Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

Had a bomber of Brash Brewing Biggie Smalls. Its a brown ale blend, aged in rum barrels and other barrels, etc. It is extremely good. If you like barrel aged beers, buy this.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

Girliest hard liquor that you can drink while still seeming somewhat manly? My vote: southern comfort.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        Girliest hard liquor that you can drink while still seeming somewhat manly? My vote: southern comfort.
        Some would say vodka, depending on the drink. But otherwise, SoCo is a solid choice.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          Had a bomber of Brash Brewing Biggie Smalls. Its a brown ale blend, aged in rum barrels and other barrels, etc. It is extremely good. If you like barrel aged beers, buy this.
          Never thought I'd see the day you used "Biggie Smalls" and "good" in the same thought.
          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
          Originally posted by Quizmire
          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
            Never thought I'd see the day you used "Biggie Smalls" and "good" in the same thought.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Local distiller just went public with their first bourbon today. Pike Street Bourbon. I'm not enough of a connoisseur to comment either way. I like Makers 46 and I have a fairly respectable assortment of bourbons and whiskeys and Scotch. I like this bourbon and I really think this company is on to something. For the record, I tend to start off my drinks with a little coke and then switch to strictly on the rocks later. The only potential issue? $40.00. The price point seems a little steep for something without a track record but I'm a fan of the little guy and I will $upport them.
              Last edited by gmann; 08-22-2014, 09:53 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gmann View Post
                Local distiller just went public with their first bourbon today. Pike Street Bourbon. I'm not enough of a connoisseur to comment either way. I like Makers 46 and I have a fairly respectable assortment of bourbons and whiskeys and Scotch. I like this bourbon and I really think this company is on to something. For the record, I tend to start off my drinks with a little coke and then switch to strictly on the rocks later. The only potential issue? $40.00. The price point seems a little steep for something without a track record but I'm a fan of the little guy and I will $upport them.
                I usually adjust 20% or so for super small distilleries as to price. Currently drinking a 45th Parallel Border Bourbon (New Richmond, WI; about $48 for a bottle) and it's delicious and I'm a repeat customer. I'll pay extra to support the little guy if the product is good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  I usually adjust 20% or so for super small distilleries as to price. Currently drinking a 45th Parallel Border Bourbon (New Richmond, WI; about $48 for a bottle) and it's delicious and I'm a repeat customer. I'll pay extra to support the little guy if the product is good.
                  Panther Distillery. They have a listing of stores that carry their product on their website. Give them a shot.

For the record, their White Water Whiskey is pure gas. It's a product they could make quick while the real whiskey and bourbon was aging.
                  Last edited by gmann; 08-22-2014, 10:04 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Panther Distillery. They have a listing of stores that carry their product on their website. Give them a shot.

For the record, their White Water Whiskey is pure gas. It's a product they could make quick while the real whiskey and bourbon was aging.
                    I've almost pulled the trigger on their product, but am unsure, and that is based purely on your (self-admitted non-expert) recommendation. What is their best product? I will probably pull that trigger sooner rather than later if I know the exact name of their best.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      Do these companies have distilleries in Bourbon County, KY, or are they just calling their whiskeys bourbons?
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The law changed, I believe.

Yep:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey

Comment

I've almost pulled the trigger on their product, but am unsure, and that is based purely on your (self-admitted non-expert) recommendation. What is their best product? I will probably pull that trigger sooner rather than later if I know the exact name of their best.
                          The whiskey is Minnesota 14 and the bourbon is Pike Street. Like anything else it's either a love it or hate it............
                          sigpic

Comment

The whiskey is Minnesota 14 and the bourbon is Pike Street. Like anything else it's either a love it or hate it............
                            Ah, but if their best is not good....why bother with the rest?

Have taken note, and will keep an eye out.

Comment

The law changed, I believe.

Yep:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey
                              Read the book titled Minnesota 13. Great history of MN (especially central MN) during prohibition. Did you know central MN had the highest concentration of federal agents compared to the rest of the country during the prohibition? Central MN moonshine was affectionately called Minnesota 13 and was legendary and was the prized moonshine of the time. The monks at St. John's had the best recipe and the recipe died with one of the monks. It would be worth big bucks today.......
                              sigpic

Comment

• Be careful with craft distilleries as a fairly large percentage buy their whiskey from the same place in Indiana and just repackage it and mark it up, though of course they don't exactly publicise this. I think the big Indiana distillery is called ABM. Not sure how to link to articles here with my phone but a google search will kick up all sorts of info on it.

Speaking of which, anyone ever try their hand at home distilling?
                                I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Working...
                                X