X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXV - the run up to the World Cup

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Except Klinsmann sounds like one of those blowhards on Twitter or Bigsoccer when he spouts this stuff about pro/rel and the like. Now, Garber shouldn't be saying things about how LD should've been in Brazil either. But Jurgen needs to SierraTangoFoxtrotUniform about MLS. Basically, let tDon run the league and Jurgen coach the team.
    I think we've found a solution. Like I said, it would benefit both parties if they were working together instead of against each other.
    Twitter: DanMountSports
    2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      Except Klinsmann sounds like one of those blowhards on Twitter or Bigsoccer when he spouts this stuff about pro/rel and the like.
      No he doesn't, because while said blowhards don't know Jack squat about how to build a national team and a professional league, Klinsmann does. Perhaps he shouldn't have been so public with his commentary, but I'd rather rip the bandaid off on this subject and get it out in the open than beat around the bush.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        No he doesn't, because while said blowhards don't know Jack squat about how to build a national team and a professional league, Klinsmann does. Perhaps he shouldn't have been so public with his commentary, but I'd rather rip the bandaid off on this subject and get it out in the open than beat around the bush.
        Klinsmann doesn't know how to build a professional league anymore than said blowhards, Garber does and has. Playing soccer does not immediately make one an expert in running a professional league.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
          I think we've found a solution. Like I said, it would benefit both parties if they were working together instead of against each other.
          I read a fuller version of Garber's quote at Sports Illustrated website and it sounds like Garber and Klinsman are talking about two different things.

Klinsman is talking about where MLS is right now and Garber is talking about where MLS aspires to be several years from now.

If MLS were to develop the same quality of soccer talent in its ranks that you find in EPL or Bundesliga they'd both be really happy.
          Last edited by FreshFish; 10-16-2014, 09:54 AM.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            I read a fuller version of Garber's quote at Sports Illustrated website and it sounds like Garber and Klinsman are talking about two different things.

Klinsman is talking about where MLS is right now and Garber is talking about where MLS aspires to be several years from now.

If MLS were to develop the same quality of soccer talent in its ranks that you find in EPL or Bundesliga they'd both be really happy.
            Two thoughts:

1. I will never understand some of the assertions of commenters that sitting on the bench at Sunderland or Stoke is better than playing in MLS. Playing games is a better developer for form than sitting on the bench. The training is marginally better, but training only does so much.

2. * Klinsmann for saying going to MLS was a bad move for Clint Dempsey. Seriously, * that. Clint scores two goals at the World Cup, plays 2/3rds of a game with a broken nose, plays the rest out of position, is one of the best players in MLS, and leads his team that is tied for first. Bad move? He's doing a * ton better than he would be riding the pine at Tottenham or playing on some other mid level EPL team.
            I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

FIFA says producing the full Garcia report is impossible. No shocker there. Just business as usual at the chronically corrupt governing body of soccer.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1786/...e?ICID=HP_BN_3
              Originally posted by Priceless
              Good to see you're so reasonable.
              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
              Very well, said.
              Originally posted by Rover
              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

IIRC (not that I'm going to actually search for it ), what Klinsman actually said was that he wants to see US players starting on Champions League teams. That's a pretty lofty goal, since even the best World Cup quality sides probably have no more than half their starters fitting that criteria. and the "second-tier" sides have two or three, if that.

now for something completely different.

I was wondering what kind of beast we'd have if you could somehow combine Brian McBride's tenacity with Landon Donovan's skill. Isn't McBride still the only non-goalie US player to have sustained success overseas for a decent amount of time? Perhaps there are others and I'm not remembering right now.
                Last edited by FreshFish; 10-17-2014, 12:47 PM.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  IIRC (not that I'm going to actually search it ), what Klinsman said was that he wants to see US players starting on Champions League teams.

now for something completely different.

