This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    The Tigers started at midnight before, didn't finish until 3:30.
    Rain delay or game 2 of a doubleheader?

Comment

• Re: World Soccer XXV - the run up to the World Cup

Originally posted by jmh View Post
      Sure, but let's be realistic: FIFA cares way more about the TV money than about the people who are actually going to the games. 2am in Qatar is prime time in the Eastern USA and much of South America, late afternoon in the Western USA, 8am in Tokyo, midnight in the UK. It's optimal timing for their TV market. Well, maybe a couple of hours earlier to make it tolerable in Central Europe, but you get the idea.
      Here's a radical concept. Don't hold it there. The Qataris are using slave labor, bribed officials and caused a crap storm. FIFA needs to do the world a favor and move it. I know you love the Cup being on in primetime, but I don't feel like seeing players drop like flies. It's still farking hot. However, FIFA hates America and the English. Heck, let the Aussies have it. I think Sunil needs to go because he's not putting up enough of a stink over this. (Along with the Hope Solo mess.)
      Twitter: DanMountSports
      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
        Here's a radical concept. Don't hold it there. The Qataris are using slave labor, bribed officials and caused a crap storm. FIFA needs to do the world a favor and move it. I know you love the Cup being on in primetime, but I don't feel like seeing players drop like flies. It's still farking hot. However, FIFA hates America and the English. Heck, let the Aussies have it. I think Sunil needs to go because he's not putting up enough of a stink over this. (Along with the Hope Solo mess.)
        Right, I agree with you. Qatar is so stupid in so many ways. I'm not saying I love it, I'm saying that FIFA would probably see it that way because they'd rather come up with some patchwork solution like that than admit that it was a bad idea from the start.
        Cornell University Men's Hockey
        NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
        Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Right, I agree with you. Qatar is so stupid in so many ways. I'm not saying I love it, I'm saying that FIFA would probably see it that way because they'd rather come up with some patchwork solution like that than admit that it was a bad idea from the start.
          But if FIFA moves the WC from Qatar, wouldn't they have to refund the bribes?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I think it's a lot more straightforward than that.

Cancel Qatar --> Some Guy Loses Money --> That Guy Sues --> Discovery Phase --> Massive Bribery Scandal

Qatar obviously bribed FIFA officials. As long as those officials can control any investigation they get to keep the money and stay out of jail.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              I think it's a lot more straightforward than that.

Cancel Qatar --> Some Guy Loses Money --> That Guy Sues --> Discovery Phase --> Massive Bribery Scandal

Qatar obviously bribed FIFA officials. As long as those officials can control any investigation they get to keep the money and stay out of jail.
              Someone get the BBC on this. They love digging up dirt.

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                Someone get the BBC on this. They love digging up dirt.
                And ex Kings!
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  And ex Kings!
                  Are you an "ex"-King if you die in (or in this case, not in) the saddle? I always figured: Richard II: ex-king; Richard III: king.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Are you an "ex"-King if you die in (or in this case, not in) the saddle? I always figured: Richard II: ex-king; Richard III: king.
                    I think the minute you no longer hold the title, you're an ex.

Catherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn are both ex Queens of England. The only difference was the way they achieved their "ex" status.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

What's the reasoning behind, "FIFA hates the English and America"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        Mostly that people like to play the victim.

But it seems like both do get the shaft sometimes, so perhaps our collective sense of having genuinely better World Cup bids that got ignored for bids that quite likely had some greased palms behind them.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          Well the English is pretty easy. FIFA hates the English because a) The rampant hooliganism in the 70's and 80's and b) English soccer is full of arrogant *tards.
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            Well the English is pretty easy. FIFA hates the English because a) The rampant hooliganism in the 70's and 80's and b) English soccer is full of arrogant *tards.
                            That doesn't answer the question. What's the evidence those supposed reasons have manifested in FIFA jobbing English football? When did it start, has it been consistent, does it make economic sense...?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              That doesn't answer the question. What's the evidence those supposed reasons have manifested in FIFA jobbing English football? When did it start, has it been consistent, does it make economic sense...?
                              English have had better bids the last few times it was Europe's turn only to go with Germany (no problem with) and Russia (big problem). Plus, Platini has a distaste for the English after Heysel and continues to run down the EPL despite the money it makes.

Comment

• Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                                English have had better bids the last few times it was Europe's turn only to go with Germany (no problem with) and Russia (big problem). Plus, Platini has a distaste for the English after Heysel and continues to run down the EPL despite the money it makes.
                                Don't most of you agree WC bidding is a sham dominated by under the table money? That could be more a function of money talks than, "Ah, screw you". And again how has FIFA "run down the EPL" in a manner that is inconsistent with other leagues? I'm looking for substance here Mr. Grassy Knoll.

Comment

Working...
                                X