This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXV - the run up to the World Cup

Add another ball to the field after each extra-time period. (Note: the same rule could work with hockey overtimes!)

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
      Add another ball to the field after each extra-time period. (Note: the same rule could work with hockey overtimes!)
      Just have the ball randomly shoot out into mid-field.... Have Team A with the ball on Team B's doorstep, yet Team B can send a player to get the new ball and walk into that goal all alone...

BRILLIANT!
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        Today, in Keith Olbermann is a blowhard:

http://deadspin.com/keith-olbermann-...e-u-1599078879
        I actually agree with him on all seven points, especially the attempts to adopt the European traditions.

That's one of the things I love about baseball. America, Japan, Korea, and Latin America all have distinct cultures.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Today, in Keith Olbermann is a blowhard:

http://deadspin.com/keith-olbermann-...e-u-1599078879
          KO is a blowhard, however I'm not sure any of these qualifies as a really good example:

1. Stop imitating European fandom

This is dumb but not really all that blowhardy. The impatience with not having a native tradition just means you don't understand how soccer spread originally through the rest of the world. It has always been about imitation coupled with local adjustment.

2. Groom a great American soccer announcer

Leave it to the media to think the media matters. Nobody gives a shit about the fool holding the mic, Keith. Just gives us competent announcers; right now, that comes with a Brit accent. The kind of mouthbreather who won't watch just because of that won't watch anyway.

3. Stop being shitheads to new and casual fans

Completely reasonable and a serious issue. Soccer Hipster is a problem, but happily Soccer Bubbleboob Bandwagon Blonde doesn't care and will attract 25x more fans than SH will repel.

4. Remember it's just a sport, not some mystical experience

Have this argument with Bob Costas and George Will, not us. Again, this is a sportshack jocksniffer problem and nobody else cares.

5. Stop imitating European team naming conventions

Meh. FC Ithaca is fine. Real Ithaca is dumb.

6. Have as little to do with FIFA as possible

Can't think of a more salubrious suggestion.

7. Use video games to grow youth participation

Whatever; I'm not sure The Kids even play video games anymore. This is a 50-year old trying to be hip and looking like John McCain's zombie walk. Not blowhardy, just sad.
          Last edited by Kepler; 07-02-2014, 02:32 PM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            KO is a blowhard, however I'm not sure any of these qualifies as a really good example:
            7. Use video games to grow youth participation

Whatever; I'm not sure The Kids even play video games anymore. This is a 50-year old trying to be hip and looking like John McCain's zombie walk. Not blowhardy, just sad.
            Like I said in the other thread, FIFA is one of the top video games among college and high school students. At MSU, and I would assume many other places in the country, FIFA introduced soccer to a lot of people and allowed them to be knowledgeable about the top teams and players. There's a good portion that have even started following some EPL teams because of the game.

Now, I don't know if video games can cause the team to actually improve, but I know that it has somewhat helped the amount of attention soccer gets within America. Not sure if that will translate to MLS though. People only play with international teams or EPL/La Liga/Bundesliga because those are the best rated teams. So while people know a lot about other domestic leagues they still don't care about how the Crew or Red Bulls are doing.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
              I actually agree with him on all seven points, especially the attempts to adopt the European traditions.

That's one of the things I love about baseball. America, Japan, Korea, and Latin America all have distinct cultures.
              There is something to be said about how disingenuous it is to try to flat out copycat other cultures instead of making/building off of our own. I think there's a mix of both to be found all over America (people mimicking what they see in Europe/Latin America vs. people just being themselves), but I'd like to think we're slowly migrating closer towards the latter.

I will certainly concede that MLS does kind of brand itself towards poseurs with the names of some of the teams. The gratuitous "FC" stuff isn't too bad (although it is silly), but Real, Sporting and Chivas are all patently absurd. Almost on the level of affecting a mock British accent while you're in the stands.

In other words:
              Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              5. Stop imitating European team naming conventions

Meh. FC Ithaca is fine. Real Ithaca is dumb.
              ... except that in my book, both are dumb. Just that one is insanely stupid while the other is just kind of out of place.
              Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 07-02-2014, 02:57 PM.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

During my lunch break, I was looking at the MLS wikipedia page and was starting to look at the geography of the conferences. With 10 eastern teams, 9 western teams and 4 soon-to-be expansion teams that are all pretty much on the Atlantic coast, I've got to assume that (ugh) Sporting KC, (slightly ugh) Houston Dynamo and (ugh... but only for it's location) Chicago Fire are all due to be shipped out west, right?

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                  During my lunch break, I was looking at the MLS wikipedia page and was starting to look at the geography of the conferences. With 10 eastern teams, 9 western teams and 4 soon-to-be expansion teams that are all pretty much on the Atlantic coast, I've got to assume that (ugh) Sporting KC, (slightly ugh) Houston Dynamo and (ugh... but only for it's location) Chicago Fire are all due to be shipped out west, right?
                  Most likely, it depends on where the last expansion lies. They could also go to a 3 Division setup as well.

Houston and KC are almost certain to go west. Which sucks because it'll make the Western Conference even more competitive.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I was going to ask how Chivas USA is still a thing, but I see they're re-branding in 2015.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                      I was going to ask how Chivas USA is still a thing, but I see they're re-branding in 2015.
                      Any word on what that re-branding is going to look like? I guess it'd be a little surprising to see what that looks like before their season ends, but you would think that they've already done most of the planning for it.

Comment

Any word on what that re-branding is going to look like? I guess it'd be a little surprising to see what that looks like before their season ends, but you would think that they've already done most of the planning for it.
                        Kind of hard to expect any announcement on rebranding while the team is still owned by MLS, dont you think?
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                          Add another ball to the field after each extra-time period.
                          Give the soccer referee a hockey stick and let him randomly (ala Milan Lucic) "cup check" players during extra time.
                          The first team to have a guy to not go down (to not dive and flail) wins.
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I'm excited to see where this next cycle takes the USA. It will be a busy four years (hopefully):
                            2015 Gold Cup
                            2016 Copa America
                            2016 Olympics w/U23 (hopefully)
                            2016 Start of World Cup Qualifying
                            2017 Gold Cup
                            2017 Confederations Cup (hopefully)
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              Need to find a new owner for the team first. Probably don't expect anything there until the All Star Game. Things are going slow in MLS business because The Don has been in cancer treatment.
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

It was just a single sentence on Wikipedia, so I have no idea what it would be.

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                I'm excited to see where this next cycle takes the USA. It will be a busy four years (hopefully):
                                2015 Gold Cup
                                2016 Copa America
                                2016 Olympics w/U23 (hopefully)
                                2016 Start of World Cup Qualifying
                                2017 Gold Cup
                                2017 Confederations Cup (hopefully)
                                Win the Gold Cup in 2015 and the Confed Cup is locked up. Copa America is going to be incredible.

As for Olympic qualifying, our U20 team finished last in their group at the U-20 World Cup. However, in CONCACAF qualifying we finished 2nd to Mexico. Assuming it's most of the same team, that means we can actually get into the Olympics with the 2 spots CONCACAF is given.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Working...
                                X