Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Super Bowl XLVIII and NFL Thread: Sherman's March to Jersey

Originally posted by jmh View Post
    New Yorkers aren't hateful, we just don't like Joe Buck.
    while I don't live in NY, I do work in Manhattan, and like most "natives" have mixed feelings about tourists in general. we like it that they spend money, but when too many of them at once start to clog the streets and sidewalks so that you can't get anywhere....

the past few days have been really freaky. they set up a toboggan run in Times Square and lots of other Super Bowl-themed activities (got to see the Lombardi Trophy at least). There is a police helicopter or two hovering overhead constantly. NYPD in bulletproof vests reading "counterterrorism unit" strolling around. Their mobile command unit is just a block from our office. In one way it inspires confidence; they have done a fantastic job in the past 12-1/2 years. On the other hand, it's not fun to know you have homicidal maniacs out there who'd love to see you dead.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      while I don't live in NY, I do work in Manhattan, and like most "natives" have mixed feelings about tourists in general. we like it that they spend money, but when too many of them at once start to clog the streets and sidewalks so that you can't get anywhere....

the past few days have been really freaky. they set up a toboggan run in Times Square and lots of other Super Bowl-themed activities (got to see the Lombardi Trophy at least). There is a police helicopter or two hovering overhead constantly. NYPD in bulletproof vests reading "counterterrorism unit" strolling around. Their mobile command unit is just a block from our office. In one way it inspires confidence; they have done a fantastic job in the past 12-1/2 years. On the other hand, it's not fun to know you have homicidal maniacs out there who'd love to see you dead.
      Yet another reason I don't go above 14th Street if I can help it. My wife works in Herald Square and has been complaining about how crazy it is up there this week; my sister works in Times Square and is just working from home rather than deal with it.

And what does a slide have to do with the Super Bowl, anyway?
      Cornell University Men's Hockey
      NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
      Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Are you trying to tell me the media sensationalized and overreacted to a story without all the facts? Get out of town!
        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
        Originally posted by Quizmire
        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          what's really funny is that Stewart and McKellen are doing Waiting for Godot together. I have a hunch that the Super Bowl will be quite a bit like that play: waiting for something interesting to happen.

Were I a gambling man, I'd take the under (without even knowing the line). This game to me looks like a reply of Super Bowl XXV, Giants vs Bills. The opening drive of the 3rd quarter lasted over 9 minutes. Prepare to be bored.

Meanwhile, SportsIllustrated online does a reprise of some of the best halftime shows, including the famous "wardrobe malfunction" without a blurring of that famous nipple.

The U2 show from Jan 2002 brought tears to my eyes again. that was genius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og0V1...layer_embedded
          Would love to see them do Godot in a small theater.

Comment

Ray Guy gets into Canton. Chris Warcraft is appeased.
            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Fox should have turned Queen latifahs mike off
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Schroeder playing the national anthem on the piano would be a better alternative than most performances.
                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

CRIPES!!!!!!

i just turned this on and thought joe buck & tim mccarver were doing the game!!!!!
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                    Schroeder playing the national anthem on the piano would be a better alternative than most performances.
                    Especially this opera singer

Comment

Great voice. But for a minute I wasn't sure if we were getting the National Anthem or Silent Night.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Peyton has his helmet on, TF

Comment

Has Namath been into the booze again?

God, that was fun...

Comment

So Namath is drinking.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Nice catch by the ref

Comment

1st pick thrown by Namath... Vegas wins all bets in that regard...
                                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Working...
                                X