X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXV - the run up to the World Cup

Hmm...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...ved-from-qatar

It's still more likely The Islamic State, China, Cuba and the Gaza Strip will get the World Cup before us or England.
    Twitter: DanMountSports
    2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

The bright minds at FIFA have finally determined that it's hot in Qatar.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        I'm just waiting for the US or England to be pipped in a late joint bid by Sierra Leone and Liberia.

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          Rather than move the games to a different time of year, why not just play all the games at 2 AM local time? The temperature would be tolerable then.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            Rather than move the games to a different time of year, why not just play all the games at 2 AM local time? The temperature would be tolerable then.
            very funny but I'm sure the part of the equation that fifa forgot was the comfort of their fans when not at a stadium. are they going to air condition the whole country? I mean why not if they are building whole cities right?
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              very funny
              I was not speaking in jest. I meant it with complete seriousness. The difference between daytime and nighttime temperatures is about 30o F, IIRC. That's enough to make it feasible to play in the traditional June-July time slot.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                It's not just the heat. It's the violent repression of human rights that chafes me.

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                  It's not just the heat. It's the violent repression of human rights that chafes me.
                  totally concur. but we are dealing with FIFA...

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    I was not speaking in jest. I meant it with complete seriousness. The difference between daytime and nighttime temperatures is about 30o F, IIRC. That's enough to make it feasible to play in the traditional June-July time slot.
                    For the same reason we don't play baseball games in July at 2 am?

Comment

Originally posted by unofun View Post

when's the last time it hit 115o F in a US ballpark?

FYI, in case you haven't noticed, most MLB weekday games in July and August ARE played at night.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        You have clearly never played in a major city rec league.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Sure, but let's be realistic: FIFA cares way more about the TV money than about the people who are actually going to the games. 2am in Qatar is prime time in the Eastern USA and much of South America, late afternoon in the Western USA, 8am in Tokyo, midnight in the UK. It's optimal timing for their TV market. Well, maybe a couple of hours earlier to make it tolerable in Central Europe, but you get the idea.
                          Cornell University Men's Hockey
                          NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                          Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Soccer already does enough to put people to sleep. Playing in the middle of the night is really pushing it.
                            Originally posted by dicaslover
                            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              when's the last time it hit 115o F in a US ballpark?
                              If I had to guess, probably 10 years ago or so when the cardinals were still paying on astroturf at old Busch stadium. The field level temperatures were often over 110.

And no **** they play at night. Key word night, not early morning. When was the last time an mlb game started at 2 am?

Comment

If I had to guess, probably 10 years ago or so when the cardinals were still paying on astroturf at old Busch stadium. The field level temperatures were often over 110.

And no **** they play at night. Key word night, not early morning. When was the last time an mlb game started at 2 am?
                                The Tigers started at midnight before, didn't finish until 3:30.
                                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Working...
                                X