I was wondering what kind of beast we'd have if you could somehow combine Brian McBride's tenacity with Landon Donovan's skill. Isn't McBride still the only non-goalie US player to have sustained success overseas for a decent amount of time? Perhaps there are others and I'm not remembering right now.
                  Clint Dempsey.
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                    FIFA says producing the full Garcia report is impossible. No shocker there. Just business as usual at the chronically corrupt governing body of soccer.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1786/...e?ICID=HP_BN_3
                    Publishing the report in full would actually put the FIFA Ethics Committee and FIFA itself in a very difficult situation legally.
                    Sort of hints at everything you need to know, doesn't it?
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Looks like Ebola may move the African Cup of Nations

http://screamer.deadspin.com/ebola-m...1647729343/all

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                        Two thoughts:

1. I will never understand some of the assertions of commenters that sitting on the bench at Sunderland or Stoke is better than playing in MLS. Playing games is a better developer for form than sitting on the bench. The training is marginally better, but training only does so much.

2. * Klinsmann for saying going to MLS was a bad move for Clint Dempsey. Seriously, * that. Clint scores two goals at the World Cup, plays 2/3rds of a game with a broken nose, plays the rest out of position, is one of the best players in MLS, and leads his team that is tied for first. Bad move? He's doing a * ton better than he would be riding the pine at Tottenham or playing on some other mid level EPL team.
                        Nobody said that sitting on the bench at Sunderland is better than playing in MLS. What Klinsmann said is that PLAYING in Europe is better than playing in MLS, and he's absolutely right about that. The fact that Dempsey made a poor decision to leave Fulham, got jerked around at Spurs (famous for buying lots of new shiny toys and then never finding a way to use them), and then wound up in Seattle does nothing to disprove this fact. And the fact that he's one of the best players in MLS does nothing to disprove the claim that he could be a BETTER player if he were playing against better competition in a better league.

And I'm not sure how his broken nose has any bearing on this at all.
                        Cornell University Men's Hockey
                        NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                        Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                          Nobody said that sitting on the bench at Sunderland is better than playing in MLS. What Klinsmann said is that PLAYING in Europe is better than playing in MLS, and he's absolutely right about that. The fact that Dempsey made a poor decision to leave Fulham, got jerked around at Spurs (famous for buying lots of new shiny toys and then never finding a way to use them), and then wound up in Seattle does nothing to disprove this fact. And the fact that he's one of the best players in MLS does nothing to disprove the claim that he could be a BETTER player if he were playing against better competition in a better league.

I agree with you on playing in Europe rather than playing in MLS. However, Dempsey wasn't getting better sitting on his butt at Spurs. I think most players would rather play than sit on their backside. Dempsey probably thought steady time in Seattle was a better option than playing sparingly at White Hart Lane.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmh View Post

I disagree that any team in Europe is better than playing MLS. Playing at Sunderland or Stoke and having to bunker in for 30 out of 38 games isn't any better than actually playing in MLS. And there are plenty of garbage teams in La Liga or Serie A or other leagues that would make Chivas USA look good. For example, Brek Shea and Tim Ream versus Zusi and Gonzalez, just playing in England doesn't make you better. And training doesn't mean much either or we'd be talking about how Kenny Cooper lead the US to the semis.

And the broken nose comes up because Klinsmann said Dempsey "lost some of his edge" moving to MLS.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

You know thinking about MLS, no one in MLS has an identity. Teams in Europe play a certain style and they stick with it. MLS teams play whatever style they can based on the personnel. In other words they get different types of players every year. How else do you get DC last one year and first the next. Plus it's a place for old european guys to retire to who can't hack europe any more. ( or guys like Bradley, same thing)

So I'm all in with Klinnsman on playing in Europe. MLS just is not good enough and it's not a development league for US players which it should be. They have a bunch of guys from South America. We have to change our development system if we are going to compete and get talent enough to be a factor in the WC.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

QPR and Liverpool played an extraordinary match. 2 own goals by QPR, one in the 94' gave Liverpool the 3 - 2 win.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X