frustrated to see some of the best America has to offer ending up in Toronto! That's not really "coming home" ****it!
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        So I'm rather frustrated to see some of the best America has to offer ending up in Toronto! That's not really "coming home" ****it!
        Money talks and TFC has a lot to throw around. But yeah, it's kind of annoying.
        I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
          Kljestan is terrible. I emphatically hope the Red Bulls don't trade for him. I'd take Jozy back in a heartbeat though.

But more importantly... FAT RONALDO IS GOING TO ATTEMPT A COMEBACK WITH THE FORT LAUDERDALE STRIKERS!!!!! I would absolutely schlep to Hofstra to watch Fat Ronaldo and the Fort Lauderdale Strikers take on Old Raul and the Fake Cosmos.
          As opposed the wannabes of NY soccer. RBNY... err... New Jersey, and Man City's farm club.
          Twitter: DanMountSports
          2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
            As opposed the wannabes of NY soccer. RBNY... err... New Jersey, and Man City's farm club.
            Hey, I've never denied that the Red Bulls/Metros are historically a terrible team. But at least they're an actual soccer team and not a merchandising enterprise capitalizing on 35-year-old goodwill.

Apparently the MLS SuperDraft is today? The way to get fans excited is definitely having it at 12:30 on a Thursday afternoon.
            Cornell University Men's Hockey
            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

• Originally posted by jmh View Post
              Apparently the MLS SuperDraft is today? The way to get fans excited is definitely having it at 12:30 on a Thursday afternoon.
              Well, the Superdraft is really losing significance lately with Homegrown players and such.
              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Hey, I've never denied that the Red Bulls/Metros are historically a terrible team. But at least they're an actual soccer team and not a merchandising enterprise capitalizing on 35-year-old goodwill.

If the MLS and the Cosmos ever got together, the money they'd be making would far outweigh any initial cost. It's got a cache. I just think both parties missed the boat and we're stuck Man City's version of Chivas.

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Deadspin on Toronto FC's Altidore, Giovinco signings

I have to say... I don't mind the lower level of play compared to top European leagues, and even the salary cap doesn't bother me too much, but single-entity isn't really doing it for me these days.
                  ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                  Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

I have to say... I don't mind the lower level of play compared to top European leagues, and even the salary cap doesn't bother me too much, but single-entity isn't really doing it for me these days.
                    *Sees "Bill Haisley", stops reading*
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

The single entity was great to start the league up, but I do think maybe we should look into breaking it up with separate owners for separate clubs. However, we'd have the issue of teams like the Galaxy, RBNY and others buying championships.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                        *Sees "Bill Haisley", stops reading*
                        I generally like his writing, what's your gripe with him?

Comment

I generally like his writing, what's your gripe with him?
                          Look at what the article is filed under: "MLS Sucks". He's a Eurosnob to nth degree. Everything he writes about MLS is negative and has an agenda. This article is basically a long form Tinfoil Ted tweet. MLS Season starting? Let me tell you why you should avoid it.

He's the embodiment of the Eurosnob, that soccer is only Ronaldo, Messi, England, and the World Cup. MLS? It must scorned because it is an inferior product ruining the chances of the USMNT. Messi dribbles through 4 defenders? GREATEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD!!!1!! Dempsey dribbles through 4 defenders? Terrible defending. I see his name on the article, the window closes immediately.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

World's top women players drop their lawsuit vs FIFA. Interesting though that they did get the Canadian Soccer Association to upgrade the playing surface in the stadium that will host the Final.

In a statement obtained by SI.com confirming the players' withdrawal of their lawsuit, players’ attorney Hampton Dellinger explained his side’s position.

“Since a coalition of the world’s best female soccer players initiated legal action, the tactics of FIFA and CSA have included: threatening protesting players with suspension, doing everything possible to delay a final court ruling despite the players’ need to know what surface the tournament will be held on so they can train accordingly, suggesting they would either defy an adverse court ruling or cancel the tournament and, most recently, rejecting the players’ undeniably fair settlement offer,” Dellinger said. “In the face of such irresponsible actions by FIFA and CSA, the players have elected to end their legal fight. The players are doing what FIFA and CSA have proven incapable of: putting the sport of soccer first.”
                            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Wouldn't putting the sport first been to not start a lawsuit to begin with and just play as is.

I believe asking them to change surfaces would be putting players first.
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

No excitement over Middlesbrough trying to take down Man City this morning?

Still a game after 45.
                                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                                X