• Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXV - the run up to the World Cup

The Onion breaks down 11 teams to watch during the World Cup
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/wor...sports-culture

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      Nate Silver's 538 blog (now on ESPN) gives Brazil a 45% chance of winning the whole thing....which also suggests that there is a 55% chance that some other team will win.

Argentina 13%, Germany 11%, Spain 8%, Chile and France 4%, Colombia 3%, Belgium England France 2%, everyone else < 1%.

Is it odd to anyone else that he has the Netherlands as underdogs to Chile?
      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
        Is it odd to anyone else that he has the Netherlands as underdogs to Chile?
        Seems odd at a glance, but the Dutch have kind of crap defenders, plus their talented attacking players all hate each other.
        Cornell University Men's Hockey
        NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
        Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Something from today's Wall Street Journal article about Sepp Blatter being a weasel and the Qatar WC being bogus that caught my attention...

Any of the potential outcomes are messy. If bribery allegations are proven, FIFA could be faced with relocating the 2022 World Cup, a move sure to anger the Qataris.
          OH GOD FORBID
          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

And then there is this...

I wonder what will happen if that pitch is used in rain... How torn up will it become?
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
              And then there is this...

I wonder what will happen if that pitch is used in rain... How torn up will it become?
              USA vs Portugal is the 3rd game to be played there...wow that could really suck by then.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                USA vs Portugal is the 3rd game to be played there...wow that could really suck by then.
                Gotta be honest, anything that might eat into Portugal's speed/technique advantage is fine by me.
                Cornell University Men's Hockey
                NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  THe US has been continually f* ked in the a** this entire Cup and it hasn't even started yet.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    THe US has been continually f* ked in the a** this entire Cup and it hasn't even started yet.
                    other than the potential for injury due to the poor field, I can't help but agree with jmh that it helps USA They are likely way more used to playing on crappy pitches with all their games in CONCACAF, not to mention more comfortable in the climate due to fitness and spending time in Florida.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Just read the World Cup preview edition of Sports Illustrated. Could FIFA have done anything else to pave the way to the knockout stage for them? A week before the draw FIFA changed the rules and decided to include the bottom two European qualifiers in the European pot instead of leaving them where they might have had to face someone good. Meanwhile, England, Italy and Uruguay are all top 10 teams and one will go home early. Seeded team: Switzerland (yeah, right). Worst team in South America? Check. Worst team in CONCACAF? Check. All games along the coast and no travel up the Amazon? Check. Just save us all the trouble and slot France in the quarterfinals.

Comment

Greetings from São Paulo.... Had no idea this thread existed, since I spend the majority of the time thrashing about on the Marty Scarano/UNH thread these days.

Been down here a year (got here just in time for the Confed Cup Final). Looking forward to getting very little work done for the next 30+ days. I will say that the run-up has been eerily quiet, save for the occasional protest. The Euros have started to hit Rio in numbers, but it's still pretty subdued. Also saw Marcelo Balboa and his wife on way back down from Atlanta to Rio last Sunday night, resplendent in his white USMNT windbreaker.

Headed to the opener tomorrow, then up to Natal Sunday - first time to the NE, not looking forward to the equatorial climate. Need that opener, and praying for a miracle v. Portugal.

Going out on a limb and saying Klinsmann gets us to the quarters.
                        Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                          Just read the World Cup preview edition of Sports Illustrated. Could FIFA have done anything else to pave the way to the knockout stage for them? A week before the draw FIFA changed the rules and decided to include the bottom two European qualifiers in the European pot instead of leaving them where they might have had to face someone good. Meanwhile, England, Italy and Uruguay are all top 10 teams and one will go home early. Seeded team: Switzerland (yeah, right). Worst team in South America? Check. Worst team in CONCACAF? Check. All games along the coast and no travel up the Amazon? Check. Just save us all the trouble and slot France in the quarterfinals.
                          Agreed with the seemingly easy road, but they did just manage to sneak past Ukraine, and with a Ribery out, I think there's at least an outside shot of them choking. Call it the "curse of the head butt"
                          Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                            Agreed with the seemingly easy road, but they did just manage to sneak past Ukraine, and with a Ribery out, I think there's at least an outside shot of them choking. Call it the "curse of the head butt"
                            Or the Curse of the Hand of Gaul.
                            Twitter: DanMountSports
                            2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

So is this thread going to have scores in it? I'm going to see most weekday games on DVR. Need to know if I'm avoiding this thread.
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Same boat for me
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X